Southwest's MKE entry

Sounds like this is Southwest's 10/31 schedule:

3x BWI
3x MCI
2x LAS
2x MCO
1x PHX
1x TPA

Certainly this will have an effect on Midwest. But on none of these routes except Kansas City is Midwest the largest carrier. AirTran is, except for Phoenix which is USAirways.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Pretty close to what the Midwest managers were thinking at the meeting...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

For what it's worth, Southwest's current MDW-MCI fares range from as low as $159.20 round trip checking for Tuesday travel several weeks out, to $360.20 for tomorrow. Leisure fares probably won't be that much different, but short-term business fares will fall to much more reasonable levels.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001

3x BWI
3x MCI
2x LAS
2x MCO
1x PHX
1x TPA

Certainly this will have an effect on Midwest. But on none of these routes except Kansas City is Midwest the largest carrier. AirTran is, except for Phoenix which is USAirways.
This is on the mark for the 10-12 flights per day that were forecasted.
The BWI service will really hurt FL, as they have had a lock on the route, since YX pulled out.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:21 pm

3x BWI
3x MCI
2x LAS
2x MCO
1x PHX
1x TPA

I'm surprised DEN isn't being included in the initial roll-out, but otherwise most of the destinations listed above were anticipated.

There's probably room for three carriers on LAS and MCO, especially if these markets grow further.

It will be interesting to see what AirTran does with routes like BWI and PHX, which have not been strong performers for the carrier. TPA seems to come-and-go as well, so maybe it will once again return to seasonal.

MCI may hurt Midwest somewhat, but it's a big Southwest station that can offer more connections to places like LAX, SAN, and DAL.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:29 pm

Let's see what the response is, in turn, from the current players. We have yet to see where YX's second E190 is destined for.

I am surprised at only TPA and MCO for Florida. Unless YX re-enters the market, or DL starts new service, there only will be the 1X daily FL MKE-FLL to cover southeast Florida for peak season.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:24 pm

It would have been entertaining to see a fifth carrier on the MKE-DEN route. Maybe they'll add it later.

I als thought there might be a little bit more to Florida.

3x/day to MCI is interesting, considering all MKE west coast traffic YX has funneled through there recently.

FL will take the biggest hit on most of these routes. It's important to note, however, that FL's costs are lower than WN. FL can charge a lower fare than WN and still turn a profit (assuming that loads are similar).

FL does have a head start in Milwaukee on the PR front. Due to their stepped up marketing and the name recognition they've built up since the YX takeover attempt, a lot of people know who they are, and they aren't afraid to fly AirTran. Having said that, Southwest is a well-known brand that might be able to draw some new traffic from the northern suburbs of Chicago.

Southwest will be a powerful entrant in Milwaukee. For the short term at least, the customer will win, with more choices and low fares.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
For what it's worth, Southwest's current MDW-MCI fares range from as low as $159.20 round trip checking for Tuesday travel several weeks out, to $360.20 for tomorrow. Leisure fares probably won't be that much different, but short-term business fares will fall to much more reasonable levels.
Last minute MKE>MCI can be upwards of $800 to $1,000 for a roundtrip leaving Friday late afternoon and returning late Sunday night. It would save me tons for that flight to cost in the mid $300 range.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: AS,UA
Southwest is now free to book to Jan 2010, i priced out a MCI-MKE flight for 11/6 11/8 and it's 35 bucks each way, i am hoping midwest will match
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
That is a tough fair to match...ouch is the word I believe.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
I also thought there might be a little bit more to Florida.

Southwest will be a powerful entrant in Milwaukee. For the short term at least, the customer will win, with more choices and low fares.
There are Southwest flights from MKE to Florida which are direct (one-stop) to destinations such as RSW and FLL; promotional fares start @$49 each way, + fees and taxes, including during peak travel times, such as toward the end of December!

YX just posted notice on their site that RSW service from MKE resumes in November. I can see a big "sale" coming up.

Other markets seem to be competitively-priced with the existing carriers on the routes.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:13 am

Let the games begin!

The $35 introductory fares (which recognize that Wisconsin is the 35th state to join the Southwest network) must be booked by June 26th. The $35 fares are only available for travel from 11/1-11/18 on the nonstop MKE routes only.

The event this morning was only sparsely attended. Southwest didn't make nearly as big of a media splash as AirTran typically does. But, it's still exciting that Southwest is finally adding MKE to its route map.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:51 am

Let the games begin!
Indeed!

MKE will turn into a revenue blood bath for all airlines that serve the airport. Bad for the airlines, good for the consumer!

I wonder who will blink first in some of these markets?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
Indeed!

MKE will turn into a revenue blood bath for all airlines that serve the airport. Bad for the airlines, good for the consumer!

I wonder who will blink first in some of these markets?
I just had another interesting thought on this. Out of the 6 routes announced today, AirTran overlaps on five of them. Because both AirTran and Southwest charge one-way fares with no round-trip requirement, you could, in theory, fly WN one direction and fly FL the other way (or vice versa). If one carrier doesn't have the flight time or fare that you want, you might be able to build your own itinerary using two different carriers.

I don't know how many people would actually do it this way, but it's an interesting thought. Currently, Midwest flights are typically much more expensive when purchased one-way. I wonder if YX will change their one-way fares on these routes? I also wonder if Midwest will waive change ticket fees or baggage fees on these routes? It's probably doubtful. Southwest played up the lack of fees at this morning's event.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:01 am

Let the games begin!

The $35 introductory fares (which recognize that Wisconsin is the 35th state to join the Southwest network) must be booked by June 26th. The $35 fares are only available for travel from 11/1-11/18 on the nonstop MKE routes only.
I saw my DING! message a little while ago and just booked my first Southwest flight. We will be traveling to Florida for $179.40 (two pax), roundtrip, nonstop, including all fees and taxes; it was just too good to turn down!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.