Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

June 2015 Dubai dream vacation: Where else to go and what miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub

For about the past 10 years I have been planning a trip to Dubai, but life has happened and I have never been able to take it. Well I finally got the green light for a family trip in June 2015. (Myself, Wife, 5 and 7 year olds.) I Live in OKC, but can get to and fly out of DFW pretty easily. Trying to figure out which miles to collect and some stopovers as well. I would like about 10-14 days total, with 5-7 days in DXB, and another 5-7 days somewhere else. Where should that somewhere else be (warm weather, kid friendly, pools/beach)? We have about 700k AA, 300k UR, and 300k MR miles/points right now, but can collect some more in the next year. I would love to find 4 seats in some combination of business and first, but with our family, economy would be ok if it has good layovers and minimum number of stops. I can’t book this for a least another year so I know airlines rules will change, but just trying to figure out what points I should focus on collecting and what a good layover routing spot would be.
THANKS!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: EY Platinum
You do know how hot it is in Dubai in June, right? So hot they have to chill the swimming pools.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Note that the holy month of Ramadan will begin on 18th June. Restaurants and shops may be closed or operating a reduced service during the day. Some hotel facilities may be converted into prayer rooms and not operating as normal.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Jul 18, 2014 at 10:38 am
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by csdf
You do know how hot it is in Dubai in June, right? So hot they have to chill the swimming pools.
Thanks and since i have been planning this for 10 years i am well aware. I am looking at late may through early June which temps average around 105 degree highs. Being from Oklahoma City and Houston, thats what August is.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Note that the holy month of Ramadan will begin on 18th June. Restaurants and shops may be closed or operating a reduced service during the day. Some hotel facilities may be converted into prayer rooms and not operating as normal.
Thanks, i plan on going before Ramadan starts.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by truprunbike
Thanks and since i have been planning this for 10 years i am well aware. I am looking at late may through early June which temps average around 105 degree highs. Being from Oklahoma City and Houston, thats what August is.
The weather is no big deal in early June. It's just like Vegas.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jaymar01
The weather is no big deal in early June. It's just like Vegas.
I agree - it is August and September that you want to avoid.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

Oman is an interesting country with more history to explore than Dubai offers.

Jordan is supposed to be great with sights such as Petra. I'm planning my own trip to Jordan. People who have gone are tremendously excited about it.

There is a lot to see and do in Turkey.

Since this is a long awaited holiday, consider the Maldives. Etihad (see below) flies there from AUH.

Etihad begins AUH-DFW flights in December. I'm told that Etihad routinely offers 2 F and 2 C seats on each flight for redemption. I can't verify every flight, but I can say that I've been able to easily book premium award seats. Award space is now open for June 2015. You can use your AA miles. Etihad has (to this point) given chauffeur service to award redemption passengers. They will take you anywhere in UAE from AUH. Use this link to search for Etihad flights, then call AA to book: http://www.etihad.com/en/plan-and-bo...ption-flights/ You need to search for "Guest First" for F awards. 2 seats are available DFW-AUH in F and 2 seats are available in C on May 31, June 3 and June 5. I didn't look at return flights. F seats are 90K one way and that includes the connecting flight on AA. I believe that C is 67.5K one way, but check my numbers. You have to pay a telephone booking fee, but taxes are only about $50/ticket.

You might find some connecting OneWorld flights within the Middle East. These are short haul flights, thus very few Avios are required. Your AMEX points can be moved to BA for booking.

You are looking at the ideal time to lock up award seats. Etihad has award space open to June 15, 2015. It extends a day at a time. But you said you could not book til next year. If you indeed want to travel June 2015, I encourage you to book now while inventory is available.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 19, 2014 at 2:01 pm
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Since this is a long awaited holiday, consider the Maldives. Etihad (see below) flies there from AUH.
Yes, if was just between my wife and I, Maldives would definitely be the top of our list. With 2 younger kids though, i am not sure it be right for us.

We have been to Turkey before and loved it. We are considering going back, but trying to get other ideas as well.
Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I would second the idea of Oman. Going back in September for our second trip - can't wait. Having visited the UAE in June and August, I wouldn't worry about temperature - it's not like you have to wear a suit all day or work outdoors.

Not sure how well this fits, but how about Goa if Oman doesn't float your boat?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:45 am

hello guys, wanna go to Dubai so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.