Search

Connecting in KWI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few here and there
Connecting in KWI

HI,
I am thinking of taking a trip to Sri Lanka in December of this year. One of the flight options is on United through KWI.

Has anyone been to the airport? Do I need any special visa before getting there? Is it worth making a stop?

Thanks,
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, *A Plat
If you're a UK or U.S. citizen (or a number of others of course) you can get a visiting visa at the airport. It takes a bit of time and involves taking a number and waiting in line. If you are just transiting you won't need one, I believe. But why not spend a few hours or a night in Kuwait City if you've never been?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No visa needed for transit. If not flying Kuwait Airways, transit is not completely straightforward (the other transfer desk was unmanned when I had a 1 hour turn at KWI, causing some problems in getting myself checked in).

(See my trip report.)
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:36 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
have found that if transfer desk is unmanned, a few questions in the appropriate carrier lounge (there are two to choose from) normally helps ruslte up assistance. it's a small airport with not much to do.. but realtively easy process
Old May 21, 2008, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by GK
have found that if transfer desk is unmanned, a few questions in the appropriate carrier lounge (there are two to choose from) normally helps ruslte up assistance. it's a small airport with not much to do.. but realtively easy process
Hi,
Firstime I'm connecting at Kuwait airport next month. I'll have around 6 to 7 hours in the airport between my flights. I'm travelling with my wife and 2 kids (6 year and 1 year old). Will the KWI airport be nice to spend that time or is it a good idea to book the airport hotel for thoese hours. Airport hotel is asking about $140. I can spend this money if the airport stay is going to be horrible. Please advice.
Old May 24, 2008, 12:08 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by s_arunachalam
Hi,
Firstime I'm connecting at Kuwait airport next month. I'll have around 6 to 7 hours in the airport between my flights. I'm travelling with my wife and 2 kids (6 year and 1 year old). Will the KWI airport be nice to spend that time or is it a good idea to book the airport hotel for thoese hours. Airport hotel is asking about $140. I can spend this money if the airport stay is going to be horrible. Please advice.
Not much to do at the KWI airport. It is fairly small (~12 gates) and just a couple places to eat. McDonalds comes to mind for the kids. If you have access to one of the airport lounges it can be a big relief, otherwise six hours is going to be fairly boring.
Old May 24, 2008, 12:53 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
My experience at KWI is that all of the good stuff is not on the airside portion of the airport, hence, you will need some kind of entry VISA. Otherwise, there are a few coffee shop type places but that is about it (no airport bar, either, for obvious reasons.) In the landside portion, there are numerous diversions, including food, shopping, Starbucks, etc. It is a very nice airport, but airside it is somewhat limited.
Old May 26, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA
I just returned from KWI and had a similar dilemma.

You can get a transit visa fairly easily, which is worth it to get out of the small, post-security space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.