Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

18hr layover in transit in Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:45 am
Original Poster

I am British, and I am booking my flights specifically (LHR-DXB-ICN) so that I arrive early morning in Dubai. Then fly to Seoul at 03.30 the next morning.

My checked luggage will be kept by Emirates obviously, so can I just leave the airport with a Visa and enjoy Dubai for the day?

I could book flights that give me a shorter layover, but I am trying to enjoy Dubai for the day without the need of wasting money on a hotel. I have 2 overnight flights where I can try to sleep...Dubai proper is just for the sightseeing.

Will I get any problems at Immigration?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
There won't be any problems.

https://www.emirates.com/english/bef...ion/uae-visas/

Ro

Last edited by RohanDXB; Sep 10, 2017 at 5:52 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Question: on a layover like this, does EK *definitely* keep your checked luggage?

Some airlines are very finicky about allowing pax to short-check. But others are finicky about doing the opposite when a passenger would prefer to have them keep it. (AA is one: they've forced me to collect bags on a 22-hour single-PNR connection at ORD.)

I'll be in DXB for 21 hours in 2 weeks. Single EK PNR connecting onward. I can live with either answer, but I want to pack correctly for it ahead of time.

OP, have you figured out how you're spending your day in Dubai? Mine's an evening through an afternoon... I figure I'll go to the Burj Khalifa, wander through an old souk somewhere, maybe go to the waterfront....other than that, not really sure yet. Don't plan on shopping or spending time in malls...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
I am British, and I am booking my flights specifically (LHR-DXB-ICN) so that I arrive early morning in Dubai. Then fly to Seoul at 03.30 the next morning.

My checked luggage will be kept by Emirates obviously, so can I just leave the airport with a Visa and enjoy Dubai for the day?

I could book flights that give me a shorter layover, but I am trying to enjoy Dubai for the day without the need of wasting money on a hotel. I have 2 overnight flights where I can try to sleep...Dubai proper is just for the sightseeing.

Will I get any problems at Immigration?
RohanDXB has answered your question. Just make sure about your luggage that whether Emirates would keep or not. Otherwise, you will have to find a solution at the last time.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Question: on a layover like this, does EK *definitely* keep your checked luggage?
Yes, Emirates will keep your checked baggage for layovers up to 24 hours in Dubai.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:24 pm

Information free post here, but I like the OP's attitude. Enjoy the 18 hours awake time in a foreign country and sleep on the plane!

I've done something similar, but in my case it was due to delays and the airline putting me on another flight, but I had a similar length of time in Amsterdam (unfortunately including sleeping time) Only maybe six hours waking time in Amsterdam but I thought it was well worth it. Dubai is more exotic and you have more time.

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Sep 16, 2017 at 10:30 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped

Some airlines are very finicky about allowing pax to short-check. But others are finicky about doing the opposite when a passenger would prefer to have them keep it. (AA is one: they've forced me to collect bags on a 22-hour single-PNR connection at ORD.)

I'll be in DXB for 21 hours in 2 weeks. Single EK PNR connecting onward. I can live with either answer, but I want to pack correctly for it ahead of time.

OP, have you figured out how you're spending your day in Dubai? Mine's an evening through an afternoon... I figure I'll go to the Burj Khalifa, wander through an old souk somewhere, maybe go to the waterfront....other than that, not really sure yet. Don't plan on shopping or spending time in malls...
Go see the fountains at the Dubai mall or check out ski Dubai..it will keep you awake and active..there is also a small museum on the history of dubai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.