Community
Wiki Posts
Search

when to arrive at TLV?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
when to arrive at TLV?

this is only me second time in Israel in a few years and while I am looking forward to the trip, I am beginning to regret the return itinerary I set up(!); I am staying in Rehobot and I am scheduled to leave from TLV on an 8am flight. on a Saturday morning

When should I plan on arriving at the airport?

Will the hotel be able to find me a taxi easily enough (presuming I get them to book it in advance)?

I am returning home to the US, would I be better advised to check my bag rather than carry it on?

Thanks for your advice!

Cheers
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
ugh!

"Rehovot"
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by renault4
this is only me second time in Israel in a few years and while I am looking forward to the trip, I am beginning to regret the return itinerary I set up(!); I am staying in Rehobot and I am scheduled to leave from TLV on an 8am flight. on a Saturday morning

When should I plan on arriving at the airport?

Will the hotel be able to find me a taxi easily enough (presuming I get them to book it in advance)?

I am returning home to the US, would I be better advised to check my bag rather than carry it on?

Thanks for your advice!

Cheers
(1) Definitely ask your hotel to pre-book a taxi. Rates will be roughly 25% higher on the Shabbat.

(2) The airport is extremely busy in the early morning, even on a Saturday.

(3) Regardless of whether you're checking baggage or not, you'll need to talk to a security officer ("interview"), though the line should be much shorter if you have hand baggage only.

(4) That time of day, I'd probably recommend arriving 2.5h-3h in advance, so leaving your hotel at 4.30a.m. should be sufficient.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
(3) Regardless of whether you're checking baggage or not, you'll need to talk to a security officer ("interview"), though the line should be much shorter if you have hand baggage only.
It vary greatly, the HBO security interview queue can be longer than normal check-in queue at times, especially if OP can access the priority security queue, I usually fly out of TLV in the morning KL flight, and with priority there is maybe 1 or 2 PAX before me in the normal security queue, where as HBO can be anything between 0 and 50...

The reason to arrive 3HRs before the flight is not because of the queue to the security, it is because of the potential time it might take one to actually go through, which can be anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours.

You should ask your hotel if they can book a taxi from "Hadar-Lod" which would be cheaper than a 'normal' taxi company, you can also call them yourself at 03-9711103/03-9391111
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

I am a DL Platinum Medallion, which usually means I can use SkyPriority check-in and boarding lanes; does that get me anything at TLV?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I am a DL Platinum Medallion, which usually means I can use SkyPriority check-in and boarding lanes; does that get me anything at TLV?
Only priority check-in which is after the security interview, so basically you'll get nothing. Unless you're flying DL I don't think you'll even get lounge access, but that's because of DL policy, not TLV policy.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA
Only priority check-in which is after the security interview, so basically you'll get nothing. Unless you're flying DL I don't think you'll even get lounge access, but that's because of DL policy, not TLV policy.
When flying KL an FB plat, I usually just say SkyPririoty and being routed to the lane marked for business class.
I have yet to try entering the fast-track after check-in when flying Y but it is closed on Saturdays so that makes no difference for the OP.

And indeed, with DL in Y you do not get access to 3rd party lounges.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for responses, one additional q: do taxis from TLV take credit cards?

If I do need to get cash, roughly what is the cost TLV to Rehovot

--p
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for responses, one additional q: do taxis from TLV take credit cards?

If I do need to get cash, roughly what is the cost TLV to Rehovot

--p
Most taxis don't accept credit cards.

I'd estimate a fare in the ~220NIS range on a regular day (i.e. not the Sabbath), but I'm sure someone else would be able to provide a more accurate number.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:57 am

You can calculate the fares here:
http://www.iaa.gov.il/en-US/airports...alculator.aspx

For the return taxi, if you use Hadar-Lod it is cheaper, a normal taxi should cost the same.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Definitely need cash. Most taxi drivers are used to traveling to TLV very early in the morning so the hotel should have no problem reserving a taxi for you.
If you find a nice good taxi driver on your last day in Israel, just ask him/her if they are interested in picking you up in the morning. most taxis would say yes. make sure you agree on the price if they are not using the meter.
3 hours is usually enough. Lots of shops and the place is super lively between Midnight and 8 am when tons of flights leave for US/Canada and to Europe.
Do not stress about security, check in or taxis.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If you use Gett, you can pay by credit card
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by keisari
... 3 hours is usually enough...
Not only is 3 hours usually enough, more than 3 hours is too much. They won't let you into the first screening until 3 hours before flight time, so unless you enjoy standing around in a big departure hall, there is no reason to get there a minute sooner.

At that hour of the morning, it shouldn't take a taxi more than 20 minutes to get to the terminal from most parts of Tel Aviv. Getting it for 4:30 will give you time to load suitcases, do anything else you need to do, pay the driver at the other end and still be there by 5.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Efrem
Not only is 3 hours usually enough, more than 3 hours is too much. They won't let you into the first screening until 3 hours before flight time, so unless you enjoy standing around in a big departure hall, there is no reason to get there a minute sooner. .
I don't enjoy standing around but many people come very early and usually by the time security opens (pre check in) there is a line already in place - at least for some of the flights.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for help and info

Some pointers

Biometric screening of US passports is not available on entry, though it IS available on the way out

Taxi fare from TLV to Rehovot midweek was 150NIS, back on Saturday morning at 4am was more like 200NIS; cash in both cases even though the hotel ordered a cab with credit capabilities. I had only 150NIS but was able to make up the diff with US dollars

Saturday morning was relatively light, even the taxi driver was laughing at me for being three hours early--I didn't mind, who needs sleep anyway?

No queue at pre-screening, but I believe it helped being early.

There is a SkyPriority line at check in, only one other pax there when I lined up

Checkin counters for DL/AF/KL did not open till about 5:15

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.