Community
Wiki Posts
Search

when to arrive at TLV?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Traveled from TLV last week on an 8:AM ELAL flight. We were in Business Class and had only carry on luggage. Arrived at 6:AM and security and check in only took a few minutes. We had plenty of time in the King David Lounge to enjoy a bountiful and delicious breakfast.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Last time that I flew out of TLV, I arrived shortly after 5:00 am for a 7:30 am BA flight on a Saturday morning. After checking in and passing the security interrogation, I had over two hours to kill; I was flying Y, with only carry on luggage, and had no lounge access. It does help if one is obviously Jewish or speak Hebrew.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:30 pm

It is irresponsible to recommend less than three hours to an unknown tourist arriving at the airport at an unknown time.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:40 pm

I will agree with mbgg above and say that it is irresponsible to recommend less than 3 hours to anyone. TLV security DOES and WILL spend extra time with a passenger that concerns them. The 3 hours is meant to ensure that you make your flight even if you do have a secondary check. Security doesn't care if you only leave 2 hours and their checking means you miss your flight. They care that they are 100% satisfied that the passenger is not a security risk.

Don't forget YOU know you are not a security risk, they don't. Can you imagine the potential problems if they cared if you missed a flight. Late passenger, minimal check, overlooked explosive, plane ... or departure area...
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by mbgg
It is irresponsible to recommend less than three hours to an unknown tourist arriving at the airport at an unknown time.
I don't speak Hebrew. I was traveling in Business class had only carry on and I obviously had my passport information well-vetted prior to check in. Two hours was sufficient under those circumstances. The security nightmare was transiting Zurich from our El Al Flight. Terrible.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:11 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Datapoint ≠ recommendation.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: US Platinum, DL GM
I have a 6 am flight (UGH!) out of TLV on Sunday morning. I am not checking any luggage and I have my boarding pass. If I leave my hotel at 3 am, should I expect that to be sufficient?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by SleepPHL
I have a 6 am flight (UGH!) out of TLV on Sunday morning. I am not checking any luggage and I have my boarding pass. If I leave my hotel at 3 am, should I expect that to be sufficient?
The airport is at its busiest on a Sunday morning. As I stated previously, since we know nothing about your background, who you visited and what you did in Israel, it would be irresponsible to recommend anything less than arriving at the terminal three hours before departure.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:06 pm
Suspended

this article explains it all

although the reporter was starting out from LHR and flying LY, I feel it applys to everyone flying out of TLV on any carrier

http://www.zdnet.com/article/trump-a...urity-customs/

if you think your profile will send up the flag , plan on at least 3 hrs and at times that may not be enough.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by craz
although the reporter was starting out from LHR and flying LY, I feel it applys to everyone flying out of TLV on any carrier

http://www.zdnet.com/article/trump-a...urity-customs/

if you think your profile will send up the flag , plan on at least 3 hrs and at times that may not be enough.
It should be stressed that this story is valid only if "your profile sends up the flag". The vast majority of tourists go through security with only a nominal amount of questioning.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:47 am
Suspended

It should be stressed that this story is valid only if "your profile sends up the flag". The vast majority of tourists go through security with only a nominal amount of questioning.
1 small problem, is most folks wont know if in fact they will be a part of the targeted profile class. Some cant but realize they will be, others wont know till they get there and find out the hard way.

My point was if a person thinks they may fall into a profile that will targeted give yourself alot more time then less time , worst comes to worse they werent targeted and spend some extra time ar BG(TLV). Also if what you plan to do is not something most non frequent flyers would do dont expect the Israelis to understand, as Ive told some folks years ago flying into Europe and back on the same plane immediately raised the flag, since it wasnt something that most folks would do and it took some time till they understood what a mileage run was and why those crazy Yanks would do it. The fact that MRing was normal to those who did it doesnt hold for those looking from the outside in
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by craz
1 small problem, is most folks wont know if in fact they will be a part of the targeted profile class. Some cant but realize they will be, others wont know till they get there and find out the hard way.
You also never know if and when it will happen. On one trip, we entered the country @ TLV w/no delay. We left TLV with not more than a few questions. We flew to ETH with a few questions. We were separated and given the Nth degree for quite some time on an ETH/TLV flight, with the respective officers comparing our "stories." Totally unexpected and surprising.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by renault4
Biometric screening of US passports is not available on entry, though it IS available on the way out
Really? Mrs. Pickles, a US citizen, entered Israel last summer with her biometric passport with no trouble. Has this changed?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Pickles
Really? Mrs. Pickles, a US citizen, entered Israel last summer with her biometric passport with no trouble. Has this changed?
Only holders of a biometric Israeli passport or Teudat Maavar (lasseiz passer, Israeli travel document in lieu of passport) can use the kiosks to enter Israel. Anyone else must go to the manned desks.

On exit, any holder of a biometric passport (or TM) can use the kiosks.

Did Mrs. Pickles use the kiosk? Does she have an Israeli passport?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Only holders of a biometric Israeli passport or Teudat Maavar (lasseiz passer, Israeli travel document in lieu of passport) can use the kiosks to enter Israel. Anyone else must go to the manned desks.

On exit, any holder of a biometric passport (or TM) can use the kiosks.

Did Mrs. Pickles use the kiosk? Does she have an Israeli passport?
Nu? She did use the biometric kiosks against the wall in the immigration hall with a US passport. The kiosk spit out the little printed card that you stick into the turnstile to get out of immigration. Remember it distinctly as I thought it was pretty cool.

Unless my memory is really bad...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.