Wiki Posts
Search

Madain Saleh

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Madain Saleh

hello

I am aware of the very tight regulations to get a visa to the magic kindgom, but anybody would be aware of a travel agency having the right contacts to organize a visit to KSA and especially the nabatean site of Madain Saleh?
I precise i am based in Europe and so OUTSIDE KSA, so the chances are virtually nil, but until 2010 it was possible, so maybe with good connections, some TA can still make it ???

Transit visa can be sometimes granted, i saw a couple of reports of people who managed to sneak in KSA like this, but i am afraid it would be innaplicable to allow a visit to Madain as it is rather far away.....
Pity not to be able to visit this wonder :-(

Thanks for spreading any knowledge
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
I visited Mada'in Saleh in 2011 whilst working in KSA. I made phone contact with a guide I'd found online (trip advisor??), flew from RUH to MED, and we drove up from there. I believe you can now fly to much closer airports (Al 'Ula ??).

The problem will be getting a visa, as you seem to be aware. If you do manage to get a transit visa, there shouldn't be any restrictions on domestic travel once you're in the country. I doubt you'll get a tourist visa unless you're Muslim and visiting for Umrah. If you know someone working in the country they may be able to sponsor a business visa, but it will be v expensive now.

It is definitely worth a visit and is almost deserted compared with Petra, which is overrun by tourists. The Nabbateans are indeed an interesting lot.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9

The problem will be getting a visa, as you seem to be aware. If you do manage to get a transit visa, there shouldn't be any restrictions on domestic travel once you're in the country. I doubt you'll get a tourist visa unless you're Muslim and visiting for Umrah. If you know someone working in the country they may be able to sponsor a business visa, but it will be v expensive now.
pretty sure those on hajj/umroh visas can't leave Makkah/Madinah

(this website seems to say those on umroh visas get can a transit visa at JED, but there's still no mention of a "tourism" visa)

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Apr 2, 2017 at 5:25 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Tourist visas don't exist for KSA. Only in 2015 did someone from the government announce there were no intentions to start them. Although with the oil prices slumping, maybe they will introduce them in the future.

As for Madain Saleh, I wouldn't bother, it's not overly interesting, particularly when compared to Petra, and as mentioned, very out of the way. Al Ula does indeed have an airport with flights from Riyadh and Jeddah, but Medinah is the closest main alternative or Jeddah at a push.

I visited whilst working out there as part of a road trip from Riyadh so can't comment much about flights, but as for the visa, well, I've known a couple of people to try and go via agencies but without much luck alas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.