Wiki Posts
Search

Beirut... seeking insight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Beirut... seeking insight

Trying to pick a place in the middle east thats great for photography. Would like to hear people's thoughts on Beirut as well as suggestions of where to go (not just pictures, other things welcome to). I hear the nightlife is incredible there too.

Overall, would you say its a place worth going, one that you would long to go again/return to?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Very biased opinion... YES!!! It is worth a visit and there is so much to see and do in Beirut and outside Beirut. When are you planning the trip? Winter activities are in full swing at the moment (clear blue skies, snow capped mountains, etc) and yes, the nightlife is always buzzing (with weekend parties up on the pistes after everyone is done skiing for the day)...
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in Beirut last September for a weekend and loved it. And yes I will return.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The landscapes and natural scenery in Oman are very photogenic. However, it lacks the nightlife and cosmopolitan culture of Beirut.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Don't listen to the local, he is very much biased hehehehe --- just kidding. BEYFlyer is actually spot on. BEY is a great place to visit. A trip to BEY alone would be great but nearby one can visit Jeita Grotto, Byblos and the lady of Lebanon - Harissa all in a day trip. And the food. OMFG -- best I've had anywhere. Nice folks too, e.g., my day-trip driver saw me walking as I was trying to find a bus near the National Museum (awesome museum) and gave me a ride. Night life was fun too. One can get a beer and some Arak without breaking the bank but be careful, the higher end areas are higher end re $$$$.

Would I go again? Yes. In fact I went twice in a 6 week period and have been looking for flight deals back ever since.

As for photos, my first trip to BEY was to meet up with fellow FTer JohnnyColombia and his photos are publicly available

/

Go and have fun

Cheers

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Very biased opinion... YES!!! It is worth a visit and there is so much to see and do in Beirut and outside Beirut. When are you planning the trip? Winter activities are in full swing at the moment (clear blue skies, snow capped mountains, etc) and yes, the nightlife is always buzzing (with weekend parties up on the pistes after everyone is done skiing for the day)...
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:24 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Totally agree with this thegrailer character.

Wonderful wonderful city, he didn't invite me back for the second trip so clearly I was a jerk. As such I only say Beirut but wow it's amazing.

BEYFlyer is a brilliant local sage and has tonnes of valuable info.

All very walkable, a city of contrasts but all parts of it cool and photogenic, as my august travel companion points out, great food and wonderful people.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
At least you have the self awareness to understand your limitations .

I invited you to ORD for boat ride -- too bad livingthedream99 (aka ORD Mark) probably didn't have as much fun (?)

And there was that trip to BAQ. Still sour we didn't have time to see the Shakira monument?

I'm game for another BEY trip. We'll stay with BEYFlyer this time ^

Cheers

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Totally agree with this thegrailer character.

Wonderful wonderful city, he didn't invite me back for the second trip so clearly I was a jerk. As such I only say Beirut but wow it's amazing.

BEYFlyer is a brilliant local sage and has tonnes of valuable info.

All very walkable, a city of contrasts but all parts of it cool and photogenic, as my august travel companion points out, great food and wonderful people.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:35 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Definitely. I loved Byblos and very photogenic.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:55 am

Thank you for your kind words thegrailer and JohnnyColombia. Mi casa es su casa, so anytime you feel like coming over again, let me know
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Just to clarify, the Jeita Grotto is spectacular, but photography is strictly prohibited. Lots to do and see in Lebanon, so it will be worth the trip if you plan it right and explore the right places.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:37 am

Indeed... And if you happen to see any significant army and/or police presence anywhere in the city or outside, please refrain from taking pictures...
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Add me to the list -- Beirut is a beautiful and vibrant city. I loved visiting back in 2012.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Questions for BEYFlyer

I will be spending a very short and quick weekend in Beirut visiting a very dear family friend who was born there after a couple of weeks of a mission trip in Kenya
When I arrive at BEY, do I just pay for a visa on arrival? No need to apply in advance?
Flying on QR out of Beirut back to the US. Can I get my luggage wrapped at BEY? Now that I have to pack my camera body in my luggage I would like the extra security of a wrapped bag. Damage to the camera body is another issues entirely though.
Do you know if I can bring any lenses in my carry on? Going BEY>DOH>DFW>BNA. I assume I will need to check both laptop and camera body in BEY? Bringing an old and slow laptop so I don't care if it breaks but the camera body I do.
Arrive on a mid day Saturday, then depart on a 1:30am flight on a Tuesday.
With that short a time there, what should I ask the friend to show me? She is in her upper 80s but has family and friends there of course.
Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I heard from Emirates cabin crew that the place is amazing fun, seriously not to be missed. Dangerous for those single guys going there, depending on your definition of dangerous! I personally would enjoy the cultural mix that is there, the interaction with the people, the food and the geographical diversity (snowy mountains v desert landscapes). Must be great for photography. Although seeing major historic sites is great, I am one for getting off the beaten track and have had my most interesting experiences doing so.

Both Beirut and Amman are on my list of places to go to soon!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
When I arrive at BEY, do I just pay for a visa on arrival? No need to apply in advance?
Are you a US citizen? If so, no need to pay, its free. When you arrive just get in the immigration line.(Not the visa on arrival line)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.