Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

AMM Evening Layover: What to Do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador

I'll be arriving in AMM at 5pm for an 18-hour layover on 2/28 (outbound flight departs at 11:30am on 3/1). Unfortunately, most of that layover will be overnight.

Planning to overnight at the IC, so factoring in time for picking up baggage and getting through immigration, I should be at the hotel by 6:30-7pm. I'd like to see a bit of AMM before heading back to the airport the next morning. Thoughts on how to do this? There's not enough time for Jerash or museum visits. I'm thinking about whatever might be close to the hotel/third circle or a scenic drive to the airport on the morning of 3/1 to get a flavor of the city itself. (FYI, I did a longer tour of Jordan last year -- Petra, Wadi Rum, Baptism site, Dead Sea, etc., but skipped AMM.)

I'm considering a visit to Rainbow Street after checking in -- spend a couple of hours in the evening checking out shops, etc., maybe grab a bite to eat. Plus, it would be good to be outside after 11 hours on a plane. Is it safe/reasonable for a solo female traveller to walk to Rainbow Street in the evening or would a quick taxi ride be a better idea? What about an early morning (e.g. 8am) visit? Are shops open at that time? What are the not-to-miss spots on Rainbow Street?

In terms of seeing some of the city in daylight, is it worth hiring a taxi or private driver to take me on a bit of a scenic drive on the way to the airport? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.