Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Visa required to go to baggage claim and rebook {DXB}?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Hi all, would appreciate very much some feedback re. this question. I am planning on travelling from Sao Paulo Brazil to Dubai via South African Airways, and from Dubai to Bangalore (India) using Emirates. Making a connection within hours.

First question. Since I am using different airlines does this mean I have to claim my baggage in Dubai and recheck it in for the Emirates flight to India?

Second question My nationality requires a visa to enter the UAE. Would I need a visa to get to baggage claim and recheck bags once more. I would be at the airport all along.

Any information you can offer would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
If your all your flights are on one ticket then your bags should be checked all the way through to BLR. If you have separate tickets then you will have to ask the check-in agent at GRU to interline the bags in which case you would not have to clear immigration and re check your bags. According to EK website they do have an interline agreement but I would call SA just to confirm. If they do not then you would have to get a visa to clear immigration and recheck bags.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:33 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Or have a look at this thread re: Marhaba Service which may be of use to you.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...ugh-dxb-2.html

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
SAA does not fly to Dubai, therefore from Johannesburg onwards you would be flying on Emirates metal under an SAA codeshare and thus your bags will be checked through.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
SAA does not fly to Dubai, therefore from Johannesburg onwards you would be flying on Emirates metal under an SAA codeshare and thus your bags will be checked through.
The passenger is starting in GRU though. If on one ticketed itinerary, then the checkin agent in GRU should check the bags to BLR. If there are 2 separate tickets, then there is no obligation to check the bags through and down to whether the agent will check the bags thtough or not

It would be very wise to be prepared that may well need to have the bags collected in DXB and plan accordingly. If then the bags are checked through or not, then no problems
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The passenger is starting in GRU though. If on one ticketed itinerary, then the checkin agent in GRU should check the bags to BLR. If there are 2 separate tickets, then there is no obligation to check the bags through and down to whether the agent will check the bags thtough or not

It would be very wise to be prepared that may well need to have the bags collected in DXB and plan accordingly. If then the bags are checked through or not, then no problems
But mentions flying SAA to Dubai, meaning EK, and GRU on SAA means connection in JNB. I think it's very likely the bags will be checked through. Most probably it is one ticket.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you kq747, Saltire74, Skywardhunter and Dave Noble. Most kind of you to reply and send in information and suggestions. Yesterday evening was offered the following itinerary (most economical) by the travel agent. Two separate tickets. One on Ethiopian and one on Emirates. Sao Paulo to Dubai via Ethiopian Airlines. Few hours transit in Dubai and connect Dubai to Bangalore (India) via Emirates. Unless I travel with carry on only, I understand now that I would have to get a visa to nip over to baggage claim and re-check the bags in Dubai.

Assuming I travel with carry on only there might still be a problem. On the journey to India I could check in to the Emirates flight while in transit in DXB as there are enough Emirates customer care centres in the transit area.

On the return, while in transit in DXB, how would I check into Ethiopian Airlines? Would this require going through immigration etc to reach the Ethiopian check in at the airport.

Sorry to trouble you kind readers with one more question but would truly appreciate any input before I finalize. Thank you.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:55 am

Sorry for asking; but wouldn`t it be cheaper and easier to fly EK GRU-DXB-BLR??
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Read through the useful thread linked in reply #3.

There is a service you can pay for at DXB that will intercept your bags and relay them to the next carrier. IIRC it costs around 300 dhs ($80) and is designed specifically for people who would otherwise need a visa to go landside and re-check.

http://www.marhabaservices.com/engli...ces/meet-greet ... click on the 'transfer' tab.

You can get onward boarding passes from the airside transit desk.

Remember that with separate tickets, if the inbound flight is delayed, the next carrier has no obligation to you if you miss your flight. Two separate tickets = two separate contracts.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you ZRHMD11 and sharp5flat9. It might be wiser after all to travel Emirates the whole way instead of breaking into two separate tickets. As sharp5flat9 pointed out if the inbound flight is delayed and you miss your onward flight then nobody is responsible for the loss except yourself. This in itself makes it a good idea to travel one carrier to the final destination. We have a saying in Portuguese " o barato vai sai main caro," meaning that which is very cheap might finally turn out more expensive. Two separate tickets might lead to problems and further expense. Thank you all for your suggestions and help.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You should be able to checkin at the gate for the other airline's flight or transfer counter if they have one. Since you're already in the airport there's no need to have a BP issued at the checkin counter. I'd carry a copy of your reservation for the other flight 1)to show at the EK checkin otherwise they're going to ask where your visa is, and 2)In case you're asked at DXB to show proof that you're connecting before you get checked in at the other airline.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:27 am

Ethiopian and Emirates operate from different terminals in Dubai (Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 respectively) and there is no longer a direct airside connection between the terminals - it requires a bus and is a lengthy process.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you flyerCO and B747-437B. Most useful information. It gives me a clearer picture of what its like if one buys two separate tickets and the transfer process at DXB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.