Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

how strictly does TLV security enforce "liquids must fit in quart-size bag" rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how strictly does TLV security enforce "liquids must fit in quart-size bag" rule?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Hi,

While I have no problem keeping my liquids in my carry-on restricted to containers at most 100 mL in size, I can't fit all my liquids in one quart-size bag. This has never been a problem for me at American airports -- TSA has never commented on it; however, when I flew out of LHR last summer, the screeners were VERY strict about enforcing the quart-size bag rule, and it was a disaster for me. How strict are the screeners at TLV/Ben-Gurion airport wrt the quart-size bag rule?

thanks
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
That rule does not apply to TLV airport, you can have containers larger than 100 ml and have them unbagged, if you have a connecting flight consider that when packing as they might have rules similar to the UK or US, but TLV shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:21 am

TLV officially does not have a rule about liquids, I personally carried beers and other liquids in bottles bigger than 100ml with no issue.
Unofficially, some pax reports that you might get told in pre-checkin security that you are not allowed to take liquids with you and you will have to check them in.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Just to add, there is no rule that you have to take liquids out of your bag either.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
One important caveat to those saying there's no rule:

If you're flying to USA on a direct flight, then you may run into trouble at the gate.

When flying LY, they stop people and open your bags to see if you have liquid, so if you have any liquids, you need to store it at the bottom of the bag.

If flying UA/DL, they ask you at the gate, but rarely actually check your bag.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I asked at the checkpoint once if I had to take out the liquids. They said "no, we have real security here, we don't play games."
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I asked at the checkpoint once if I had to take out the liquids. They said "no, we have real security here, we don't play games."
Did they laugh also?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Reminds me of driving into Canada last year. When I got to the line for the crossing, I held up my Global Entry card and asked if I could use that to get into Canada. The line was tiny versus the regular line (I thought it was GE line) The guard mistakenly waved me into the fast line. When I got to the booth, the guard said the card was not acceptable to get into Canada.

I freaked and asked what I need to do, how do you make a U-turn inside a country border? He laughed, said, "We are not TSA. Please wait a minute while I leave my booth to get my Supervisor's stamp. Sorry for the inconvenience".

Oh, Canada!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
I was surprised when my wife took a trip and told me they took bottles of water through security - so a month ago we all took 500ml bottles of mineral water through in our hand luggage - no problem at all.

+1000
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:11 pm

I've gone through with 3 liters of water and about 6 red bulls!!
Israeli Security does not care about what you bring, rather who you are
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
One important caveat to those saying there's no rule:

If you're flying to USA on a direct flight, then you may run into trouble at the gate.

When flying LY, they stop people and open your bags to see if you have liquid, so if you have any liquids, you need to store it at the bottom of the bag.

If flying UA/DL, they ask you at the gate, but rarely actually check your bag.
I can only speak about UA. Ive found if you arent in Biz or allowed to board early(Group1) then the agents do go thru numerous carry-on bags even after the person said they had no liguids.Ive seen them at times move their hands what appeared to be all around the bag and to the bottom.

That said I agree the best is to simply put your liquids on the bottom and covered with a few layers of things as most of the time all they will do is have the person open the bag and look at whats on top w/o touching or moving anything. This is only at the gate, security couldnt care as its been posted already.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:22 pm

Interesting to read that you all had no issues with liquids, that is the opposite of my experiences. Can I ask what your security levels were? I'm guessing that's what caused them to be difficult with me.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
I took a 6 pack of 1.5L bottles through security in TLV (a type of non-alcoholic malt beer, known as black beer that I cannot find elsewhere)
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Really ? No-one said anything about 9L of black beer ?

(+ can't you find close relatives like "Maltina" elsewhere ?...)

Originally Posted by seaskybound
I took a 6 pack of 1.5L bottles through security in TLV (a type of non-alcoholic malt beer, known as black beer that I cannot find elsewhere)
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Djokison
Interesting to read that you all had no issues with liquids, that is the opposite of my experiences. Can I ask what your security levels were? I'm guessing that's what caused them to be difficult with me.
It has little to do with security levels and everything to do with profiling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.