Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Touring Egypt Independently (well, almost)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Is it possible to do a tour of Egypt without involving a company to book my hotels, Nile river cruise, etc?

The mark ups that tour package operators charge are very high (The price quotes I've gotten so far hover around 2k). I'm figuring that I could save a lot of money if I book my own river cruise and hotels, and hire tour guides only to show me around the main attractions.

I've never heard of anyone doing this. Is it possible? Would such a trip run smoothly? Or, is it worth the extra cost to simply spring for a tour company?

FYI: I would like to do the following:

-Cairo city tour (on my own)

-pyramids, Sphinx, Sakkara, Memphis

- Alexandria (on my own)

- Nile river cruise to Aswan, Luxor, Kom Ombo, Esna, Edfu, Abu Simbel, etc.

- Hot air balloon ride over Valley of the Kings & Queens

- Felucca ride around Aswan islands

- 5-star hotels and cruise ship

Last edited by joer1212; May 7, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Old May 7, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by joer1212
Is it possible to do a tour of Egypt without involving a company to book my hotels, Nile river cruise, etc?
Of course it's possible: it's not difficult, and (successful) planning can be a very satisfying part of the trip.

Hotels, you might already have your own preferences and affiliations: if not Tripadvisor could be your friend. You can make reservations through hotel websites or consolidators such as hotelscombined, trivago or momondo.

Agencies can be helpful in arranging guides, otherwise work through the tourist office or hotel. On self-guided tours rent a taxi (or a hotel car ) by the hour or for the day: with a guide, he will make the arrangements. Uber and Careem work well in Cairo.

One of the principal roles of the guide is to insulate you from the multitude trying to sell you things and services around tourist sites: you can do the pyramids on your own, but there will be a large measure of hassle.

Felluca captains will find you if you walk along the Aswan/Luxor corniche. Up to you to get an idea of prices, and judge the character of the captain.

There'll most probably be quite a number of cruise ships tied up in Luxor. you could ask around about passage on a cruise to Aswan, if that's what you want to do. But here a local agency might be a useful intermediary.
Old May 8, 2016, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Of course it's possible: it's not difficult, and (successful) planning can be a very satisfying part of the trip.

Hotels, you might already have your own preferences and affiliations: if not Tripadvisor could be your friend. You can make reservations through hotel websites or consolidators such as hotelscombined, trivago or momondo.

Agencies can be helpful in arranging guides, otherwise work through the tourist office or hotel. On self-guided tours rent a taxi (or a hotel car ) by the hour or for the day: with a guide, he will make the arrangements. Uber and Careem work well in Cairo.

One of the principal roles of the guide is to insulate you from the multitude trying to sell you things and services around tourist sites: you can do the pyramids on your own, but there will be a large measure of hassle.

Felluca captains will find you if you walk along the Aswan/Luxor corniche. Up to you to get an idea of prices, and judge the character of the captain.

There'll most probably be quite a number of cruise ships tied up in Luxor. you could ask around about passage on a cruise to Aswan, if that's what you want to do. But here a local agency might be a useful intermediary.
Thanks.
Can the entry tickets to the sights be purchased online? This would save time an hassle when I arrive in Egypt. I've read that there are horrendously long lines for the attractions.

Last edited by joer1212; May 8, 2016 at 3:03 am
Old May 8, 2016, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by joer1212
Thanks.
Can all the entry tickets to the sights be purchased online? This would save time an hassle when I arrive in Egypt.
To be honest, I don't know - but i doubt it very much! However, buying tickets at the museum, pyramids is straightforward IF you approach the kiosk/guichet yourself, and don't allow yourself to be waylaid by chancers/helpers.

It also helps if you know what the prices and visiting hours are. Tripadvisor can help: if you find no ready-made answers there, post a forum question as there are in situ country experts happy to respond.

BTW, the museum is a good, central, place to find a pool of licensed free-lance guides: they tend to hang around the ticket office, hoping to show visitors round the museum, but many will be open to wider commissions.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
To be honest, I don't know - but i doubt it very much! However, buying tickets at the museum, pyramids is straightforward IF you approach the kiosk/guichet yourself, and don't allow yourself to be waylaid by chancers/helpers.

It also helps if you know what the prices and visiting hours are. Tripadvisor can help: if you find no ready-made answers there, post a forum question as there are in situ country experts happy to respond.

BTW, the museum is a good, central, place to find a pool of licensed free-lance guides: they tend to hang around the ticket office, hoping to show visitors round the museum, but many will be open to wider commissions.
I've read that the lines can be very long, though I find this unusual since Egypt is experiencing dramatically decreased tourism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.