Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai ~5hr day stopover advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, VS, SA, HH

Hi all,
Having a layover in DXB for an Emirates JNB-MUC flight from 08:15 – 16:00 on 26 Dec 2016 so should have a few hours to do some basic sightseeing.
Firstly, is an hour to leave and two hours to enter T3 a "safe" time, considering the date? If so, that should give me around five hours of actual time spent outside of the airport.

Going on a tour to the Burj Khalifa observation deck is something I'll do for sure but as I'm pressed for time I wonder if there's anything else nearby which is a quick walk away, or any sights I can't miss?

Also, I'm sticking to a tight budget so while many recommend using taxis, I'd like to use the metro. Is there easy service from T3 to the Marina/Burj Khalifa? Also, is this recommended or is it worth the money to just get a taxi? Really don't want to miss my flight. Fyi the layover is not on a Friday so metro will be running.

Hoping to make it a fun day. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Last edited by baharini; Sep 26, 2021 at 6:42 pm Reason: Meant layover, not stopover. Corrected.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
This is perfectly possible and your timing calculations are about right. Whilst Xmas is celebrated by expats and there will be decorations everywhere, it isn't a public holiday.

The metro red line runs from T3 direct to Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa metro station. Tickets for the Burj Khalifa are available online from 30 days before. In and around the mall you also have the aquarium, fountain and 1200 stores to pass the time. It's about 30-40 mins between the airport and 'downtown' so leave the city around 1.30pm. Stand right at the front of the first metro car for a great view.

One caveat: I don't believe ZA passport holders are entitled to a visa on arrival, so you'd need to arrange this in advance.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
This is perfectly possible and your timing calculations are about right. Whilst Xmas is celebrated by expats and there will be decorations everywhere, it isn't a public holiday.

The metro red line runs from T3 direct to Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa metro station. Tickets for the Burj Khalifa are available online from 30 days before. In and around the mall you also have the aquarium, fountain and 1200 stores to pass the time. It's about 30-40 mins between the airport and 'downtown' so leave the city around 1.30pm. Stand right at the front of the first metro car for a great view.

One caveat: I don't believe ZA passport holders are entitled to a visa on arrival, so you'd need to arrange this in advance.
Thank you for the advice! Would you say 11:00 would be a suitable time for a Burj Khalifa tour then, or rather 12:00?

Will be flying in on my British passport so will use the VOA, good you mentioned that anyway!
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:48 am

It's a 10 min walk from the metro station (indoors, moving walkways) to the mall, then another 10 mins through the mall to the Burj entrance on the LG level. Collect your ticket from the machine (code on the confirmation email), then thru airport style security and another walk to the lift. So allow maybe 30 mins from stepping off the train until reaching the top. You probably won't want more than an hour at the top.

Once down again, you're very close to the rear entrance of the mall and the fountain. There are lunchtime shows on the hour and half hour. You could pick somewhere to eat with a view or just stand outside.

The aquarium is near the front entrance; it's well worth a walk-by even if you don't pay to go inside. Plenty of stuff on youtube for all of these. The massive food court is on the 3rd floor, near to the exit back to the metro link.

This is a view from the observation deck: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qltpp0pj3p...63929.jpg?dl=0

And in this one you can see the walkway from the metro station to the mall: https://www.dropbox.com/s/23rvnntu8k...sized.jpg?dl=0
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Sounds like this is going to work perfectly, it's great that so many attractions are all in the same area.

When leaving the airport, is the visa-on-arrival done "instantly" at immigration, i.e. no forms to sign or other delays?
Additionally, since it's an EK connecting flight I wouldn't have to pick up my checked in luggage, right? A confusing comment on Tripadvisor stated that you'd have to pick up and re-check-in your luggage if you plan on leaving the airport on an EK layover, I presume this is just plain wrong? (can't find the link to it right now).

Last edited by baharini; Apr 23, 2016 at 10:22 am
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:06 pm

No, just join the line, wait an indeterminate time and smile for the officer and the camera. Usually the officer will say no more than "visitor?" and then stamp your passport.

Your bags will definitely be checked through for a connection of <24 hrs. You can store your carry-on bag if you wish: http://www.dubaiairports.ae/before-y...ggage-services

Change some money at the exchange or use an ATM for cash and follow the signs for the metro. There's only one line at the airport - the red line. Get a train headed towards Jebel Ali (possibly now rebranded UAE Exchange), and towards Rashidiya on the return to the airport.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the help, I can't appreciate it enough! Reassured about the bags, that was the main worry I had.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Inbetween Burj KHalifa and the big ... mall there is a smaller mall. Its across from where the "fountain show" is. Its a lot more low key and has some interesting antique shops. I bought a cool arabic style lamp when I was there last time, they even encourage haggling.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:02 pm

That's Souk al Bahar, across a small bridge. There are some al fresco restaurants as an alternative to dining in the mall.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Presume it's a lot cheaper to eat there too.. Will take a look.
Also, looking on Google Maps, it looks like the mall and Burj Khalifa are physically separated – is there an underground tunnel to travel between them or do you walk outside to get there? Not important, but just bothering me. Same with DXB terminals, is there an underground train/travelator to travel between T3 and the station?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Do the evisa if you can in advance to save time
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:40 am

>> Presume it's a lot cheaper to eat there too.. Will take a look.
Not necessarily so. TGIs and 5 Guys are both at the rear of the mall. There was a recent thread here on restaurant options to watch the fountain.

The entrance to the observations deck ('At The Top') is in the LG level of the mall. Once you have got your ticket from the kiosk and have passed security, there's an indoor walk to the lift/elevator.

The setup at DXB is designed to confuse. T1 and T3 are separate entrances/exits to effectively the same airside area, which is comprised of a number of concourses. T2 is completely separate on the other side of the airport. I wouldn't like to guess which concourses you will arrive at and depart from.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Apologies for the late response.
Checked out the thread on restaurant options, there might be time to visit Souk al Bahar so will have to see how things turn out at the time; at least there won't be lack of options.
About the setup of DXB terminals, I'm still confused, as for actually travelling between the terminal buildings and the metro station or parking lots; is this accomplished via underground travelators (moving walkways), a short train, or some other means?

It's honestly astonishing to think that you can travel from another continent to the (near) top of the tallest building in the world in an artificial climate without even stepping outdoors
Old May 1, 2016, 8:26 am

Just follow the signs for arrivals. I rarely use EK so I rarely see T3, but there will be some combination of shuttle train (possibly, depending on concourse), walkways and escalators, to exit at T3 arrivals. Then just follow the signs to the metro. You can buy tickets at the station, either from a machine or a human being.

>> It's honestly astonishing to think that you can travel from another continent to the (near) top of the tallest building in the world in an artificial climate without even stepping outdoors

If you you came in mid summer you'd understand why In December it will be very pleasant outdoors. Depending on aircraft type you may have a bus ride to the terminal, and a brief breath of fresh air.

Do take a quick look at the aquarium is you have time. It's near the main entrance to the mall. Pretty impressive, even the free view from the outside.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:53 am
Original Poster

To be honest it would be quite an experience visiting mid summer, I've never experienced heat like what Dubai experiences. (The "fun" will probably wear off instantly )
Will visit the aquarium and T.G.I. Friday's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.