Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Visa requirement for a trip to Egypt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

I am planning a trip to Egypt from Athens with Aegean Airlines. I have got multiple entry Schengen visa and I am holding Indian passport. I checked with nearest Egypt (Houston) Embassy and they informed that no visa is required for indian but asked to check with Airlines. I have sent mail to Aegean Airlines asking whether I need visa or not. But did not get any reply yet.

Anybody have any experience or suggestion? This may not be a correct forum but posting hoping someone have some idea.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You DO need a visa according to TIMATIC, unless you fall into one of the exempted categories.
Maybe the agent was thinking that you held an American passport? (and even then, that is visa on arrival.)
I am not an Indian national (and hold a passport that would allow me 3 months visa entry), but I can tell you that A3 will allow/deny you boarding based on TIMATIC.
(for future visa queries, just use said link and change CAI in the link to the country/airport code of your desired destination.)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:20 am

Where in Egypt are you traveling to?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by heartshacker
I am planning a trip to Egypt from Athens with Aegean Airlines. I have got multiple entry Schengen visa and I am holding Indian passport. I checked with nearest Egypt (Houston) Embassy and they informed that no visa is required for indian but asked to check with Airlines. I have sent mail to Aegean Airlines asking whether I need visa or not. But did not get any reply yet.

Anybody have any experience or suggestion? This may not be a correct forum but posting hoping someone have some idea.
I'm not nit-picking, but the Houston mission is not an embassy. It's a consulate general - which should have the same status as the consular office attached to Egypt's Washington embassy, but may lack some expertise in affairs not concerning the US and Egypt. So call again and ask them to verify the the Indian passport issue, without reference to Schengen (which of course counts for nothing in Egypt).

I've seen internet chatter about this on tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...als-Egypt.html, where a single Indian passport holder claims to have got a VOA. It doesn't take much effort to create mischief on the internet

The Egyptian visa situation is complicated by having separate procedures for access only to Sinai's Red Sea resorts. But, again, these wouldn't be of relevance to you, flying into Cairo.

Bottom Line: You almost certainly require a visa, and I doubt that you can get one on arrival. So you might have to get your skates on.

Athens might be quicker and more convenient, though there can sometimes be be stickiness about issuing visas to third country nationals.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 30, 2015 at 4:46 am Reason: correction
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. First I called Washington embassy but they asked to call Houston as I come under that embassy. Next time I will call and mention a place so that they think I am under Washington embassy. When I called Houston, I specifically mentioned about my Indian passport. Initially they told that visa is required but when I mentioned that I have found some article about visa on arrival is possible for indian, they mentioned that if airlines are allowing then visa on arrival is possible for Indians. Basically I read the same article you mentioned. Internet may miss lead you very easily.

I will be traveling Sep 2nd week and have no time to apply for visa now. So have to try luck (based on internet) which is for sure not going to click. Good part is I will be flying to Athens from Rome the day before I am planning to Egypt (My destination is Cairo). After landing I will have a talk with Aegean airlines. If they say it is allowed I will come back next day for my Cairo trip, if not then enjoy Athens. I will be loosing few hundred dollar if I have to cancel my cairo trip.

Lets say I can board the flight but after landing in cairo shall I face issue? I have read everywhere (mainly us passport holder) that u can purchase visa sticker for $25 on arrival.

Hoping for the best.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:16 pm

Simple answer. If you are flying into Cairo, you need a visa in advance (or some serious ability to negotiate with immigration - its doable but not easy - your first challenge will be getting on the plane without a visa anyway).

If you are flying into Sharm El Sheikh, no problem getting a visa on arrival as an Indian. And even though the visa technically restricts you to the South Sinai, there is no practical restriction on you taking a domestic flight up to Cairo. However, exiting from Cairo could also cause you a problem without an appropriate visa.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Simple answer. If you are flying into Cairo, you need a visa in advance (or some serious ability to negotiate with immigration - its doable but not easy - your first challenge will be getting on the plane without a visa anyway).

If you are flying into Sharm El Sheikh, no problem getting a visa on arrival as an Indian. And even though the visa technically restricts you to the South Sinai, there is no practical restriction on you taking a domestic flight up to Cairo. However, exiting from Cairo could also cause you a problem without an appropriate visa.
You are correct. Its not good idea to do this adventure. Skipping Cairo trip. No refund for flight ticket though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.