Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi/Dubai - USD to United Arab Emirates Dirham

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA

What is the best way to get United Arab Emirates Dirham currency? Get it while I am in Los Angeles? or at the Abu Dhabi airport? where is the best place in Dubai to exchange USD to AED? (I don't have a ATM card). Thank you
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:08 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Don't bother in LA.

Bring USD and exchange some at the airport upon arrival. There are also many currency exchange shops across town and in all shopping malls.

Here is an example for rates: http://www.uaeexchange.com/uae-excha...-rates/ae/urss

Take note of some FX rates if you are concerned airport may not have best rate. In that case exchange enough to get you by till you reach an alternate location.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: EY Platinum
The exchange rate is fixed, so most places will give you identical rates, bar any commission.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:41 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by csdf
The exchange rate is fixed
...at $100 USD for AED 367.25.

So if you're offered AED 364 per $100, that's less than 1% off the true rate. I'm sure it's possible to do better, so it depends on how much you want to exchange and how much time you want to spend checking each shop's rates.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA
Thanks for the info. Will Amex prepaid/ATM works there? What bank ATM do I look for? Thanks much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.