Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kuwait - Is it really that bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Most advice on here and other sites is that Kuwait is boring, dull, etc... not worth more than a day. However, the Lonely Planet guide mentions a number of sites that sound interesting: Tareq Rajab Museum, Beit Dickson, Grand Mosque, Modern Art Museum, Maritime Museum, Gulf War history museum, al-Quwain Martyrs Museum, the fountains, the souk, the corniche....

It sounds like it's would be worth a 3 day visit, though guidebooks can make any place sound exciting.

So for those who have been, is it worth a 3 day visit? For what I have already been to Dubai, Qatar and Oman and I don't particularly care about the lack of alcohol.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Hi
i have been there. We stayed 3 nights. I was there mainly because we got a great deal to get there and then fly further on another deal. I think 1 day is ok or maybe 2. 3 if you do all the museums.
thing was, i wanted to go to Falaika Island which turned out on THAT day there was no tourist boat going and we were advised not to go alone on a private boat. THere is some old greek ruins there and you can see much of the past war. so, we kind of ended up driving twice a bit around.

see some info here:
http://www.christravelblog.com/kuwai...21-2014-01-05/

cheers
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, A3-Gold
While the museum, Gulf Road, Kuwait Towers and Falaika are worth seeing if you happen to live here, which I've done since 2010 ( 30+ years in the region), I wouldn't waste my time/money on a visit unless it's to chalk up another country on your bucket list or to witness, first hand, how little development has taken place in the last 15-20 years when compared to its neigbours. Virtually everyone I know, including Kuwaitis, takes every opportunity to decamp to Dubai.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:51 pm

Couldn't agree more with dmilsi.

For my last job I traveled quite a bit in the region (based in Amman) and spent time in Kuwait. Once the one or two meetings I had to do were complete, I found myself killing time at a mall because it was the only thing to do! Of all the Gulf countries, I found Kuwait to be the most boring.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I too am planning on visiting Kuwait next year, to use up some remaining Saudia miles. Thought it could be an interesting destination that I’m unlikely to go to otherwise. I wondered if a 3 day visit would be enough and if it is as bad as people say it is. I will probably go there in late August, which means it will probably be really hot there. But the heat doesn’t bother me as much as others (I was born in a hot country) and maybe hotels will be cheaper in the summer.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I wouldn't say it is awful, but it's just sorta dull. Much like saudi imo.

I visited the towers, corniche, mosque, and a few nice parks around the city. It filled my time fine, but any more time may drag on with no nightlife.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:12 am

I have been there too due to business reasons and I'd still prefer Dubai instead
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:22 am

Not really sure but I think Alcohol is Allowed in Kuwait isn't it?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by SergeyKulkinov
NO alcohol, importing = 10 years in jail and even private consumption at home can get you fined or tossed in jail. That being said, I think 1-3 days in Kuwait would be fine, and the Four Seasons there is lovely. I was there for 1 night earlier this week and could have done with another day to see more of the city. It beats Bahrain, that's for sure!
RonaldX11 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Kuwait has an absolutely beautiful Parliament House. It is designed by the same architect as did the Sydney Opera House. Try to visit.

The biggest shopping mall there - the one with a Louis Vuitton and an IKEA under one roof - is a tourist destination all by itself.

I also found wondering by the Corniche and seeing all the families out enjoying themselves quite uplifting !
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:18 am

My girlfriend and I spent 3 days there earlier this year. As others mentioned, it is definitely dull but we actually loved it for a short trip. There are lots of museums and walking around is very easy (minus the insane amount of construction happening). What we really liked about Kuwait versus other gulf countries is 1) the country has a pretty interesting history and 2) the people are super friendly and welcoming. Unlike other countries in the area, people there we met couldn't believe we had traveled just to visit and were extremely open and welcoming; something I haven't necessarily found in the other countries (considering you won't even meet any Emiratis in the UAE, for example).
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
Most boring country I've visited to date. Spent 2 nights there after a long layover visit in Bahrain, where I should've stayed longer. I walked for about 8 hours around Kuwait City and I rarely saw a car, or even a person unless it was in the shopping mall or by the towers. I give ex-pats credit who live there, it's amazingly dull, and probably the least entertaining airport I've ever been through either.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SergeyKulkinov
It is not allowed!!
You can be fined for drinking and selling alcohol in Most Gulf countries including Kuwait, KSA, Bahrain, and Qatar, you may also spend long time in prison for that, so watch out.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by RonaldX11
It is not allowed!!
You can be fined for drinking and selling alcohol in Most Gulf countries including Kuwait, KSA, Bahrain, and Qatar, you may also spend long time in prison for that, so watch out.
Alcohol is quite freely available in hotels in Bahrain and Qatar, and residents can buy from alcohol stores for home consumption. In all, more countries in the GCC allow alcohol than ban it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.