Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai taxis - very hard to get these days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

There was a time when you could step outside and there would be half a dozen taxis awaiting your custom in Dubai. Taxi journeys were ridiculously cheap as there wasn't any other way to get around.

Now there's a bus and Metro network, taxi fares gave increased a lot, but it's trying to get hold of a cab that's become an issue.

We've just spent 40 minutes in downtown Dubai trying to hail a cab in 45 degree heat. The worst time seems to be between 2pm and 5pm. Taxi drivers will simply drive on as they don't want a fare in the rush hour.

So beware if you're trying to get a cab in Dubai in the a Summer months. It can take a long time these days.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: DL,EK
I lived in Dubai 2005-2008 and while there was no metro, it was difficult to get a taxi during rush hour then too.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
4 questions:

1. I assume though it will be possible to get taxi from DWC to city centre? How much would that cost?

2. And from Burj Khalifa to Palm Jumeirah? How much would that cost?

3. Does a tourist have to be careful of the the drivers maybe cheating or are they reliable and honest?

4. Do they speak English?

Thanks.

Last edited by benberg2013; Nov 10, 2015 at 2:46 am
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:31 pm
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
3) no cheating or shady business here. penalties are severe so they are more than polite and by the book.
4) they can't drive a taxi without English. Not an issue. Know exactly where you want to go however as Dubai directions aren't always easy...even for taxis.

3-5 is the time shifts change over so don't expect someone to grab you. This is changing as they toy with staggered shifts.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by hsk
4) they can't drive a taxi without English. Not an issue.
Their idea of what constitutes English conversation and your idea of what constitutes English conversation are likely to be quite divergent.

If you are ok with an interaction of you saying something and them responding with "yes sir", "OK sir", "thank you sir" or "sorry sir", then you will probably be ok.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Stick to the beige colored taxis, those are the official ones. Avoid the limousines the hotels try to get you to take. I had no difficulty in getting a taxi at about 4pm by the gold souk in Deira, or hailing one in the street over in Bur Dubai. Probably a question of luck more than anything else. Helps if you can put your finger on the destination on a map for the driver. Not always necessary, though.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:27 am

Very minimal English from the 5-10 trips I took, way more than I expected, can't get anywhere without taxi

very safe, they always ran the meter, minimum 12 AED
I hate the toll charge 4AED on crossing the bridge or using highway, from Deira -> WAFI mall is 4AED every time!!

Waited 30 minutes at Deira City Center (Saturday 4:30-5pm) for taxi, insane... driver said it's because that mall is mostly short/cheap trips vs. other malls (we waited quickly at Dubai Mall just the night before no problem)

WAFI mall taxi queue - no problem on Sunday or Monday

One can use www.rome2rio.com or Uber Dubai to estimate taxi fare
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Yes, around 4pm is shift change time and notoriously difficult at this time. Otherwise I never have a problem. Use the call centre or app if you have problems. One driver took pity on me once and gave me a free ride because he was off shift and it was on his way back to the depot.

Regarding conversation, it helps to have a interest in cricket I find the drivers mostly chatty and friendly, happy to talk about their lives, home countries and families if you take an interest. I learnt some Amharic the other week.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Agree with the OP. I have had real difficulty lately finding taxis in Deira during the afternoon rush hour, especially at the notorious "shift change" around 4:00pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.