Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

when will the middle east forum be broken into separate countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 4:57 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold

I guess the title says it all. how come this forum subsection hasn't been broken into smaller countries like Europe and Americas subsections have. it would be nice to structure it by individual countries and multi-country trips.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I think the number of threads in the forum may be too low to make to make this necessary or desirable.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:12 pm

The way the Middle East is going, it looks like it will be splitting into a lot of smaller countries in the future ...
Old May 27, 2015, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What would be the purpose? The forum seems to work fine as is. There's just not as much travel from the Flyertalk users to this region in comparison to Asia or Europe. And there is no restriction. You can post about travel to any country or any set of countries in the ME and answers come back quickly.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by fadynaime
I guess the title says it all. how come this forum subsection hasn't been broken into smaller countries like Europe and Americas subsections have. it would be nice to structure it by individual countries and multi-country trips.
You'd have to make a rational case for that to happen. We managed to get it for Brasil within the S America forum. But I think you might find it difficult to put together a justification for what you want.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Personal opinion: this is not a good idea for (at least) two reasons:

1. It doesn't get so much activity that looking for recent posts of interest is difficult.

2. People often want to visit more than one country in this area during the same trip. Scanning recent threads shows topics like "Israel and Jordan," "Abu Dhabit or Dubai," and "Petra from Israel." They're far from a majority, but there are enough of them to matter.

Still, if you want to pursue this idea, you might want to read this thread about how to proceed.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fadynaime
Which Countrys do you think should be on its own? Obivously all of them cant be on its own, so you must have a list of which should be

btw what do you do with say Eqypt which is a part of Africa as is Libya,Algeria,Moroco,Tunsia etc which are muslim countrys but located in Africa, shouldnt they be in the Africa forum rather then the ME. Or turkey which wants to join the EU and considers itself European. Could be once you move those Countries that arent located in the ME to their correct forums there will be alot less traffic and problem solved

Last edited by craz; May 28, 2015 at 8:39 am
Old May 28, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
Personal opinion: this is not a good idea for (at least) two reasons:

2. People often want to visit more than one country in this area during the same trip. Scanning recent threads shows topics like "Israel and Jordan," "Abu Dhabit or Dubai," and "Petra from Israel." They're far from a majority, but there are enough of them to matter.
Abu Dhabi and Dubai are not countries.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA/AA
I'm still trying to figure out why Cyprus, a member of the European Union is located here.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jaymar01
I'm still trying to figure out why Cyprus, a member of the European Union is located here.
AFAIK only part of the island of Cyprus is in the EU.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK only part of the island of Cyprus is in the EU.
Yea, but Turkey is also included as part of the European forum.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess like the airlines, it's all about geography rather than politics or religion.
Cyprus is a tossup though. It's kind of equi-distant to the ME and Europe.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I guess like the airlines, it's all about geography rather than politics or religion.
Cyprus is a tossup though. It's kind of equi-distant to the ME and Europe.
Exactly. Just like the airlines. And, every airline alliance includes Cyprus (both sides) as part of Europe.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly. Just like the airlines. And, every airline alliance includes Cyprus (both sides) as part of Europe.
Yeah, but they also include Israel as Europe. At least some of them. Like I said, Cyprus is a tossup.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yeah, but they also include Israel as Europe. At least some of them. Like I said, Cyprus is a tossup.
Star, OneWorld and SkyTeam Alliances all include Cyprus as Europe, and Israel as the Middle East.

Who includes Israel as part of Europe? I'd like to know for my own future bookings.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.