Wiki Posts
Search

Israel car rentals

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental
Israel car rentals

I need to rent a car for a week at TLV airport.
The rates are fairly cheap, around $130 or so.
Can someone give me an idea what the required insurance will cost?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I need to rent a car for a week at TLV airport.
The rates are fairly cheap, around $130 or so.
Can someone give me an idea what the required insurance will cost?
Prices vary by rental company and car class. Liability insurance is included in the base rate. Comprehensive coverage starts at about $10 a day.

If you have any Chase or a Citi AAdvantage credit card, Israel is no longer excluded from their collision damage waiver coverage.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

OK thanks
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:56 pm

- take the MAXIMUM insurance (no deductible for damage).
- look at the rental company's Israeli web site (xxxx.co.il) and not their international one (xxxx.com); the Israeli web site is more accurate in case of price/terms discrepancies.
- there are no drop-off charges in Israel; you can pick up and drop off the car at different locations (except Eilat).
- the company with the most recommendations on the forums is "Eldan"; the one with the most complaints is "Shlomo-Sixt".
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

I called Chase, they do have primary CDW coverage...
Is there any other insurance that I required to buy?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Tell them you want to waive the CDW.

Don't go with Shlomo Sixt!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:18 am

YOu will be required to buy Liability. You also need to bring a letter from Chase stating in writing that their credit card covers the CDW.

I also think you are being penny wise and pound foolish. If you have an accident or damage to the vehicle, you will be paying out of pocket, gathering all necessary documentation from the accident and rental company and then presenting it to the credit card insurance company for reimbursement. This is a royal pain!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never needed to provide any sort of letter or documentation to waive the CDW in Israel.

They make everyone get the ביטוח חובה - hence the name, compulsory. But the מקיף (comprehensive) they do indeed allow waiving if you want to, no questions asked. They remind you that the copay is on you in the case of damage. As for CDW, if you tell them about the credit benefit, they waive it - never have they asked me for anything
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:33 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by awayIgo
You also need to bring a letter from Chase stating in writing that their credit card covers the CDW.
Not in my experience. I had such a letter with me. The Eldan agent was not interested in seeing it. He simply obtained a larger authorization against my credit card (~ $2,500) as a security deposit.

Most credit card loss damage waiver claim processes are quite streamlined nowadays. In my opinion, if one has that coverage through a credit card issuer, LDW or CDW is a waste of money.

Edited to add: OK, Josh types faster than me.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by awayIgo
YOu will be required to buy Liability...
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I have never needed to provide any sort of letter or documentation to waive the CDW in Israel...
Originally Posted by TWA884
Not in my experience...
My experience is consistent with the last two posts. However, I've only rented from Eldan. It's possible that other firms have different policies.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: HHD
We rented from Sixth at TLV Hilton and were satisfied. Had some mechanical trouble and Sixt at the airport swapped the car which was a smooth process. We had full insurance at astound 10 euro a day.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Most credit card loss damage waiver claim processes are quite streamlined nowadays. In my opinion, if one has that coverage through a credit card issuer, LDW or CDW is a waste of money.
^

Edited to add: OK, Josh types faster than me.

Originally Posted by Efrem
My experience is consistent with the last two posts. However, I've only rented from Eldan. It's possible that other firms have different policies.
I've had the same experience also with Avis, and also from "off-locations" (not the airport or branches that generally have tourists; mostly Bnei Brak and Petah Tikva)
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I have AmEx rental car insurance. For $19, it is the primary CDW for entire rental up to 30 days. Does anyone have experience with this insurance in Israel.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I have never had any issues getting the CDW waived in Israel when covered on my CC.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I have AmEx rental car insurance. For $19, it is the primary CDW for entire rental up to 30 days. Does anyone have experience with this insurance in Israel.
Did you mean with getting the rental agency to waive the CDW or to file and process a claim?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.