Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Celebrating father's 60th birthday in Jerusalem - your feedback is welcome!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: price is a king

Hey there,

First of all – I’ve been trying to set up this trip for at least 15 years. Various family conditions made arrangements really hard. But there we go – me, my father and three other friends are flying to Israel for 4 days to celebrate his 60th birthday. So excited. I’ve based the below itinerary on my previous trip to Tel Aviv / Jerusalem, I so hope my father (and others) will enjoy it.

Here’s the plan:
- We’re flying from Warsaw to Tel Aviv on 15ht overnight, landing @ Ben Gurion around 4AM. Yes, not the best start of the trip, but connections are scarece.
- On 16th morning we’re going straight to Jerusalem, checking into the hotel, and off we go to walk around the city
- On 17th (FRIDAY!) we’re planning to continue to explore Jerusalem
- On 18th (father’s birthday!) we’re planning to go to Dead See and Masada
- On 19th planning to take them to Tel Aviv and show them “modern side” of Israel
- On 20th they have a plane back to Warsaw on some ungodly hour

Would you mind advising on few things please:
- I was planning to rent a car at TLV and use it through the entire stay – how hard(=costly) is to park in Jerusalem (outside the Old City of course!) and Tel Aviv
- In Jerusalem – would you have your favorite places to eat middle-eastern food – spots that tourist don’t know.
- Going to Masada and Dead Sea on Saturday – does it make sense? Is the business running (cable cars) or shall we shift days?
- (I’m serious) – is it possible to celebrate my father’s b-day at Western Wall by opening a bottle of liquor and drinking a toast? I’m aware of bar mitzvah, but how about b-days?

I’m quite flexible on shifting days around, so happy to take your feedback on locations, spots etc

Thanks so much!
mfk
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik
Here’s the plan:
- We’re flying from Warsaw to Tel Aviv on 15ht overnight, landing @ Ben Gurion around 4AM. Yes, not the best start of the trip, but connections are scarece.
- On 16th morning we’re going straight to Jerusalem, checking into the hotel, and off we go to walk around the city
- On 17th (FRIDAY!) we’re planning to continue to explore Jerusalem
- On 19th planning to take them to Tel Aviv and show them “modern side” of Israel
This generally seems like the right structure. Obviously you're on a short trip, but this pretty much what I'd advise given the number of days you have.

However, I'd consider shifting the 17th and the 19th. Jerusalem starts to shut down pretty early for Shabbat on Friday, especially at this time of year. Of course, there is plenty to do Friday afternoon that will still be open, e.g., the non-Jewish portions of the Old City. But rather than having to plan around Shabbat and worry about things closing, just do Tel Aviv on Friday and spend your 2nd day in Jerusalem on Sunday when everything is open all day.

Would you mind advising on few things please:
- I was planning to rent a car at TLV and use it through the entire stay – how hard(=costly) is to park in Jerusalem (outside the Old City of course!) and Tel Aviv
- In Jerusalem – would you have your favorite places to eat middle-eastern food – spots that tourist don’t know.
- Going to Masada and Dead Sea on Saturday – does it make sense? Is the business running (cable cars) or shall we shift days?
- (I’m serious) – is it possible to celebrate my father’s b-day at Western Wall by opening a bottle of liquor and drinking a toast? I’m aware of bar mitzvah, but how about b-days?
1) I don't drive in Israel because both driving and parking are both major hassles, so I'll defer to others on details. But generally, it will be difficult and/or costly.

2) Azura in the Machane Yehuda shuk (Iraqi food, famous for the Turkish eggplant and the red kubbeh soup). Chatzot on Aggripas Street right across from the shuk (grilled meats, famous for the Jerusalem mixed grill). Sabichya on Shamai street near Ben Yehuda (sabich is a "sandwich" of grilled eggplant and a bunch of other good stuff in a pita). Jachnoun Bar on Hillel (for Yemenite "malawach"). For falafels, I like the Yemenite Falafel Center near the Ethiopian Church. For hummus, I like Pinati on King George. For shawarma, I like Moshiko on Ben Yehuda. Tourists might know some/all of these places (c.f. the Yemenite Falafel center is a total hole in the wall), but that doesn't mean the locals don't love them too. And if you ignore all the recs and just go to a random place, chances are that it will still be pretty good; there aren't a whole lot of crappy tourist trap restaurants with terrible food.

3) It makes perfect sense. Less traffic on Saturday, too. Many tourists do this on Saturday.

4) I have no idea, and I've never seen this asked anywhere online. You can certainly bring food and drink past the Western Wall security checkpoints. Israel also makes it illegal to drink from an open container in public, but everyone drinks in public and this isn't really enforced. My gut tells me that this is the sort of thing where there might be no actual rule (Israel isn't a country of rules) and you'll most likely be okay, but some random security person in a bad mood could say something. I certainly wouldn't open up a bottle of booze and do a toast inside the prayer areas because that's disrespectful, but the Western Wall plaza is huge and you probably are fine to do it outside the pray areas. And, Bar Mitzvahs at the Western Wall are just religious ceremonies, and the wild celebrations would be held elsewhere after the religious stuff is finished, so it isn't as if people are having drunken parties at the Western Wall.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:47 am

I am not familiar with parking in Jerusalem, but I suggest staying in a hotel that provides parking.

In Tel-Aviv there are plenty of reasonable public lots, for example: under HaBima Theatre (the end of Rothschild St), along the beach near Neve Zedek, at the Reading and Arlozorov Terminals, etc.

Massada and the Ein Gedi Nature Reserve are open on Saturday.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I have found this site which says that the cablecars do run on shabbat :

http://www.touristisrael.com/masada-dead-sea/848/
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
However, I'd consider shifting the 17th and the 19th. Jerusalem starts to shut down pretty early for Shabbat on Friday, especially at this time of year.
That's a VERY valid point. We'll do things other way round then!

- On 17th planning to take them to Tel Aviv and show them “modern side” of Israel
- On 19th we’re planning to continue to explore Jerusalem and drive back to Tel Aviv in the late afternoon.

1) I don't drive in Israel because both driving and parking are both major hassles, so I'll defer to others on details. But generally, it will be difficult and/or costly.
In Tel-Aviv there are plenty of reasonable public lots, for example: under HaBima Theatre (the end of Rothschild St), along the beach near Neve Zedek, at the Reading and Arlozorov Terminals, etc.
Given all the travel mentioned so far I think I am going to drive around. Thanks for all info on parking. Hotel in Jerusalem provides space, we'll be good in Tel Aviv and I hope there will be some space at Masada and Dead Sea.

I
have no idea, and I've never seen this asked anywhere online. You can certainly bring food and drink past the Western Wall security checkpoints. Israel also makes it illegal to drink from an open container in public, but everyone drinks in public and this isn't really enforced. My gut tells me that this is the sort of thing where there might be no actual rule (Israel isn't a country of rules) and you'll most likely be okay, but some random security person in a bad mood could say something. I certainly wouldn't open up a bottle of booze and do a toast inside the prayer areas because that's disrespectful, but the Western Wall plaza is huge and you probably are fine to do it outside the pray areas. And, Bar Mitzvahs at the Western Wall are just religious ceremonies, and the wild celebrations would be held elsewhere after the religious stuff is finished, so it isn't as if people are having drunken parties at the Western Wall.
Thanks. It is more about one toast. No long parties

Originally Posted by mbgg
Massada and the Ein Gedi Nature Reserve are open on Saturday.
Originally Posted by helosc
I have found this site which says that the cablecars do run on shabbat :
http://www.touristisrael.com/masada-dead-sea/848/
Fantastic - this makes our plan viable

thanks for the food ideas so far, let me know if you have further spots

best!
mfk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.