Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

which sanctions apply to the average US citizen tourist visiting Iran?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by blueonions

thanks!
I have no idea what you're trying to ask -- are you wanting to know how the sanctions imposed on Iran by the US and other nations would affect you as a tourist there? If that's what you're asking, the only thing I can think of would be that your US credit/ATM cards won't work in Iran.

If you're asking whether there are any Cuba-style travel bans/restrictions, there are none.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
the only thing I can think of would be that your US credit/ATM cards won't work in Iran.
Yes. This. According to the U.S. State Dep't website:

Credit cards and bank cards cannot be used in Iran. It is easy to exchange U.S. dollars for rials, either at banks or with certified money changers; however, you will not be able to access U.S. bank accounts using ATMs in Iran. While in Iran, avoid accessing a U.S. bank account via the internet, since the account will immediately be frozen or blocked by the bank due to U.S. government economic sanctions. Traveler’s checks can be difficult to exchange. Bring enough hard currency to cover your stay, but make sure you declare this currency upon entry. There is no Western Union or similar institution and bank transfers may not be possible.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

If you're asking whether there are any Cuba-style travel bans/restrictions, there are none.
does this mean:

(1) US citizens are allowed to purchase tickets on Iran Air for travel between 3rd countries and Iran?

(2) US citizens can bring back Iranian goods/souvenirs?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Folks, don't make things up!

OP, a review can be found here.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by blueonions
does this mean:

(1) US citizens are allowed to purchase tickets on Iran Air for travel between 3rd countries and Iran?

(2) US citizens can bring back Iranian goods/souvenirs?
1) The sanctions don't restrict you from buying a plane ticket on Iran Air -- whether between 3rd countries and Iran or internal flights within Iran. The issue is a pragmatic one -- how do you pay for the ticket if you can't use your US CC on Iran Air's website? I don't have first-hand experience, but this is discussed a lot on FT/Thorntree/TA, and I think the consensus is that you need to buy the tickets through a travel agent.

2) $100 per person limit. I've read online that people who want to bring back something expensive like a carpet will have the Iranian merchants send the goods to you in the US via some other neutral country like the UAE.

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Folks, don't make things up!

OP, a review can be found here.
Yes, OP should read this, but it's not so approachable and I don't think anyone on this thread has given the OP incorrect information.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

2) $100 per person limit. I've read online that people who want to bring back something expensive like a carpet will have the Iranian merchants send the goods to you in the US via some other neutral country like the UAE.
Exactly, and some will even take your CC and route it via a UAE server, if the purchase is large enough.

The Chinese do business with Iran every day laughing all the way to the bank at the west's sanctions.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: UA,DL,AA,Hilton,Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott,Taj, Shangrila
You cannot use your credit cards for hotels, meals, sights, gas etc. Many stores selling expensive goods (rugs, jewelry, etc) have deals with businesses in other countries to run credit cards for an additional fee. Carry all purchases with you. Only change $$$ at recommended dealers. As Americans we had to have a guide(handler) with us every day, but we went out freely at night. Also watch how things are quoted we got confused on arrival about rials and tomans. Rials are the currency but a toman is 10 rials. You will get quotes both ways. In Tehran make sure to see the jewels in their version of the federal reserve.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by traveler52
You cannot use your credit cards for hotels, meals, sights, gas etc. Many stores selling expensive goods (rugs, jewelry, etc) have deals with businesses in other countries to run credit cards for an additional fee. Carry all purchases with you. Only change $$$ at recommended dealers. As Americans we had to have a guide(handler) with us every day, but we went out freely at night. Also watch how things are quoted we got confused on arrival about rials and tomans. Rials are the currency but a toman is 10 rials. You will get quotes both ways. In Tehran make sure to see the jewels in their version of the federal reserve.
Hi traveler52,
I see your location as SNA - I'm in BUR and am very interested in visiting Iran. Did you use a local agency to book your tour? Or can you recommend a reputable group to sign up with?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.