Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAE Bank Cards in Israel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:12 am
Original Poster

UAE Bank Cards in Israel

I know this sounds perfectly obvious in hindsight, but none of my UAE bank (credit & debit) cards worked on my trip to Israel last week!

I've used my HSBC Visa & Mastercards in places such as Vietnam, Kyrgyzstan, Tanzania etc. so I guess I was lulled into thinking they would work in a modern, first world country such as Israel (but foolishly not considering the political situation).

The receptionist at the hotel where I was staying said that it happens quite often, with expats from the UAE only finding out when their cards are declined when they try to use them.

Anyway, just a bit of a warning to anyone in a similar situation who doesn't think ahead like me.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Just to clarify, were the cards the "European" type cards with chips or plastic only?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thumper
Just to clarify, were the cards the "European" type cards with chips or plastic only?
Yes, both credit & debit cards had chips. Tried multiple ATM's as well as at the hotel, and they said "This service is not available to you" & "Please contact your bank".

All cards worked ok the previous day in Jordan too.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:38 am

Maybe the cards were programmed not to work in Israel ...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Interesting. I would've thought it would be connected to the network, and not the bank. Furthermore, HSBC has a presence in Israel!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:12 am

Everyone appears to assume that it is the ATM's fault ......

We know that the ATMs can identify the card, but can a card identify the ATM ?

Last edited by mbgg; Jan 8, 2014 at 10:52 am Reason: Point taken - I have corrected my post accordingly.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who assumed it was Israel's fault? OP assumed (as did another poster) that it was the bank's "fault"
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mbgg
Interesting how everyone assumes that it is Israel's fault ......
If by "everyone", you mean "nobody so far", it is indeed interesting
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I've often had coworkers visit from UAE, and they did not have any issues with their UAE-issued cards (when checking out at hotels, taxi from airport, etc).
YMMV, I suppose...
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:01 pm

I used my Emirates NBD atm card in Yisrael. However, now I tried to transfer money from my UAE bank account out of uae to another country, it wont allow me as I did financial transactions in Yisrael. So beware!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT flygirl88!

You used a UAE debit card successfully in Israel?
You were denied a financial transaction, and your bank specifically said it was because you used your card in Israel? Or were you trying to transfer money to Israel?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
Not sure if this is applicable to your Israel example but it's usually a good idea to notify your credit card compnay if you'll be traveling internationally, they'll make a note to not lock your card. My card has been locked before in numerous countries due to automated anit-fraud measures that monitor unusual transactions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.