Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

TLV Passport Control: New Biometric Screening Kiosks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Upon arrival yesterday, I decided to finally ask if/when they have plans of enabling foreign passport-holders to use the machines on arrival.

The guy seemed pissed at me to have the nerve to ask such a question, and in a very condescending manner, he said emphatically "that will never, ever happen." When I asked why, he said "not all tourists can enter the country and you need to speak to each and every one."

He had no response for the news reports that Israel had signed an agreement of sorts with the USA for Global Entry.

I don't see why they can't just open an ESTA-type of process which would enable them to ensure people can or can't enter, and then use the kiosks for foreigners as well.
I agree that it will never happen. How else can they interrogate foreigners before letting them in? How else can they check to see if you have Iran stamps on your passport? I once got asked by security if I knew anyone from Iran.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dand99
I somewhat doubt that....

I can't think of anywhere else that has implemented a biometric (or any other fast entry) system for use by non-citizens (is there one ??), and I cannot imagine that Israel will be the first.
The USA has Global Entry kiosks. Any GE member can use them, and that includes: NEXUS members (Canadian citizens and residents), SENTRI members (Mexican citizens and nationals), and members of other programs and citizens of the following countries: Netherlands, Germany, Panama, and South Korea.

Concurrently, American citizens have expedited entry to Canada if they're members of NEXUS. They can get expedited entry into Germany, at least in FRA and MUC. They can get expedited entry into Australia and New Zealand (not sure if this is for all American citizens or just GE members) as well as expedited entry by applying to LHR.

There are many other reciprocal programs around, and I'm not even referring to EU passport holders getting expedited entry into other EU/Schengen nations.

Furthermore, you can use APCs in the US provided you're a Canadian citizen OR have a visa-waiver passport, valid ESTA, and have visited the US at least once since 2008.

So certainly not without precedent, and Israel could easily set up such a program to allow specific program-eligible passports, certain countries, or have some ESTA-type of authorization.

Originally Posted by NYTA
I agree that it will never happen. How else can they interrogate foreigners before letting them in? How else can they check to see if you have Iran stamps on your passport? I once got asked by security if I knew anyone from Iran.
Except Israel already has a signed agreement that in theory will allow GE members to use them.

I don't believe they need to interview everyone that comes in, nor do they as it is. Enough information is shared between countries that they can block certain people, especially if the chip shows travel to certain countries, that would require an interview.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:21 pm

ESTA is not a guaranteed entrance to the US. It is a VISA waiver, but an immigration officer could still, theoretically turn someone away. Also, the kiosks are not for first time ESTA users. THOSE have to speak to a person.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
ESTA is not a guaranteed entrance to the US. It is a VISA waiver, but an immigration officer could still, theoretically turn someone away. Also, the kiosks are not for first time ESTA users. THOSE have to speak to a person.
So? None of that contradicts my premise or point
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by awayIgo
And your point is what?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:35 am

       

Last edited by ksharpe; Feb 2, 2017 at 2:37 am
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:15 am

I really wish they had this for Americans in the UK. Every time I have to stand in line for 45 minutes at LHR I feel like - "we saved them from Hitler and this is what we get in return?"
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by NYTA
I really wish they had this for Americans in the UK. Every time I have to stand in line for 45 minutes at LHR I feel like - "we saved them from Hitler and this is what we get in return?"
It's impossible to tell if you are over 18 or not from your comments, but you might like to use your fave search engine to search for Registered Traveller service. In fact, I had better provide a link just in case there isn't a grown-up around.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It's impossible to tell if you are over 18 or not from your comments, but you might like to use your fave search engine to search for Registered Traveller service. In fact, I had better provide a link just in case there isn't a grown-up around.
I can't believe I never knew about this. I just applied - thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:56 am

Just used it with my passport.
Amazing
took 30 seconds
Machine has options for Hebrew/Russian/English
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:24 am

I use it all the time on exiting. It saves about 5-10 minutes each trip. That and the HBO security make TLV a real pleasure as compared to a lot of other airports.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simba8
Just used it with my passport.
Amazing
took 30 seconds
Machine has options for Hebrew/Russian/English
Does it automatically detect based on your passport because I've never seen a language button?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:56 am

No auto detection. There are buttons on the touch screen. I'm sure you can read Hebrew at this point so not sure why it matters to you.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:34 pm

I have a US biometric passport and GE.

Will I be able to use the kiosks at TLV? On both entering and exiting Israel? Are there specific types of machines to use and where are they in the entering/exiting process?

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerwma
I have a US biometric passport and GE.

Will I be able to use the kiosks at TLV? On both entering and exiting Israel? Are there specific types of machines to use and where are they in the entering/exiting process?

Thanks.
You will be able to use it upon exit. As of now, you cannot use it for entry. Time will tell if/when that changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.