Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-Fi in Israel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, US, AA, MR
Wi-Fi in Israel

1. If I bring an iPad with me to Israel (first gen), how easy will it be for me to find Wi-Fi service? is Wi-Fi free anywhere or are there access charges (i.e., hotel, airport, other points of interest??)

2. If I have my verizon iPhone 4S and keep it in airplane mode with wi-fi will it receive Wi-Fi services, allowing me to stay in touch via Tango, Skype, Google voice?

3. Talk n Save was recommended as a short term (12 day) cell phone service while in Israel, but trying to determine what services I will really need, based on how easy it is to get wi-fi access.

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
Wifi is widely accessible and free at most of Tel Aviv's coffee shops
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yonajon
Wifi is widely accessible and free at most of Tel Aviv's coffee shops
Thanks, but what about other cities?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
WiFi is highly accessible in Israel. Some coffee shops will only give the code if you make a purchase there.
If you simply wanna "stay in touch," you should be fine with WiFi. If you need to be in touch more than just occasionally though, it may be worth getting a data plan from Talk n Save because of the reliability of having a 3G connection.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by dhflies
2. If I have my verizon iPhone 4S and keep it in airplane mode with wi-fi will it receive Wi-Fi services, allowing me to stay in touch via Tango, Skype, Google voice?
Yes.

3. Talk n Save was recommended as a short term (12 day) cell phone service while in Israel, but trying to determine what services I will really need, based on how easy it is to get wi-fi access.
IsraelPhones has affordable plans for short term visitors. The access fee for the pay as you go plan is only $1 a day (free to Birthright participants) with free incoming calls and text messages. Outgoing calls are 19 cents a minute to phones within Israel and 38 cents anywhere in the world.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

I now have an ATT 3g iphone that is currently not linked to a service. Does anyone know how to unlock it and test it BEFORE leaving for Israel to know if it will work there?

I spoke to the guy at Talk N Save and he told me sometimes people think their phone is locked, but then have issues once there...

Barring any issues, I think I should be OK with a SIM from Talk N Save and a simple pay as you go and rely on Wi-Fi to check email and make outgoing calls via Skype, google voice. Incoming calls will be free. Hopefully, I'll be able to access free wi-fi from somewhere over Shabbos to catch up on whatever I missed during business days.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

I now have an ATT 3g iphone that is currently not linked to a service. Does anyone know how to unlock it and test it BEFORE leaving for Israel to know if it will work there?
Google unlocking an iPhone. I believe jailbreaking it helps. You can also take it to AT&T or Apple and try. I know Verizon will unlock dual-mode phones for customers who want to take their phone overseas. (You might be able to have them unlock the 4S instead of taking the iPhone 3G.)

To test it, just pop in a non-AT&T SIM. (T-Mobile, for example.) See if it works.

I spoke to the guy at Talk N Save and he told me sometimes people think their phone is locked, but then have issues once there...
I assume you mean "sometime people think their phone is unlocked..."

Barring any issues, I think I should be OK with a SIM from Talk N Save and a simple pay as you go and rely on Wi-Fi to check email and make outgoing calls via Skype, google voice. Incoming calls will be free. Hopefully, I'll be able to access free wi-fi from somewhere over Shabbos to catch up on whatever I missed during business days.
Your plan sounds excellent. Also, don't worry about WiFi on Shabbat. WiFi doesn't shut down because of Shabbat. The only issue will be finding open establishments (if you're in places like Jerusalem; Tel Aviv should be easier). But public WiFi should remain on through Shabbat.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Google unlocking an iPhone. I believe jailbreaking it helps. You can also take it to AT&T or Apple and try. I know Verizon will unlock dual-mode phones for customers who want to take their phone overseas. (You might be able to have them unlock the 4S instead of taking the iPhone 3G.)

To test it, just pop in a non-AT&T SIM. (T-Mobile, for example.) See if it works.

I assume you mean "sometime people think their phone is unlocked..."

Your plan sounds excellent. Also, don't worry about WiFi on Shabbat. WiFi doesn't shut down because of Shabbat. The only issue will be finding open establishments (if you're in places like Jerusalem; Tel Aviv should be easier). But public WiFi should remain on through Shabbat.
Yes, I meant Unlocked!

Shabbat will be spent in Jerusalem. So hopefully, even if a nearby establishment is closed I can somehow get a signal
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
1. If I bring an iPad with me to Israel (first gen), how easy will it be for me to find Wi-Fi service? is Wi-Fi free anywhere or are there access charges (i.e., hotel, airport, other points of interest??)
Airport also has free Wifi.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
I was just in Jerusalem on Shabbat. Not sure of the other hotels, but the King Solomon on King David had free wifi in the rooms and lobby if you need it.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greg0ire
I was just in Jerusalem on Shabbat. Not sure of the other hotels, but the King Solomon on King David had free wifi in the rooms and lobby if you need it.
It seems in Israel, the nicer the hotel, the more expensive WiFi is. The David Intercontinental in Tel Aviv charges $22 connection fee!!
I believe the Inbal is the first 5-star hotel in Jerusalem to offer free WiFi.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
There are web sites that list free internet access in Israel.

Use a search engine.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by joshwex90
It seems in Israel, the nicer the hotel, the more expensive WiFi is. The David Intercontinental in Tel Aviv charges $22 connection fee!!
I believe the Inbal is the first 5-star hotel in Jerusalem to offer free WiFi.
Obviously you don't travel allot in Europe. $22 a day would be a bargain.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thumper
Obviously you don't travel allot in Europe. $22 a day would be a bargain.
Wish I did, but most of mine is Israel and USA. But the $22 is not a daily fee - it's the connection fee. I believe the overall cost is significantly higher.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:06 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Thumper
There are web sites that list free internet access in Israel.
WiFi Cafe Spots - Israel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.