Wiki Posts
Search

Jerusalem on purim

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Jerusalem on purim

Is everything in (west) Jerusalem shut on Purim? (which is march evening 8th to daytime Marc 9th this year in Jerusalem, I think).

I'd like to spend time enjoying the sights of the city and not just doing Purim related things. Do buses run? Is mahane Yehuda market open? What about restaurants etc? Are there huge crowds everywhere in Jewish neighborhoods?

Do intercity buses run as well?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, El Al Matmid
I've been in Jerusalem a couple of times for Purim ('07 & '09) and if I remember correctly, everything (except the schools) stays open as this holiday is a minor holiday on the Jewish calendar. You shouldn't have any problems getting around or seeing the sites that you wish. As far as Purim celebrations, in the past on Ben Yehuda St and Kikar Zion (Zion Square) there was a huge party on people as well as concerts on the nearby Hillel St. For further info on Purim try this website http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday9.htm or just google it.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
For a moment, I got nervous that I was going crazy. I spent a ton of time dealing with a flight after AIPAC trying to ensure I didn't miss Purim in Israel which I was certain was March 7-8.
And then I realized you were talking about Jerusalem

The city still functions. If you enter into larger religious neighborhoods or "party areas," (Mea Shearim, Ben Yehuda, Old City,) you will see more raucous celebrating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.