Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

MCT - (solo) hotel recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue

Am taking a week's holiday in March in between jobs and have pretty much decided to go to Oman (flying from London).

Will be travelling on my own on this trip. Mainly looking for a hotel with a good beach but would like to do some sightseeing as well. Somewhere with some decent casual dining options since I will be solo. Oh and somewhere not over-run with kids.

Don't really want to pay more than $300 a night if possible.

Any recommendations! welcomed.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: EY Platinum
I've stayed at the Intercon and the Chedi. The Chedi may be out of your price range, but the hotel's great (beach is so-so) and kids are few and far between. The Intercon is bigger and more impersonal, but larger grounds and better beach.

Then there's the stalwart Crowne Plaza which has a small private beach but the hotel's quite jaded. And finally off the top of my head you've got the Shangri-La, which has a range of options (including non-kid ones I think) but is quite out of town.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I like the Intercontinental. The large mature gardens are lovely for sitting out in and extend right down to the beach. Plenty of space to avoid the ex-pats and their kids using the beach club at the weekend. Very friendly staff, but that's par for the course anywhere in Oman.

There is an outdoor informal restaurant and a pub, as well a posher restaurant.

It does look a bit like a 70s multi-story carpark though ! I've picked up decent prices in the past using the friends and family rate (search on FT or Google), if you're not using points.

Muscat is rather spread out so you'll be using taxis quite a bit. Plenty to do with a little planning, but finding 27 things to every day would be rather missing the point of Oman I'd suggest the souk, the corniche and perhaps some dolphin watching, or scuba diving if that's your thing. Maybe also get out up into the mountains with a 4x4.

hth
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: EY Platinum
If you've got a week I would highly recommend hiring a 4x4 and heading down to Nizwa, Sayq Plateau, Jebel Shams etc.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
we stayed in Muttrah - Naseem Hotel - something like $20 a night. Great experience. I dont think anywhere in Oman we paid more than $50 a night for a nice locally run hotel.

If you want a western chain hotel with a beach, why go to Oman?

I sencond the idea of renting a car or a 4x4. We rented our car in Dubai for about $120 a week, and drove around Oman.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
I like the Crowne Plaza for its nice, private alcoved beach and two decent restaurants. It's a little more worn than the Intercon but still quite nice (especially the sea view rooms) and affordable compared to the Chedi and Shangri-La. There were a moderate number of well-behaved kids there when I was there last.

That said, my next trip to MCT will probably be to the Chedi to relax.

As said by post above, if you have time, try to get out and see the central part of the country. It's truly wonderful. Jebel Shams (Grand Canyonesque) and Nizwa make for a great day trip or 2-day trip out of Muscat. Muscat itself is a little slow and lifeless once you've hit up the few major sites -- better for relaxing by the pool or beach.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:52 am

The other advantage of the Intercon is the restaurants just outside the entrance - Pizza Express, Stomach, etc if you want to eat more cheaply than the hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:35 pm

Rental Car in Oman

I have an US driver's license. Is this sufficient or do I need an international driver license?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by rankourabu
If you want a western chain hotel with a beach, why go to Oman?
To get good quality accommodation, and because the beaches (while not amazing in Muscat) are an attraction?

I am sure that one can stay in a local place and have a decent experience, but, staying in the Grand Hyatt, InterContinental, Al-Bustan, Crowne Plaza, etc. (all of which I have stayed in -- I'd recommend the IC among these) does not mean that one doesn't get the local flavor.

The OP's budget is $300, and I am not aware of an upscale boutique hotel that would provide good amenities and service.

Last edited by mecabq; Jan 14, 2012 at 11:22 pm
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by stefan_sip
I have an US driver's license. Is this sufficient or do I need an international driver license?
US is fine. You should also carry your passport in case you are stopped by the police. (this is to prove you are non-resident.)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
I love the Shangri-La, and it's a large enough property that it's not overrun with kids - they tend to keep them congregated around one area.

They are out of town, but have a lovely private beach, and a shuttle that will take you into town.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:18 am

I just returned from a week at the Grand Hyatt. Close to the OP's stated budget, but all I can say is wow. What a great hotel, plus we got lucky with the excellent weather in Muscat last week. The central location is a plus also. We had considered the Al Bustan and the Chedi, but the Grand Hyatt is closer to shops and restaurants we wanted to go to. The pool is fantastic and the beach is right there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.