Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Israel approves new Eilat nternational airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-approve...180628575.html
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:43 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I assume the project will be called "Natar 2015" and it will open in 2019.

I'm a bit concerned about the Timna nature preserve. Hope it isn't impacted.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Considering this was ALSO approved over 2 years ago, I don't get why this is first getting coverage now. The plan to name it after Ilan Ramon was also approved awhile ago, and I remember even posting about it shortly after I joined FT, which was Dec 2009. (The plan to include Asaf Ramon as well is newer.) Hopefully, this will close ETH, and allow Eilat to develop further, and allow VDA to revert to being a full-fledged military airport, which is needed down south.

What Israel needs to do now is improve the transportation to Eilat, perhaps linking the city with a high-speed train to the airport, even if they're not interested (at least right now) in connected Eilat to Tel Aviv or Be'er Sheva via train.

Overall, this is good news, and hopefully, we may see new routes between Eilat and international destinations. The fact that this isn't directly inside Eilat may help boost tourism in the south, not just inside the city itself.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Considering this was ALSO approved over 2 years ago, I don't get why this is first getting coverage now. The plan to name it after Ilan Ramon was also approved awhile ago, and I remember even posting about it shortly after I joined FT, which was Dec 2009. (The plan to include Asaf Ramon as well is newer.) Hopefully, this will close ETH, and allow Eilat to develop further, and allow VDA to revert to being a full-fledged military airport, which is needed down south.

What Israel needs to do now is improve the transportation to Eilat, perhaps linking the city with a high-speed train to the airport, even if they're not interested (at least right now) in connected Eilat to Tel Aviv or Be'er Sheva via train.

Overall, this is good news, and hopefully, we may see new routes between Eilat and international destinations. The fact that this isn't directly inside Eilat may help boost tourism in the south, not just inside the city itself.
...including laying a railway to Eilat...
could this be your high-speed rail link?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sds1493
could this be your high-speed rail link?
That's a plan mentioned by the author. Currently, the Transportation Ministry has no plans of instituting a railway of any kind to Eilat, as the Opposition so eloquently pointed out last week.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Is the opening still due for this April?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by LY777
Is the opening still due for this April?
I believe this was discussed in the LY forum and seems like opening is now scheduled for October or so, the website now specifies (in most pages, seems like they forgot some of them) "late 2017" - http://www.ramon-airport.com/
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.