Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip advice/recommendations: Smoky Mtns, DC, NYC, Gettysburg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Trip advice/recommendations: Smoky Mtns, DC, NYC, Gettysburg

Looking at a family driving trip this summer; will be late May/early June, and I'm thinking a big "loop" of sorts, starting from our home here in southern Missouri.

We wanna hit the Great Smoky Mountains for my oldest son, and my youngest son is a history nut so we wanna hit D.C. [I'd like to do Arlington on Memorial Day], my wife would like to possibly show the kids the 9/11 memorial so she wants to shoot up to NJ and ride the ferry over, and then I'm thinking hit Gettysburg on the way home. We haven't found anything for my daughter yet, but she loves anything NYC, so maybe we'll throw that in.

So, any additions anyone could think to add? Any suggested neat places to stay at our stopping points? Any attractions in our loop that someone feels are "must sees"?

[Note:I'm sitting on my IHG anniversary night + ~200k ihg points, as well as 90k HH points, and a ton of UR points, so I can be fairly flexible on lodging.]
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
A few suggestions for Gettysburg:
  • If you are a history buff, walk Pickett's Charge. It's a nice walk, out/back, but jeans and boots are a must.
  • If ghosts intrigue you, stay at the Farnsworth House Inn B&B.
  • Try to go during the week, if possible to minimize crowds.
  • Attend some of the ranger programming at Gettysburg.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:45 pm

If you're in the area of Gettysburg, consider Hershey Park amusement park. My kid is particularly fond of the water park inside the amusement park. There's also the "chocolate factory" tour there, but I don't think much of it.

Not too far away is Harper's Ferry for your history buff. There's also canoeing and kayaking on the river there.

And what about Philadelphia and Independence Hall?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
If you're in the area of Gettysburg, consider Hershey Park amusement park. My kid is particularly fond of the water park inside the amusement park. There's also the "chocolate factory" tour there, but I don't think much of it.

Not too far away is Harper's Ferry for your history buff. There's also canoeing and kayaking on the river there.

And what about Philadelphia and Independence Hall?
I think they revamped the history area/waiting area for the Chocolate World ride.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
DC on Memorial Day is a wonderful idea and almost no place on earth can one get as good a feeling about one's country and be as filled with patriotism and solemn remembrance as in DC on that weekend.

But be prepared, getting around can be a bit challenging: in the morning is the presidential wreath laying at Arlington (which makes ANC a zoo) in the early morning. ANC is always moving, but on memorial day is even more touching, especially the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns, and visiting the dead Kennedy's, the shuttle astronauts, Chesty Puller, and so many more...... there is also the placing of American flags at each and every marker- that is a neat thing to participate in or in which to participate. YMMV.

In addition, all weekend hundreds of thousands of motorcycles (up to 900k expected this year, plus spectators) of Rolling Thunder will be parading around town. Then there is Memorial Day parade (the largest parade in the US), the concert at the Capitol and fireworks on Monday (with dress rehearsal on Sunday - usually the better day to go).

The best way to get around is by metro - park the car and just take the metro because it will take you everywhere you would want to go.

check the link for a good listing of all the happenings: https://washington.org/visit-dc/thin...-washington-dc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.