Wiki Posts
Search

Uber good deal to PHL airport, but not from PHL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Uber good deal to PHL airport, but not from PHL

Does anyone know why you can't get a "regular" Uber X car from the PHL airport -- only the much more expensive Uber Black? I'm guessing it's some sort of deal with the city to appease taxi drivers. This makes Uber a good deal TO the airport, but a bad deal FROM the airport. A shame.

Last edited by iahphx; Feb 1, 2016 at 10:42 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:56 am
rev

I don't have a source citing this exactly, but just seeing the news here, I can guarantee it's because Philly pretty regularly brings up lawsuits and sting operations with uberx for 'illegal' operations. Obviously Uber Black doesn't fall in this category because those are licensed drivers. You can really only drop off not because it's 'legal', but because that can't be enforced like pickups can - Uberx drivers (before the ban) would park and wait for rides, alongside legal taxis, making traffic even worse there, and yes, much to the dismay of taxi operations who constantly let city hall know of their grief. I've heard of people being asked to sit in the front seat of UberXs to appear as if they we're just a passenger in their friend's car to be safe.

You can get a Lyft though.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:52 am

I believe these circumstances exist in any city that Uberx is not legal, not just in PHL. Uberx's can get away with dropping you off and leaving but can't physically pick people up from airport property. For instance Uberx was previously not available at LAX, but you had UberSelect as an option.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rev
You can get a Lyft though.
Interesting. That may give me the incentive to try them.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:58 pm
rev

I just read this and thought I'd share it here

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...el-even-easier

"American Airlines is partnering with Uber to create a door-to-door streamlined service to help customers get from home or work to the airport and back."

Perhaps this is the beginning of the Uber/PHL relationship we've all been waiting for.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by rev
I just read this and thought I'd share it here

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...el-even-easier

"American Airlines is partnering with Uber to create a door-to-door streamlined service to help customers get from home or work to the airport and back."

Perhaps this is the beginning of the Uber/PHL relationship we've all been waiting for.
You have always been able to get an Uber black car from PHL. These cars are essentially licensed limo drivers. It is the cheaper Uber X rides that are not available from the airport.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:43 am
rev

Originally Posted by rev
Obviously Uber Black doesn't fall in this category because those are licensed drivers.
Originally Posted by nova08
You have always been able to get an Uber black car from PHL. These cars are essentially licensed limo drivers. It is the cheaper Uber X rides that are not available from the airport.
Thank you for reiterating.

The article doesn't mention Black or X, but that's not the point. If the airports start playing nice with Uber, particularly those like PHL who have a history of trying not to cooperate, this could be a good start to a relationship with the Uber brand in general. It's not illegal in other cities, and demand is undeniably high, so I predict PHL will reach some kind of deal and jump on board hopefully by the end of the year. I'll be checking my app from time to time at pickup to see when it's lifted. Until then, Lyft. Simple.

Partially wishful thinking, yes, but it's certainly not bad news for our case.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rev
Thank you for reiterating.

The article doesn't mention Black or X, but that's not the point. If the airports start playing nice with Uber, particularly those like PHL who have a history of trying not to cooperate, this could be a good start to a relationship with the Uber brand in general. It's not illegal in other cities, and demand is undeniably high, so I predict PHL will reach some kind of deal and jump on board hopefully by the end of the year. I'll be checking my app from time to time at pickup to see when it's lifted. Until then, Lyft. Simple.

Partially wishful thinking, yes, but it's certainly not bad news for our case.
This should not even be a debate. It's the consumer's choice. Want an X, get an X. Want a black SUV, get one of those. Want to take a Super Shuttle, get one of those.

Other major airport authorities which predicted that the end of the world would come with ride sharing, are still functioning.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
PHL (the airport) has NOTHING to do with whether or not Uber operates to/from their facility. Additionally, AA has no influence on whether or not Uber can operate at PHL. The AA announcement will do nothing to improve availability of Uber at PHL.

The PPA treats UberX just like gypsy cabs - as illegal and unregulated operators in the space they regulate under state law. PHL just happens to be a convenient place for them to run pickup request stings where they can ticket & tow Uber operators.

As mentioned, Uber Black drivers are properly licensed & insured as limo drivers in the eyes of the PPA and are a risk-free option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.