Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL: Buy SEPTA ticket with credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

PHL: Buy SEPTA ticket with credit card?

I am heading to PHL in May for a business trip and I am staying in Center City/Downtown. So I need to keep receipts of all my purchases and I would prefer using my credit card since I rarely carry cash. From a quick search, I found this post from 5 years ago. In the post it said one has to buy a ticket on the train and it's cash only.

Is this still the case for SEPTA regional rail tickets? In addition, if I were to use the subway system in Philly, it looks like I have to buy Tokens , since the key card pass doesn't seem to be active yet. Is that correct?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewt...?f=72&t=157214
Old Mar 15, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
While you can't use a credit card on the train, the conductor will punch a two part ticket and give you the copy...keep it for your receipt.

Not sure about the subway...but just out of curiosity, where are you planning on taking the subway from/to? It's pretty limited in Philly
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:49 pm

Credit cards still not accepted on board. And the Key is not yet implemented.

You can buy your ticket(s) online early: https://shop.septa.org/index.php?tar...category_id=24

Or, keep the ticket receipt that you get on board. It shows the value you paid.

For the subway/buses, tokens are the cheapest way if you only plan on making one or two trips per day. Otherwise, it's usually cheapest to get a One Day Independence Pass ($12). Note that pass would allow Regional Rail privileges too, so that may be viable for you, depending on your schedule.

And other questions, please ask. I'm a very frequent commuter on SEPTA and quite informed on their pricing scheme.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I would also say that if you are going thru one of the main CC stations: Market East (Jefferson), Suburban or 30th st, you can get both your regional rail ticket(s) as well as your tokens or day passes at the ticket windows and charge with a credit/debit card there.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by pennywaltz
I am heading to PHL in May for a business trip and I am staying in Center City/Downtown. So I need to keep receipts of all my purchases and I would prefer using my credit card since I rarely carry cash. From a quick search, I found this post from 5 years ago. In the post it said one has to buy a ticket on the train and it's cash only.

Is this still the case for SEPTA regional rail tickets?
I got off a Delta flight last week at Terminal D and ran into this. It is the first time in a long, long time I have run into a transit system that requires cash. From where I stood the nearest ATM was in Terminal C baggage claim. It's $8 to get into the city center. The conductor gives you a punched-out old-school ticket receipt which indicates $8 paid if you know where to look. All in all, a brief trip back to 1956.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
All in all, a brief trip back to 1956.
Quite sad...they have been hyping up the new card system for a while, but I think they forget that many transit agencies at least have had some type of self-service ticket machine that accepts credit cards for almost a decade.

To the OP, most areas of PHL are quite walkable. Once you are in center city most places are in walking distance or a short cab ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.