Wiki Posts
Search

Philly: Ind. Park + what else?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

I'm planning to visit PHL in May, want to go see the liberty bell and other related stuff in that area, but trying to decide how long to stay.

1) Is 1 day enough to cover the liberty bell and the rest of the historical stuff at the park? Any recommended hotels? (I have no preference)
2) Any other must see/do items in PHL? If so, are they reachable by train? Currently debating on renting a car, but leaning against it unless there is a specific need.
3) Any airplane museums in the area?

I have to be in Houston on 5/28, so I'd either start the trip on 5/25 and fly to IAH after, or start in Houston on 5/28 and do PHL 5/29, 30, and 31.

These forums were great for my pacific northwest trip last year, got some great feedback, so hoping to do the same this time around.

Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Nice to see someone asking Philly questions

1) I think one day is absolutely enough time to cover the historic section (Independence Hall, NCC, Betsy Ross house). From the US forum on the Philly airport thread, there's this nugget:

What to do in Philadelphia?
Get a cheese steak. The big three are Pat’s, Geno’s and Jim’s. Pat’s and Geno’s are across the street from each other at 9th and Passyunk. Jim’s is at 3rd and South. None of them are easily reached via regional rail (commuter train...see below). However, the next best thing would be to go to the Reading Terminal Market. A farmers market of sorts, you can definitely find a good cheese steak here…along with a lot of other good foods. Another decent bet is any one of the street vendors. And you’ll get a fair price from them, too.

Historical. The National Constitution Center, Betsy Ross’ house, Ben Franklin’s grave, Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell can all be reached via reached via regional rail (commuter train).

There is also a self-guided walking tour of the historical areas that runs daily during the summer and on select weekend days during the spring and fall. Check out www.theconstitutional.com for more info.

anything else?
Take the Mural Arts tour. Driving through Philly, you can't help but notice some of the amazing murals on the sides of buildings...the ~whole~ side of the building. There are numerous tours available...Mural Arts Tour.

Or, check out www.gophila.com for a longer list of cultural events and entertainment.
2) Other stuff to do...how about the Art Museum? You can definitely spend a long day there.

3) Airplane museums? Not that I know of. However, we do have the American Helicopter Museum in West Chester (plan on an hour drive from either the airport or center city depending on time of day). I've been a couple of times on school trips with my kids and enjoyed it (not sure, though, I would have liked it as an adult on my own)

Last edited by bitburgr; Mar 10, 2015 at 11:13 am
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Why not do a Segway tour of Philly? This company is run by a friend of mine, and I've used their Segway tours for out of town guests with great success.
http://www.phillytourhub.com/Home.aspx
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Philly has some excellent museums: favorites of mine include the Phila. Museum of Art, Barnes Foundation (stupendous, and will take several hours), Rodin Museum, etc.

Some good places to walk around on a nice day: Kelly Drive (start from the Art Museum and walk along the Schuylkill River to the north), Penn's Landing (a few blocks east of the National Constitution Center, along the Delaware River), South Street between 2nd-18th Sts. (a funky neighborhood with fun shops and restaurants), Italian Market, Rittenhouse Square.

Philly has very good restaurants all over the place, so if you are into food, do some research and you can have great meals while you're there.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:44 pm

Check out the Reading Terminal Market.

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

It is within walking distance of Independence Mall.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, will check that out. I just booked my trip last night and will be there for a few days at the end of May.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by JayBrian

This. Besides getting a cheesesteak, this.

I'm preferential to both Kimptons in Philly.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: AA Kryptonite
Add'l Sight

I might also suggest Eastern State Penitentiary, which is walking distance (15min) from the Philly Art Museum. It's the first "penitentiary" (as opposed to prison) in the US and a fascinating piece of offbeat history. Better, but smaller, than Alcatraz.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

That sounds really cool, I'll check it out.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

No car needed - great suggestions from the group - in historic area, the Portrait Gallery is a must see in my opinion.
The barnes foundation requires advanced reservations and is a must
The franklin institute has the Lego Art of the Brick through September
For uniquely Philly go to Jims on South for that cheesesteak and then to the Magic Gardens
The Mural Arts tour by trolley or foot give you a glimpse into the city (the Love letter tour is via the El train)
For odd philly go to the Mutter Museum for medical oddities
For food reading terminal (metropolitan sour cherry sea salt chocolate chip cookie, and the roasted pork from DiNic's) as well as UBahn for local brews, graffiti bar for hidden drinks and McGillian's bc oldest pub. Make reservations in advance even if a hold for dinner as many small restaurants and full during week
Hotels -monaco has roof top bar stratus and Palomar is in middle of food/Rittenhouse area
have fun!
I have a few other things on my blog
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Thanks, everyone for all the ideas - very helpful for my upcoming few days in Philly. Weather looking somewhat more promising too - though wildly variable!

Originally Posted by JayBrian

Really annoying that their web site won't allow access from my South African IP address. Nothing that Tunnel Bear can't solve - but, honestly, what is the point?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
For uniquely Philly go to Jims on South for that cheesesteak and then to the Magic Gardens
I went to Magic Gardens a couple weekends ago...really good recommendation. It was surprisingly interesting. Coupled with a walk down South Street and cheesesteak at Jim's and you've got a pretty good afternoon covered.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Skip Jim's on South Street and check out Steaks on South instead. Or even Ishkabibbles. Both are better options than Jim's, which survives on reputation and location.

Be warned that if you ask 10 Philadelphians where to find the best cheesesteak, you will get 11 different answers. None of them will really be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.