Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

NY Hotel Fines Newlyweds For Every Negative Yelp Review Left By Their Wedding Guests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY Hotel Fines Newlyweds For Every Negative Yelp Review Left By Their Wedding Guests

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:48 am

"I stayed here with two of my husbands for four days. One of my husbands asked for "full service" during check-in. The front desk clerk kept pretending she doesn't know what "full service" means. We demanded to see the manager and the situation was quickly resolved. We were served some Thai...

The room was OK, but had two security cameras: one in the restroom and one overlooking the bed. My husbands quickly got the chair to cover up the lenses. Few minutes later we got a knock on the door and were explained by the concierge that tampering with the hotel surveillance equipment carries a $500 fine per infraction. We found that outrageous and went to the pool to cool off.

The pool was great except when I stepped out and asked the bartender: "Where is the nearest bathroom?" He replied: "Your pants!" There was another weird thing, it didn't really bothered me however, my husbands were furious... every time a waiter delivered a drink, he would do a meatspin in front of my face before handing us the drink. At one point a man in a full suit came to the pool, grabbed some of our clothes, put them in a ziplock baggie labeled "evidence," and ran before we could stop him.

We were also confused by a brochure for an STD testing site stapled to our bill upon checkout."

... is this place? A brothel???
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
"I stayed here with two of my husbands for four days. One of my husbands asked for "full service" during check-in. The front desk clerk kept pretending she doesn't know what "full service" means. We demanded to see the manager and the situation was quickly resolved. We were served some Thai...

The room was OK, but had two security cameras: one in the restroom and one overlooking the bed. My husbands quickly got the chair to cover up the lenses. Few minutes later we got a knock on the door and were explained by the concierge that tampering with the hotel surveillance equipment carries a $500 fine per infraction. We found that outrageous and went to the pool to cool off.

The pool was great except when I stepped out and asked the bartender: "Where is the nearest bathroom?" He replied: "Your pants!" There was another weird thing, it didn't really bothered me however, my husbands were furious... every time a waiter delivered a drink, he would do a meatspin in front of my face before handing us the drink. At one point a man in a full suit came to the pool, grabbed some of our clothes, put them in a ziplock baggie labeled "evidence," and ran before we could stop him.

We were also confused by a brochure for an STD testing site stapled to our bill upon checkout."

Sounds fake
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Sounds fake
I see, they're all "fun" reviews...

I thought Yelp is (like TA/Holidaycheck) checking the reviews at least for some basic information.. seems you can post whatever you want there, without any check or removal.. definitely not a page I'm ever going to use, then..
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Doubt a chargeback would help if it's in an agreement you sign with them. AG wouldn't be much help as what's the violation?
Multiple state law violations. Next CC are aware what is legally enforceable and what isn't. Thus a chargeback will likely work. You'd be suprised at what CC companies will allow as grounds.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Multiple state law violations. Next CC are aware what is legally enforceable and what isn't. Thus a chargeback will likely work. You'd be suprised at what CC companies will allow as grounds.
What state law violations? If so, then yes - a chargeback likely would work. Otherwise, it would seem hard to get out of something you specifically signed that you agreed to
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by diburning
although you can vote with your wallet.
= democracy
= freedom
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/coupl...ry?id=21249094
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

it's clearly fake but still very fun to read... "Your pants!"
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:14 am

Reviews about how thrilled people were, or how much they hated it - these are subjective and I take extreme reviews with a grain of salt. Hater reviews are usually triggered by somebody getting ticked off about one thing and using Tripadvisor or Yelp to get even by ripping everything. There's nothing a hotel can do except post a yucky grovelling apology.

Last edited by Tizzette; Aug 5, 2014 at 10:54 am
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by moeve
Excuses me what what in the H*** happened to right of free speech and everyones right to an opinion?
The first amendment only protects you from government intrusion on free speech. You could, for example, enter into a contract with a hotel that provides you will not post negative reviews on line, which could be enforceable. (I'm not familiar with the details of this story, but I'm assuming that the guests did not knowingly agree to this and that any agreement they might purportedly have entered into is not enforceable.)
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I have to warn you all...you probably shouldn't go to the Yelp page now. The posted reviews are pretty hilarious, and you will waste a lot of time reading them. For example, a two-star review by Joe D. reads:
I got married here in 2013 but I didn't read the fine print carefully. Apparently the Hotel Manager had the right of "Prima Nocta" and was legally allowed to sleep with the bride on the first night. Needless to say this lead to serious issues with the marriage. I'm fairly sure he impregnated my wife- the DNA test says the baby isn't mine.

On the other hand they did leave a chocolate on the pillow, so it wasn't all bad- they deserve an extra star for that.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Blumie
The first amendment only protects you from government intrusion on free speech. You could, for example, enter into a contract with a hotel that provides you will not post negative reviews on line, which could be enforceable.
Truth is always the best defense. If you stick to the facts of a bad stay it's virtually impossible to prove libel or slander. But if you signed a service contract acknowledging you will not publicize negative views of the property (even if that clause is buried way down in the agate type; anyone who's studied an airline CoC knows how screwed passengers are by the small print) you might at least be in for a hard time of the management is bloody-minded. Constitutional free speech guarantees do not negate legal agreements between private parties, such as gag orders in a lawsuit settlement.

Anyway it looks as if the karma train has come for this hotel. The social media backlash is huge and hilarious.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
If a review is honest about what happened, it is protected free speech.
No it's not. Freedom of speech in the US is meant to protect against government intrusion upon speech, it has nothing to do with a private actor restricting speech.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
I looked at this Guest House's cancellation & reservation policies, which is assumed to the current & up-to-date and not a joke or mistaken error in posting, and they aren't nice or customer-friendly at all. A # of folks here commented on it already - basically, your forefeit & have no recourse, ability to change, etc. short of WWIII (not even then) On the other hand, hotel management can cancel for no reason at all.

Meeting (and wedding) planners that I know of and work with would laugh these off & not bother in dealing with them at all. This joint might be historic & charming and one of its kind, but there are many more out there in the NY area that are much, much more friendly - the social media scene including FB are spreading the news like wildfire out of control, and too late for spin/damage control & to issue a public statement of correction (apology, LOL)

Time to see their own bankruptcy attorney for an exodus ... getting my 2 cents in this morning before this go Omni or whatever.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
They have the most ridiculous policies in the site. Joking? Hardly.
I've read through some TA reviews in the past and someone complained them ignoring phone calls and having an attitude - It's not just a one-off event where someone forgot to take down the "joke".

Well, the news is spreading like wild fire now. This hotel is quite literally a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.