Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tax Deadbeat SEPTA, to have $22M bill wiped from books

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Tax Deadbeat SEPTA, to have $22M bill wiped from books

Some real geniuses at work over there:

Asked last week why SEPTA had never paid the tax bill, Gerald Maier, SEPTA’s real estate director, responded: “I thought we didn’t have to.”

One of Philly's worst tax deadbeats, SEPTA, to have $22M bill wiped from books
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I wonder if I can use that same excuse.

(queue the Steve Martin bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l00GGEy_72c)
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:52 pm

While it does take a source of money away from the schools, I believe SEPTA needs this. They're already strapped for cash, and as a regular SEPTA commuter I know they need significant improvements all around that will never come if they can't get ahead. Where to find the money that the schools need? I have no idea...

SEPTA will replace two escalators at 15th Street
Finally!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by hufftheweevil
While it does take a source of money away from the schools, I believe SEPTA needs this. They're already strapped for cash, and as a regular SEPTA commuter I know they need significant improvements all around that will never come if they can't get ahead. Where to find the money that the schools need? I have no idea...
A friend of mine is a lawyer with a firm hired to either collect back property taxes or reposess houses that are significantly in arrears (like +10 years). She says in many cases the original owners have died and either heirs or squatters in the house claim they "didn't know they had to pay property taxes" on the house. When her firm moves on them, many of them go running to their city council rep crying poverty and get exemptions or reductions on the tax bill. Maybe Philly could find the money for the schools if fewer special interests got a little help from city hall...

There's a whole lot of aspects of SEPTA that need funding - like making more stations handicapped accessible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.