Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help with hotel stays in Philadelphia using points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

I would appreciate any help as I'm new to the mileage game.

Looking to stay in Philadelphia (close to all attractions and historical sites) from May 20-25.

Current points balances

SPG 30k
Hilton 75k
IHG 80k
UR 40k
MR 100k

I have gold status due to my Platinum card at the SPG hotels. I have tried to find an SPG with points and cash but not successful yet. I would really appreciate some help. Don't mind staying in different hotels throughout the week if it's going to save me some points or cash.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

That's a tough week as I believe many of the college graduations happen then and the city is booked. Most of May is usually a sell out due to conventions, graduations, holiday. In historic area there is a holiday inn (IHG) on 4th street and a Sheraton society hill (SPG) to look at. There is a Hyatt on the waterfront (a bit of a walk but not too bad) - P&C is often tough as they are full w/tourists and not business travelers. good luck and enjoy Philly! The NYTimes did article last weekend on 36 hours here. Definitely precook Barnes tickets as you can't walk up for those. and enjoy the plethora of amazing food options
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Simply commenting on spg as I am familiar with redemption at Philly.

It didn't seems like you can take advantage of any free night redemption given the balances. There aren't any cat 3 or below close by the center city. Cat 4 would cost you 40k for 5 nights so unless you can come up with another 10k somewhere then you need to stay at different properties.

I usually stay at the cat 2 four points philadelphia northeast for 4k each night but that's a little far from the activities. It generally takes me 15 to 20 minutes driving to the convention center area so that is a possibility if you are driving. There is also another cat 2 at the airport. Also, I generally like to upgrade to club level if I have a few family members with me so I can save on breakfast. This is where the gold at Hilton shines compares to spg. They will offer you the chance to upgrade aftr your booking.

May is pretty packed so I recommend that you book the reward booking early to avoid any shortage of rooms available for redemption.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I stayed at Hampton Inn near downtown Philly for 30k hilton points a night for two nights during Thnxgiving break. The hotel was nice, good location. Really was convenient for me. I don't know if they have availability during the days you need.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:11 pm

Here's one...

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia Center City

40K Honors points/night for 5/20 - 5/22.

Good location.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Mid-Atlantic Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc
Here's one...

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia Center City

40K Honors points/night for 5/20 - 5/22.

Good location.
+1. Best of the lot all things considered.

Bobette
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by b1513
+1. Best of the lot all things considered.

Bobette
I think that the Embassy Suites by the Art Museum is a much better value for the same points.
If you can get into the Hampton Inn by Race St, just off chinatown will probably take fewer points and it is an alright hotel.
Cannot help with the other chains, but the Sheraton in the old city is great and close to a lot of attractions
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:57 am

The Downtown Marriott, Courtyard and Residence Inn are all across the street from each other. They are across from the convention center and within walking distance to historical sites and museums. I think they are all a category 6. I liked the courtyard better than the Marriott. The staff was wonderful. There is a city pass ( not sure of exact name) hop on hop off bus tour that takes you to many attractions. The bus stop is on the corner of the Marriott. They have had specials on groupon or living social in the past. We did enjoy using it for the day. If you have a car the parking at the hotels run about $40 a day.

Enjoy your trip. We loved it so much we have gone back 3 more times.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
I think that the Embassy Suites by the Art Museum is a much better value for the same points.
It has been a few years but we used to stay at this Embassy at least once, sometimes twice a year. I believe it used to be an apartment building. The rooms are quite large. We liked the rooms that looked out over the Avenue of the Arts and in May, the weather should be good enough to enjoy the balcony.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
We liked the rooms that looked out over the Avenue of the Arts and in May, the weather should be good enough to enjoy the balcony.
I assume you mean the Ben Franklin Parkway, not the Avenue of the Arts (aka Broad St.). You'd have to knock down quite a few buildings to get a view of Broad St. from the Embassy Suites!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I assume you mean the Ben Franklin Parkway, not the Avenue of the Arts (aka Broad St.). You'd have to knock down quite a few buildings to get a view of Broad St. from the Embassy Suites!
Yes of course! Ben Franklin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.