Wiki Posts
Search

Crossing into Canada from NYS: Want to avoid the backup at I87

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Crossing into Canada from NYS: Want to avoid the backup at I87

We're thinking of getting off 87 in Champlain at Route 11 and crossing into Canada at the first border crossing east of I-87. The I-87 border crossing can be such a long wait. Has anyone done this?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, B6 TrueBluel
It's not quite the same, but on my way up to Montreal from Burlington most recently, I got off of I-89 before Highgate Springs and cut across the north end of Lake Champlain, entering Canada at the Rouses Point crossing. There was only one car ahead of me and the questioning was considerably less intense than at other, larger checkpoints. I was half expecting to be asked why going out of my way to use a secondary checkpoint, but I received no such inquiry. I was through in at most a couple of minutes. And that was also with an Amtrak train clearing customs at the same time, which I'm sure kept much of the customs staff occupied.

I recommend you check the CBSA website as you approach Champlain to check on the border wait times (updated hourly). If it's more than ten minutes, it's probably worth getting off the highway and dealing with the side roads.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Voyager0927
It's not quite the same, but on my way up to Montreal from Burlington most recently, I got off of I-89 before Highgate Springs and cut across the north end of Lake Champlain, entering Canada at the Rouses Point crossing. There was only one car ahead of me and the questioning was considerably less intense than at other, larger checkpoints. I was half expecting to be asked why going out of my way to use a secondary checkpoint, but I received no such inquiry. I was through in at most a couple of minutes.
This is VERY helpful as the Rouses Point border is just east of the one of which I was speaking. Thank you. I imagine the 1-89 border wait must be torture for you to head over to Rouses Point.

And that was also with an Amtrak train clearing customs at the same time, which I'm sure kept much of the customs staff occupied.
Didn't know Amtrak goes through Rouses Point.

I recommend you check the CBSA website as you approach Champlain to check on the border wait times (updated hourly). If it's more than ten minutes, it's probably worth getting off the highway and dealing with the side roads.
Thanks! We've been stuck so many times that it's time to try something else.

This looks like an abridged list. I don't see where the I-87 border and the Rt 276 border crossings (both in Champlain) and the Rouses Point crossing are listed. In fact, there is only one listing for the NYS/Quebec border instead of the 3 crossings. That one listing might be the I-87. Actually, it also doesn't include the Maine/Quebec border on Maine's Rt 201 outside of Jackman.

Still, it's something and I thank you for it!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, B6 TrueBluel
Originally Posted by Analise
I imagine the 1-89 border wait must be torture for you to head over to Rouses Point.
It's more a matter of unpredictability than consistently long wait times. Sometimes I'm through in 30 seconds, sometimes it can be almost half an hour. Also, since driving Burlington to Montreal necessarily involves 20-25 minutes of driving on side roads no matter which way you go, I'd rather get pulled over by a small town cop for exceeding an artificially low speed limit in my home state instead of a foreign country.

This looks like an abridged list. I don't see where the I-87 border and the Rt 276 border crossings (both in Champlain) and the Rouses Point crossing are listed. In fact, there is only one listing for the NYS/Quebec border instead of the 3 crossings. That one listing might be the I-87. Actually, it also doesn't include the Maine/Quebec border on Maine's Rt 201 outside of Jackman.
The corresponding list for U.S. CBP is slightly more comprehensive but not exhaustive by any means. I'm guessing the smaller checkpoints don't get enough traffic to justify regular wait time reporting. My suggestion is that if Champlain looks like it is backed up more than 10 minutes, it's worth your while to bail out and use the side roads, even though you're going in blind.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Analise, I've not made the crossing, but there's also an option a little west of I-87, on NY 22 at Mooers. (That's the same NY 22 that used to include the Bronx's Grand Concourse as part of its route.) You can take US 11 west to NY 22, or you can bail out from I-87 at Exit 41, and take NY 191 west to NY 22 north.

A little OT, but as of 4/1/11, Canada is closing a couple of little-used, part-time border crossings that are even further west of I-87; it looks like the U.S. may continue to staff them, however, which would turn them into one-way crossings.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:50 am
Original Poster

It's more a matter of unpredictability than consistently long wait times. Sometimes I'm through in 30 seconds, sometimes it can be almost half an hour. Also, since driving Burlington to Montreal necessarily involves 20-25 minutes of driving on side roads no matter which way you go, I'd rather get pulled over by a small town cop for exceeding an artificially low speed limit in my home state instead of a foreign country.
That's a very good point. Radar I believe is illegal in Québec too.

The corresponding list for U.S. CBP is slightly more comprehensive but not exhaustive by any means. I'm guessing the smaller checkpoints don't get enough traffic to justify regular wait time reporting. My suggestion is that if Champlain looks like it is backed up more than 10 minutes, it's worth your while to bail out and use the side roads, even though you're going in blind.
We've never been lucky enough to wait only 10 minutes at the 87/15 border. We're definitely going to seek an alternative.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Analise, I've not made the crossing, but there's also an option a little west of I-87, on NY 22 at Mooers. (That's the same NY 22 that used to include the Bronx's Grand Concourse as part of its route.) You can take US 11 west to NY 22, or you can bail out from I-87 at Exit 41, and take NY 191 west to NY 22 north.
Same as the Grand Concourse? That's interesting! I took a look at Google Maps and it seems the eastern crossings are closer to the highway than the western ones. We don't want to veer too far off the interstate.

A little OT, but as of 4/1/11, Canada is closing a couple of little-used, part-time border crossings that are even further west of I-87; it looks like the U.S. may continue to staff them, however, which would turn them into one-way crossings.
As that is today, this is good to know. Hopefully it won't affect the 2 crossings east of I-87; I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Thanks Voyager0927 and guv1976 for your assistance!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:17 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Any recent news on which crossings are open for northbound traffic? We'll be heading from Plattsburgh to Montreal in July - peak traffic season! - and hope not to spend too much time at the border.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Any recent news on which crossings are open for northbound traffic? We'll be heading from Plattsburgh to Montreal in July - peak traffic season! - and hope not to spend too much time at the border.
Rouses Point will be open. Avoid I-87.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by CDTraveler

You might find this Wikipedia article useful (although I cannot vouch for its accuracy):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rder_crossings
Old May 27, 2015, 10:14 am

2015 update on border crossings?

Driving from Albany, NY to Montreal this month and wanted an update on this thread -what are waits like at the I-87/Champlain border crossing? How long would it take to detour to Rouses Point? Is the wait there worth detouring?

Also, Google says there's a lot of construction taking place on I-87. Can someone tell me if there are great delays associated with these?
Old May 28, 2015, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etoufee30
Driving from Albany, NY to Montreal this month and wanted an update on this thread -what are waits like at the I-87/Champlain border crossing? How long would it take to detour to Rouses Point? Is the wait there worth detouring?
It's very much worth it to bypass I-87/15 border crossing. Also, you don't have to go all the way east to Rouses Point. Look at Google Maps. You can take Rt 11 East to Rt 276, go through border control, and take it to Montée Guay where you turn left and take it back to the highway (15).
Old May 28, 2015, 10:46 pm

Thank you SO MUCH Analise. This is perfect. I have mapped this route and saved the link!

Has anyone driven this recently - I'm also wondering about the construction being done and how much delay there is/time added to my drive.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
It's very much worth it to bypass I-87/15 border crossing. Also, you don't have to go all the way east to Rouses Point. Look at Google Maps. You can take Rt 11 East to Rt 276, go through border control, and take it to Montée Guay where you turn left and take it back to the highway (15).
Just crossed into Canada using this recently. Name is Overton Corners/Lacolle: Route 221. No need to drive to Rouses Point.

Main crossing on I-87 (Champlain/ST-BERNARD-DE-LACOLLE: HIGHWAY 15) had 30-40 minute wait. Overton Corners had no wait. When we drove up to it, red light was on all lanes. Thought it was closed but it turns out CBSA officer was inside the their main building instead of manning the booth.

Expect to add 10 extra minutes to deviate from I-87 and return to Autoroute 15 vice versa in travel time alone.

This may even beat NEXUS if Champlain crossing is so backed up you can't even get to NEXUS lanes.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
It's not quite the same, but on my way up to Montreal from Burlington most recently, I got off of I-89 before Highgate Springs and cut across the north end of Lake Champlain, entering Canada at the Rouses Point crossing. There was only one car ahead of me and the questioning was considerably less intense than at other, larger checkpoints. I was half expecting to be asked why going out of my way to use a secondary checkpoint, but I received no such inquiry. I was through in at most a couple of minutes. And that was also with an Amtrak train clearing customs at the same time, which I'm sure kept much of the customs staff occupied.

This. Definitely this.

Though, really, I have only encountered a material line at the border once in many, many crossings at I-87.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
Just crossed into Canada using this recently. Name is Overton Corners/Lacolle: Route 221. No need to drive to Rouses Point.

Main crossing on I-87 (Champlain/ST-BERNARD-DE-LACOLLE: HIGHWAY 15) had 30-40 minute wait. Overton Corners had no wait. When we drove up to it, red light was on all lanes. Thought it was closed but it turns out CBSA officer was inside the their main building instead of manning the booth.

Expect to add 10 extra minutes to deviate from I-87 and return to Autoroute 15 vice versa in travel time alone.

This may even beat NEXUS if Champlain crossing is so backed up you can't even get to NEXUS lanes.
Glad it worked out recently. There is still no reason whatsoever to go out of the way to Rouses Point unless that's actually where one wants to go too. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.