Philadelphia: higher end factory outlet shopping mall?

Subscribe
Between the Philadelphia Premium outlet mall and the Franklin Mills mall, which is the higher end mall (ie better quality, but more expensive prices)? We would like to go to that mall?

A few years ago, one of the 2 malls (which one) had a Bloomingdale's outlet store. Is that store still there?
Quote: Between the Philadelphia Premium outlet mall and the Franklin Mills mall, which is the higher end mall (ie better quality, but more expensive prices)? We would like to go to that mall?

A few years ago, one of the 2 malls (which one) had a Bloomingdale's outlet store. Is that store still there?
The Philadelphia Premium Outlet is definitely the higher end mall, but certainly nothing like Woodbury Commons in NY.

The Philadelphia Outlets have only been around for a few years, so you must be thinking of Franklin Mills regarding the Bloomingdales outlet. Not sure if it is still there, but a simple web search should answer that question.
I agree with the previous poster. Woodbuy Commons is the mecca of outlets. Though, it is about a 3 hr drive (each way) from Philadelphia.

Philadelphia Premium is a the best outlet mall in Phila area - and is what I would rank as "Good".

Also, even closer than Woodbury Commons, is "The Crossings" in the Pocono Mountains. I don't recall how long it takes to get there but I think it is about 90 mins from Philadelphia - maybe even 75 mins. The Crossings is better than Phila Premium but not a fantastic as Woodbury.

I don't even go to Franklin Mills anymore - and dont know anyone else who does.
What about the town that "founded" the world of outlets....Reading, PA? Google "Reading, PA outlets" and you'll find a whole slew of them. I saw stores like Coach and Dooney & Bourke.
+1 to Woodbury Commons, if you have a day to kill with the long drive. It's a great mall!
Quote: What about the town that "founded" the world of outlets....Reading, PA? Google "Reading, PA outlets" and you'll find a whole slew of them. I saw stores like Coach and Dooney & Bourke.
The Reading outlets have been in decline for a number of years now. Last time we went it was a waste of the drive. However I did forget to mention the outlets in Lancaster PA. I think they have suffered a bit from the new competition with the Philadelphia Outlets, but there is still a decent selection of stores. Plus after a day of shopping you can go stuff yourself at the Shady Maple Smorgasbord. Totally worth it!
Quote: The Reading outlets have been in decline for a number of years now. Last time we went it was a waste of the drive. However I did forget to mention the outlets in Lancaster PA. I think they have suffered a bit from the new competition with the Philadelphia Outlets, but there is still a decent selection of stores. Plus after a day of shopping you can go stuff yourself at the Shady Maple Smorgasbord. Totally worth it!
I was just going by what stores were there. When I saw Coach and Dooney, I assumed this was what the OP considered 'higher end'. But you're right, Reading seems in decay.

Now I've actually been to that Shady Maple place. I found the place not only to be huge but filled with very overweight families looking to dive into this all-you-can-eat land. It looked like a world of gluttony. As for the buffet, I didn't see "quality". I saw "quantity". The ambiance....very bright lights, no ambiance at all. Just my two cents.
Quote: Now I've actually been to that Shady Maple place. I found the place not only to be huge but filled with very overweight families looking to dive into this all-you-can-eat land. It looked like a world of gluttony. As for the buffet, I didn't see "quality". I saw "quantity". The ambiance....very bright lights, no ambiance at all. Just my two cents.
Yes of course, if you've ever wondered how really obese people get that way, a trip to Shady Maple will answer your question.
It is still a place you need to experience at least once. Whenever we have friends from outside the U.S. visiting, we always try to schedule a trip to Lancaster ending with dinner at Shady Maple. Total immersion in the best and worst of American culture!
Quote: It is still a place [Shady Maple]you need to experience at least once. Whenever we have friends from outside the U.S. visiting, we always try to schedule a trip to Lancaster ending with dinner at Shady Maple. Total immersion in the best and worst of American culture!
I respectfully disagree. I feel no need to expose the worst of American culture to friends from outside the US, especially if it will nauseate both them and me.