Wiki Posts
Search

Oaxaca and Huatulco

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:37 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
still haven't been but read about these suggestions for Huatulco.

Lodging:

Camino Real Zaashila, at the north end of Tangolunda Bay on a private small beach, the whitewashed luxury hotel has an enourmous pool and 148 rooms w/views www.caminoreal.com

Quinta Real, The most luxurious lodging in the area, w/28 suites www.quintareal.com

Eats:
Ay Caray, beachfront eatery w/fresh seafood

Cafe Huatulco, outstanding coffe from local beans, local chocolate, and Oaxacan breakfast tamales at outdoor tables

Tostado's Grill, seafood and tasty Oaxacan standards

Activities:
National Mexican Turtle Center
www.tomzap.com/turtle.html

Playa La Ventanilla crocodile reserve, 2 miles west of Mazunte

Snorkeling, best coral reefs are at Bahia Cacaluta and Bahia de San Agustin

--
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:11 pm

The Quinta Real is heads and shoulders above the Camino Real. That being said, not much reason to stay in Huatulco more than one night one the flight out.

Our itinerary generally has us flying into HUX, taking one of the taxis, which are all suburbans, from the airport to Puerto Escondido for a few days, then heading to one of the smaller beach towns. Back through Puerto Escondido to go to Oaxaca City, then fly back out through HUX at the end.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Please forgive the shill.

A friend is involved in the construction of this development in Huatulco. The apartments and amenities are superb, I can attest first-hand.

Owners typically rent out their properties for short vacations (often residents of Mexico City etc coming down for long weekends etc). My understanding is that because there is still construction/sales going on (deliberately gentle build, over a number of years), apartments can be rented at good value for money.

I've stayed at the Camino Real, and thought it was pretty decent, although it can become a zoo at peak periods. The beach is excellent.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
H there,

I see this Thread has not been an updated since 12/12 (albeit, its pretty good so far..)

I am traveling to OAX in early December. UA had a killer sale from LAX, during the last few days. I striked yesterday ($232 ai, 6068 PQM's, 3.8 CPM) so.. not only is it a MR, I plan to have a long Weekend as well..

Arriving on a Thursday night and departing on a Monday Morning. From a Foodie Prospective: I see there are good Market Days, (especially on Saturday and Sunday). The latter. (Hilgaditos and Choclate Foam Atole for Breakfast). In that same general area Mezcal (see a James Beard Article Written by my friend Barbara Hansen..http://articles.latimes.com/2003/mar/05/food/fo-mezcal5)

The Pre-Hispanic Stone Soup intriges http://caldodepiedra.com/index.html, also on my foodie agenda are requests of grilled meats, squash and corn soup http://www.gourmet.com/diaryofafoodi.../01/304_oaxaca etc..

As to lodging. I found a small hotel off the Zocalo for a killer rate. Is this a good area to stay? Any other tips or ideas of recent vintage would be most helpful. I really would like to take buses and public transport think its a good idea?) Thanks and Safe Travels..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Sep 1, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Which hotel are you staying at? I'm going in late December myself, but didn't get a deal on airfare
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We'll be in Huatulco in May...anybody ever been to Viena Huatulco cafe? Sounds good...Austrian food in Mexico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.