Wiki Posts
Search

8 days in Mexico City and around

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, American
8 days in Mexico City and around

We are flying next week Tue to MEX arriving at 2pm. From there we will be going to San Miguel de Allende for two day traveling by bus. Then we want to go to Guonajuoto for two days by bus. Returning to Mexico City by bus.

I would love to hear from you with comments about this schedule and tips about the bus travel. Any tips on restaurants will be greatly appreciated. In Mexico City our plan is to stay in Centro Historico but from other comments I get the impression that area is dead at night. But all the sights we want to see are there. Any recommendations for other locations? Zona Rosa, La Condesa? Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by kestasx
We are flying next week Tue to MEX arriving at 2pm. From there we will be going to San Miguel de Allende for two day traveling by bus. Then we want to go to [Guanajuato] for two days by bus. Returning to Mexico City by bus.

I would love to hear from you with comments about this schedule and tips about the bus travel. Any tips on restaurants will be greatly appreciated. In Mexico City our plan is to stay in Centro Historico but from other comments I get the impression that area is dead at night. But all the sights we want to see are there. Any recommendations for other locations? Zona Rosa, La Condesa? Thanks
The Centro isn't near as dead at night as it used to be. Condesa or Polanco are the places you're likely to want to be if you like nightlife. You can get to Condesa and Zona Rosa (ZR only for the least adventurous tourists) from the Insurgentes metro stop; Condesa is accessible from the Patriotismo stop also, so you can get there from the Centro.

In between Insurgentes and Condesa is the Tecla (on beautiful Cibeles Plaza) restaurant, which I recommend. The neighborhood there is the Roma which is more relaxed and bohemian than Condesa. The best coffeeshop/bakery in the Roma is Delisa (Córdoba y Tabasco) -- strongly recommended. The best traditional Mexican sandwich stand is on Sonora between Insurgentes and Amsterdam in the Condesa; there's a great juice stand near by.

In the Centro, Azul Historico (on Isabel la Catolica) is very cool modern Mexican and Mercaderes (on Cinco De Mayo) is very nice in a more classically Mexican way, as is El Cardenal (on Palma). Those are all within a few blocks of the Zócalo. The Vasconia (Palma, too) is my favorite Centro bakery.

As long as you're in the Centro, don't miss the rooftop brunch buffets one of the three hotels that overlook the Zócalo with big views; I like the Gran Hotel de la Ciudad de México buffet best. Cafe Tacuba, La Hostería de Santo Domingo (order a Chile en Nogada), and El Campirano are traditional Centro spots that are very good. La Canadá (on Cinco de Mayo) is the best traditional Mexican juice and fruit+joghurt breakfast spot in the Centro. El Moro is the most traditional churro shop in the country if you love churros and hot chocolate at night in the land where both were invented (Eje Central, 24 hours). El Popular on Cinco de Mayo is open 24 hours and much better than chains like Vips or Sanborns (also 24 hours).

I love the old Vegetariano on Motolinía on the second floor of an old building. It's been there forever but it's a bit weird, even for a vegetarian place. The buffet is always interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.