Search

Road to Oaxaca

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:32 pm
MTC
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Road to Oaxaca

We were in HUX a few months ago when we were "discouraged" to drive to Oaxaca because the road is apparently "tortuous".

We plan to fly to Mexico City and then drive to Puebla and Oaxaca. Any idea if the road is better from the capital city? What's the driving like in Mexico City? Is it safe?

Thanks for all your good advice.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The road to Oaxaca is picturesque, tortuous and is easily driven if one uses a bit of caution. Breakdowns may be marked with rocks, and those may not be removed when the site is cleared. There are plenty of curves with no shoulders or guard rails, occasional animals, drunks walking or driving on Sunday, etc.

I've driven the highway a number of times.

From Huatulco to Oaxaca or reverse, don't do it.

One can of course take the very comfortable bus and rent in Oaxaca to visit the many archaeological and cultural sites, markets and craft villages.

Driving Mexico a city is a flaming zoo. As much and as long as I've driven in Mexico (the entire Republic, since 1962), Mexico City just gets worse every year.

IMO, forget it. Use taxis, buses, the metro, the new "tracked" bus system in the city, use bus intercity - see the thread on Mexican busses, so much more than anything in the US. Rent a car in Puebla if you're going to visit out-of-town sites. Or hire a car and driver. Hire a car in Oaxaca for the days you want to go out of town - and do so.

Did you know this is the first year they began requiring actual driving tests?

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 23, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:07 pm
MTC
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Very much appreciate your post JDiver. Muchas gracias!
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by MTC
Very much appreciate your post JDiver. Muchas gracias!
¡De nada!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by MTC
Any idea if the road is better from the capital city?
Absolutely, no question, hands-down. To Puebla there is a proper (toll) motorway, on to Oaxaca there is a (toll) modern-built highway. No comparison to any other roads in Oaxaca state. That said, drive during daylight hours only.

Originally Posted by MTC
What's the driving like in Mexico City? Is it safe?
Different. Have you driven in developing countries before? If you are a good, comfortable driver, who knows "where his car is" relative to traffic, and you react well to the flow of everything, then you will have no problems. If you are the type of driver who expects others to signal every lane change, stop at every red light, or cannot swerve around last-second pot holes while avoiding hitting anyone or anything else, then you probably shouldn't drive.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Absolutely, no question, hands-down. To Puebla there is a proper (toll) motorway, on to Oaxaca there is a (toll) modern-built highway. No comparison to any other roads in Oaxaca state. That said, drive during daylight hours only.

Different. Have you driven in developing countries before? If you are a good, comfortable driver, who knows "where his car is" relative to traffic, and you react well to the flow of everything, then you will have no problems. If you are the type of driver who expects others to signal every lane change, stop at every red light, or cannot swerve around last-second pot holes while avoiding hitting anyone or anything else, then you probably shouldn't drive.
And even then... Yes, don't expect proper driving courtesies, etc. I had one friend who taught driving at the California Highway Patrol Academy. He spent one day driving in Mexico City - one mild bender from a guy who backed into him, one in a roundabout from a woman who plowed right into him, and by the time he was out by UNAM was caught by a cop wanting a "mordida". Which he initially became very upset about and wanted to go to the station house to argue - though en route I gave the guy what he wanted and a tad more in apology For the walk back to his post because I really wanted to get home to Cuernavaca that afternoon, without a major fracas and leaving with a lot less money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.