Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

QUICK HELP! Just found my immigration card from my last trip!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

I was just going thru my passport wallet, and found my boarding pass from my last trip to Mexico in December - - AND - - -

It STILL HAS the immigration card stapled to it!!! Isn't the gate agent supposed to collect those when you board the plane when you're leaving the country?

I'm flying into MEX tomorrow. Does anyone have any have any idea if I'll have any problems?!?!?

Thanx in advance!

DT
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by davetravels
I was just going thru my passport wallet, and found my boarding pass from my last trip to Mexico in December - - AND - - -

It STILL HAS the immigration card stapled to it!!! Isn't the gate agent supposed to collect those when you board the plane when you're leaving the country?

I'm flying into MEX tomorrow. Does anyone have any have any idea if I'll have any problems?!?!?

Thanx in advance!

DT
One word of advice: fuhgeddaboutit.

Though it is good practice to turn it in at departure, someone forgot to lift the card (not your fault) and Mexico MAY have the means to track these things in essence they don't follow through with an alert system

Relax and ¡buen viaje!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Agreed, nothing to worry about.

However, I would bring it with you in the highly unusual and extremely unlikely case their systems have been upgraded to the 20th Century and they do realize it was not collected last time.

Ironically, had you lost the departure card before leaving Mexico would have charged* you to replace it before allowing you to leave. So, I suppose now they owe you!

*the fee for a lost departure card used to be ~$30us but who knows what it is with current exchange rates.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would forget it and simply say that they must have misfiled it because it was lifted.

Why make trouble where there is none?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Sorry I didn't see this earlier-- I suspect you're good, especially if you're holding the card. If you entered after approx. 10 Dec 2014, you're still within the 180 day visit period... and obviously, have exited.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Well, I'm writing to you from in Mexico City Airport prison.You know, the VIP section, where they have wifi!

Actually, I said nothing, and nothing was said to me.

Thanx for all yer help and suggestions!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:43 pm

Well, I'm writing to you from in Mexico City Airport prison.You know, the VIP section, where they have wifi!

Actually, I said nothing, and nothing was said to me.

Thanx for all yer help and suggestions!
Not impossible. I knew of a jewel thief who had a suite with employees, and the guards would take him (with his money) to excellent shady, up front seats for the bull fights Sunday afternoons. WiFi? $ure!

Glad you made it (I was never worried); thanks for the follow up.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: Mexicana, Aeromexico, AA, Continental, Fiesta Americana, Mayan Palace, Priority Club
Not a problem

I had exactly the opposite problem. Last year I visited I visited Dallas and when I returned to Mexico I found with horror my immigration card. When I visited Houston a month later I took the card with me, but they didnt ask anything
I havent had any problem since then
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aumedina
I had exactly the opposite problem. Last year I visited I visited Dallas and when I returned to Mexico I found with horror my immigration card. When I visited Houston a month later I took the card with me, but they didnt ask anything
So, you're saying that, the US immigration tracking system is exactly as good as the Mexican system.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:19 am

So, you're saying that, the US immigration tracking system is exactly as good as the Mexican system.
I'd s trike the word "exactly".
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by aumedina
Yes, but don't believe that will always be the case. In most cases for simple tourist/business trips it probably will not be a problem. But there are many situations when it could become a problem as the government can/will/may use any excuse to deny an application. Example, when my fiancee (now wife) was going through her K-1 process (changing from B1/B2) we also discovered a departure card that had not been collected properly by airline staff. An immigration attorney and an ICE official both recommended it be turned in as so we took it to the ICE office at IAD.

Ultimately we did not experience any issues due to it in her process but there is no way of knowing if that is because they didn't care to begin with or because it was turned in.

My point - if you find such an document was not turned in be sure to turn it in as soon as possible. Don't give them any excuse to mess up your day.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Just tear it out of your passport and throw it away. The only way they'll give you trouble about it is if they see it still in your passport.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
Just tear it out of your passport and throw it away. The only way they'll give you trouble about it is if they see it still in your passport.
With a Mexico FMM (Forma Migratoria Múltiple para Extranjeros) there is nothing to "tear out" of one's passport. The "talón" or slip the visitor must keep is loose and easily falls out of passport.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Originally Posted by JDiver
With a Mexico FMM (Forma Migratoria Múltiple para Extranjeros) there is nothing to "tear out" of one's passport. The "talón" or slip the visitor must keep is loose and easily falls out of passport.
The OP said it was stapled into the passport.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
The OP said it was stapled into the passport.
I've never seen that unless someone does that themselves; the OP actually stated it was stapled to his boarding pass.

I'd not ever recommend anyone tear out anything from, or particularly a, passport page; that can be viewed with suspicion arriving in the US or in some other countries.

Regardless, the issue has been settled, as stated above by davetravels.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 25, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.