Christmas holidays in Mexico ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas holidays in Mexico ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Question Christmas holidays in Mexico ?

Can anyone suggest someplace in Mexico that could be interesting to spend 7-10 days over the holidays that would not be packed to the rafters or exceedingly expensive. I know holiday travel is usually both, and I usually just give up on the holidays, but need to be off work and would really like to go somewhere not across the planet from San Francisco, but also not where everyone else has decided to go.

Beach and warm weather of course would be great, but any ideas of a place with enough to be interesting and relaxing that might be off the tourist-holiday radar would be appreciated. It does not need to be budget, and I expect most prices will be higher, but not thinking of a 6* resort. Suyalita, Huatulco and Isla Mujueres are places that have heard of in the past that sounded interesting but no idea what they would be like over the holidays. Cancuun would be my idea of hell over the holidays (and honestly, most of the rest of the time too ).
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I love Puerto Vallarta for its multitude of things to do, from relaxing on the beach, to diving, to hiking, to great restaurants. It will, of course, be busy during the holiday season. If you go, I recommend staying in Old Town, south of the river.

I think I'd be bored after 2 days in Salyulita, unless you are an avid surfer, or really just want to completely veg out. It is very small, and a ways from anything else. It's a good day trip from PVR.

Isla Mujeres is nice, but again small, and so close to CUN that it will likely be crowded during the holidays.

I have heard that Isla Holbox is nice, but have never been there.

If you don't have to have beach, you might consider visiting Mexico City and exploring.

Let me know if you want reccs re: PVR or MEX.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
You might look at Tulum. It's not Cancun so will be less crowded. Isla is nice but could get crowded since it's small.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:07 am

Along with Easter, Christmas is one the prime vacation seasons in Mexico. Expect all beach destinations to be *packed*.

Conversely, the cities are relatively empty, quiet, and traffic-free. In Mexico City you can even enjoy a few smog-less days...
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Along with Easter, Christmas is one the prime vacation seasons in Mexico. Expect all beach destinations to be *packed*.

Conversely, the cities are relatively empty, quiet, and traffic-free. In Mexico City you can even enjoy a few smog-less days...
Of course. It is hard to get more Catholic than Mexico. Mexico City might be a bit too city like, but what a place like Oaxaca be any better in terms of crowds, inflated hotel prices etc?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Mérida, perhaps followed by some beach time.

Traditional and friendly. Music, plays, pageantry, decorations everywhere, closed off downtown streets Sundays and holidays, delicious Yucatecan food - not at all like northern, Tex-Mex or even Central Mexico food.

Christmas in Mexico includes the Posadas - ten days of processions headed by the holy family asking for lodging from door to door singing the request for admission to the inn, until they are finally welcomed - with breaking piñatas, nice chocolate atole (pre-Columbian corn drink) called champurrado, tamales, sweets, etc. Pageantry, signing, you name it.

Drives out to the Puuc Hills archaeological region (and nearby Dzibilchaltún). I highly recommend Mérida.

Oaxaca (though possibly crowded) for a very rich Mexico experience. Wonderful markets and food, music, pageantry, amazing crafts, brilliant markets - each village hosts a different craft, and you can spend days exploring Teotitlán del Valle for its textiles, San Bartolo Coyotepéc for its renown black pottery, etc. etc. as well as beautiful colonial Oaxaca itself. Plenty of rish archaeological zones, festivities at the drop of a hat and certainly at Christmas. And the markets... well!

(I had the great privilege of knowing Doña Rosa toward the end of her years, and spent time with my VW camper bus parked there and getting to know her and her son, Don Valente, the masters of San Bartolo black pottery - be careful in other places you do not get "black" pottery with black shoe polish - and observe the entire process, including the reduction fire treatement).

Veracrúz used to be a favorite with its distinctive Jarocho music and Gulf coast food, but I might do a little studying up on security these days. (You might know a Son Jarocho already - this is the authentic La Bamba.)

Christmas preparations begin Dec 12 with the celebration of "Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe", the posadas begin ~24 December and - it ends officially on 6 January, "Dia de los Reyes" or Epiphany with the coming of the three kings / wise men and gifts (though the US habit of piles of gifts at Christmas has inexorably been commercialized and spread like a... well, you get the idea).

¡Navidad en México! ^

Of course, I am biased - I have spent many years exploring even remote corners of México.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 10, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I love Puerto Vallarta for its multitude of things to do, from relaxing on the beach, to diving, to hiking, to great restaurants. It will, of course, be busy during the holiday season. If you go, I recommend staying in Old Town, south of the river.
Any hotels/resorts you recommend?
Old May 7, 2014, 1:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I've been to Oaxaca for X-mas.

Never again.

There are crowds....lots....and they have something called the Festival of the Radishes which occupies the zocalo for the week and it is impossible to get near it.

I really like Oaxaca ...but not for the holidays.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
You might look at Tulum. It's not Cancun so will be less crowded. Isla is nice but could get crowded since it's small.
I agree. Tulum is super quiet even during the peak season.

Another place that may be interesting is Akumal. PM me if you need some help organizing it.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:28 am

We are heading to Mexico City from Xmas eve to New Years. It seems, from reading previous posts, that it won't be crowded like the beaches will. Is that correct? Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by abbydancer
We are heading to Mexico City from Xmas eve to New Years. It seems, from reading previous posts, that it won't be crowded like the beaches will. Is that correct? Thanks
That is correct. Many "Chilangos" will be off to beach destinations (and others as well) for a couple of weeks. As I said previously, sometimes the air gets so smog-free you can see Popocatepetl and Ixtaccihuatl, the snow-capped volcanoes, from the city.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
I would recommend Puebla (some great colonial architecture) and Guadalajara, esp. if you're into tequila.
Sadly I can't comment on Guadalajara as I've only been to Puebla (3x) but if you're in the historic core it's very walkable.

If you go to Puebla, do NOT try the semita if you value your life... that good almost killed me. Even worst, it wasn't good!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I did Mexico City on January 1-7 a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not so many tourists.

What about Guanajuato during this time period? I'm thinking of going to Mexico again in early January and don't want a beach town.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
I did Mexico City on January 1-7 a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not so many tourists.

What about Guanajuato during this time period? I'm thinking of going to Mexico again in early January and don't want a beach town.
If Guanajuato is anything like San Miguel at Christmas...I would hesitate.

We have a house in San Miguel and I try to avoid Christmas week. Very crowded with wealthy Mexico City and Monterrey Nationals. Cars and crowds jam the narrow streets and difficult to get into our favorite restaurants.

We usually wait until just after the first of the year...when the town quiets down by quite a bit to do our winter migration.

Edit: Just re-read your post.... Early January is perfect ( at least in San Miguel)

Last edited by david55; Nov 2, 2014 at 11:01 am
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:53 pm

Early January should be great. The big city dwellers have gone home, and if you're there by Día de los Reyes / Epiphany January 6, there will be Christmas decorations. (Pre-"Santa Clós" becoming a big commercial deal from the north, this was the day the Three Kings / wise men left gifts for the children).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.