Reload this Page >

SJD - San Jose del Cabo / Los Cabos Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Los Cabos International Airport is a smaller airport where one may still board and deplane via mobile stairs and walks across the tarmac to / from the older terminals. It is located about 15 minutes (11 km / 7 miles) from the center of San José del Cabo, and about a half hour from the center of Cabo San Lucas.

The older Terminal 1 primarily handles the departures and arrivals of all flights from Mexico, Central America, and South America.

The new Terminal 2, which mainly handles international flights from the U.S. and Canada, has jetways and more up to date facilities, including fully refurbished facilities, a VIP lounge. See post 35 by Boraxo for information on the lounge and terminal.

Terminal 4 is currently under construction, and is to be joined with Terminal 3 for international operations in the future.

Taxis
Taxis cost roughly twice as much from the airport as to the airport.

Airport Shuttles
In addition to taxis, there are many airport shuttles from and to the airport. The shuttles are typically pre-booked, but it is possible to take one without a pre-booking (see post #59). The prices are based on these three zones:
  • Zone 1 - San Jose del Cabo city
    • Zone 2 - Corredor Turistico (Tourist Corridor)
      • Zone 3 - Cabo San Lucas city
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Those making same day turns from the US must process immigration and customs on arrival, then process back airside with valid boarding pass.

Inside, there are a few shops and if arriving, immigration (hold on to the piece of tourist card you're given back - you must turn it in upon departure or be fined and delayed whilst filling out forms) and customs.

Exiting, prior to arriving landside you may be solicited by a clot of timeshare touts offering "free transport" - outside you will find the "official" taxis and shuttles.

LOUNGES: VIP LOUNGE LOS CABOS
Hours: 9:00am – 7:00pm
Telephone: +52 (624) 1465 207 Ext. 50662

Hours: 6:00am – 5:00pm (may vary monthly in accordance with airline schedules)
Telephone: +52 (624) 1465 208 Ext. 50663
E-mail for both: [email protected]

CONTACT
AEROPUERTO DE SAN JOSÉ DEL CABO, S.A. DE C.V
Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 43.5
San José del Cabo, Baja California Sur, C.P. 23420 México
Tel. +52 (624) 146-51-11, 146-51-12/13
Fax. (624) 146-52-01 / 00, 146-52-08

We will endeavour to update the information here; your efforts will be crucial to that effort.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:00 pm
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
Any insights on car rentals, what to bring/can be brought from the US, and what is not to be missed?
Customs information is here http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/pasaje...s/default.aspx though it's only in Spanish. Some things that might be the most important for you there:
  • Clothes, shoes, personal care and beauty products, baby products if their quantity is reasonable according to the duration of the trip. Baby products if there's a baby traveling, not otherwise.
  • 2 cameras, 3 mobile phones, 1 laptop.
  • 4 fishing rods, 2 personal sports equipment if they can be transported normally by the passenger.
  • 1 portable audio player, portable speakers, portable dvd player.
  • Books, magazines, printed documents that are for personal use.
  • 5 toys, 1 video games console, 5 video games.
  • Personal medication, 1 blood pressure monitor, 1 glucose monitor.
  • Luggage used to transport your belongings.
  • 1 binoculars, 1 telescope, 2 musical instruments, 1 tent, tools.
  • Wheelchairs, canes and whatever disabled people need to use.
  • Passengers 18 or over are allowed up to 10 cigarette packs, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco; up to 3 liters of alcoholic beverages and up to 6 liters of wine.

In addition to that, anything else worth up to 300 USD if entering the country by land or up to 500 USD if arriving by air. Except these amounts can't be used to bring more tobacco or alcohol.

All that is per passenger. Families traveling together can pool their 300 or 500 USD allowances.

Extra merchandise has a duty of 16% except alcoholic beverages (90%) and tobacco products (373% for cigars or 573% for cigarettes).

Dogs and cats with veterinary certificates and pet food as explained in that web page.

Used clothes and shoes that aren't for personal use, live predator fish and Garbage Pail Kids cards are no-nos, as well as illegal drugs, arms, ammunition and any parts of them (including used cartridges), which are sure to land anyone in very serious trouble.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
That's extremely useful! Now I just need to plan what wines I should bring....or find an expat who misses anything from the mid Atlantic.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are actually some drinkable wines (mostly produced un "upper" Baja California. My nice shipped me a nice one recently, but for what to look for, Wine Enthusiast (in this article) says, in part:

The grapes being grown by top Baja producers, including Casa de Piedra, Vińas de Garza, Vinisterra, Rincón de Guadalupe, Hacienda La Lomita, Monte Xanic and Vińas Pijoan, are a mixed bag of varieties that can handle warm conditions. The region produces mostly Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Tempranillo, Syrah, Zinfandel, Grenache, Cabernet Franc and Nebbiolo among reds; Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Viognier among whites.
Why schlep, when you can try some fairly decent wines for national prices?

Baja Wines, Carboley (high end), CCC, La Europea, MEGA / Comercial Mexicana, Soriana, Trader Dick's... They've got 'em.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 4, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

Heads up! Saturday afternoon we endured a horrific 45m wait on arrival at immigration. The prior weekend my inlaws only waited 5m at 11am so not sure if it was time of day or just bust summer season. The worst we've seen in several years. There was no wait for Mexicans Or the new Mex version of GE so well worth signing up if you visit annually. We will do so as soon as our youngest turns 12.

On the plus side, the luggage was waiting by the time we exited and no wait at customs. Also there was no visible damage from the hurricane, it looks like the entire terminal was gutted and redone. Very nice. I will update this next weekend with info on the VIP lounge.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good news: all of the international flights now depart from the wonderful new T-2. The terminal is beautiful - you would not know that a hurricane destroyed the interior a year ago. There was no wait to checkin at Alaska and we did not have to endure the hand search of our checked baggage (which used to be the case) though interestingly they applied a plastic tie-lock on each bag. Was this to prevent theft or misuse by narco-traffickers?

In any case there was no wait at security, no nonsense with shoes, belts or ipads, and we were in the VIP lounge within a few minutes. The lounge is fairly compact but had enough room for families to sit comfortably and it looks like they are working on an upstairs area (spa?) The service was excellent - unlike anything you'll ever see in a USA lounge - with attendants coming by frequently to offer more drinks, food etc. There is a good selection of complimentary alcoholic and non-alc beverages as well as made-to-order sandwiches (with NO mayo - yeah!) and snack items. The only minus point was fairly mediocre free wifi. But definitely one of the better lounges that my family has entered for free on the Lounge Club programme.

To be fair the terminal is vastly improved over the old Cabo airport - now well air-conditioned and features many good food outlets including Starbucks and Subway. And all airlines appear to be using jetways which means no sweaty walks across the tarmac, except for the poor Aeromexico and Volaris customers using the old T-1. Also no more gate searches of carry-on luggage. I like the newly-renovated SJD!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:37 pm

Thanks for the update, Boraxo! It sounds like a much improved location and process. I've updated the wiki from your information.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:14 pm

Since when have Selfie Sticks become classified as weapons? Mine got confiscated this week by Mexican airport security in Cabo!
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by DealDetective
Since when have Selfie Sticks become classified as weapons? Mine got confiscated this week by Mexican airport security in Cabo!
Most selfie sticks (a diving friend of mine calls his a "narci-stick") I've seen cause self-injury.

I can't imagine such as a weapon. The security drone knew you were leaving the country, admired your selfie stick, and boom! Give a small person enough power, and now this chowder head has his own, gratis.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Most selfie sticks (a diving friend of mine calls his a "narci-stick") I've seen cause self-injury.

I can't imagine such as a weapon. The security drone knew you were leaving the country, admired your selfie stick, and boom! Give a small person enough power, and now this chowder head has his own, gratis.
That was exactly my thought. In retrospect, I wish I had broken it in half to demonstrate how flimsy it was and also keep him from using it! The TSA agent in Houston who scrutinized my bottle of Tajin had never heard of selfie sticks being banned.

For the record, the stick was used only twice to taken photos with a scenic background, and we avoided injury
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by DealDetective
That was exactly my thought. In retrospect, I wish I had broken it in half to demonstrate how flimsy it was and also keep him from using it! The TSA agent in Houston who scrutinized my bottle of Tajin had never heard of selfie sticks being banned.

For the record, the stick was used only twice to taken photos with a scenic background, and we avoided injury
I was thinking more of self-injury from publishing some really bad or even incriminating selfies.

Great idea about breaking it in half. "Here, take it; I'm sorry it's so flimsy, but at least now I don't have to take this basura home."
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: Sadly no longer platinum with anyone. Plain old Delta Skymiles member and Marriott Rewards member
I'm heading into Cabo for the first time on Saturday. I arrive on Southwest at 11:20am and my friend arrives on Delta at 11:42am. I am not having any luck trying to find if we both will come into the same customs area / baggage claim or if we will be in different areas. If anyone has information on this it would be greatly appreciated so we can figure out where to meet up.

thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes same area. Read post above. All USA-based airlines in same terminal. You can also text each other for 50c - might be worth it
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:15 pm

is there still a small bar right outside the arrival terminal 2 once you get past all the time share people?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mybagfits
is there still a small bar right outside the arrival terminal 2 once you get past all the time share people?
Yes. An expensive one.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:02 pm

Arrivals area parking

We are picking up friends tomorrow at Terminal 2. Does anyone know where we stop/park while we´re waiting for them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.