Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancun to Mexico City by Train or Bus?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Cancun to Mexico City by Train or Bus?

So I'm planning my first trip to Mexico to visit a friend in Mexico City and thought I might as well squeeze in a visit to Cancun. I can fly a LCC from CUN to MEX but I would rather go by train or bus if possible just to be able to see a bit of the Mexican countryside. Are either of those options possible or advisable in Mexico?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:10 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Exclamation

Originally Posted by liilak
So I'm planning my first trip to Mexico to visit a friend in Mexico City and thought I might as well squeeze in a visit to Cancun. I can fly a LCC from CUN to MEX but I would rather go by train or bus if possible just to be able to see a bit of the Mexican countryside. Are either of those options possible or advisable in Mexico?
Possible yes, but I wouldn't do it. Plenty of workers in CUN come and go via the bus from areas like Villahermosa, Veracruz, and MEX.

If you are insistent on going make sure you know that the bus stays away from the southern regions. With drug/human trafficking, the southern borders of mexico are just as dangerous as the norther border areas like Juarez and Tijuana.

Here are some bus operators in mexico.

Bus Travel in Mexico
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
We have taken the bus from Tucson to Mazatlan and back several times and have found them to be a great way to travel. Best bet is to take an executivo (first class) bus with as few stops as possible. They are generally a bit more expensive than the regular buses but still very reasonably priced. The seats are huge and comfortable and the buses are clean and well maintained.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
Originally Posted by liilak
There is no national passenger rail service in Mexico. Not for the past 15-20 years. It's travel by bus or fly.

Yes, you can make the trip from Cancun to Mexico City by bus, but would you want to? How long a period do you have to make the journey? It's more than a 24-hour trip, one sitting, if that's what you're thinking. Or you could stop along the way in several destinations to see more of the country. But if it's just looking out the window you want to do I suggests you fly, for this particular routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.