Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico Visa query

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Mexico Visa query

Read that anyone with a valid US visa, irrespective of their nationality would be allowed to enter Mexico.

Therefore, they wouldn't need to apply for a separate Mexican tourist visa.

Anyone can confirm this info..??
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:28 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
To confirm this you should check Mexico's Instituto Nacional de Migración...
http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Tramites
Choose your nationality and "Visitar México" and the site will tell you if it's OK to travel with the US visa or not (I know that for some nationalities this is possible but maybe it isn't the same for everyone).

Good luck
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:00 pm

According to Consulado de Mexico en Miami:
With the purpose of simplifying and promoting traveling to Mexico, starting May 1st, 2010:

All foreign visitors who travel to Mexico as tourists, on business, or in transit to another country will not require a Mexican visa, regardless of their country of citizenship, as long as they have a valid passport and a valid US visa (which must be presented before Mexican Immigration authorities at the Port of Entry).

http://portal.sre.gob.mx/miami/index...=page&SubMenu=
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by cindytong
According to Consulado de Mexico en Miami:
With the purpose of simplifying and promoting traveling to Mexico, starting May 1st, 2010
They forgot to add "and in the interest of reducing expenses at our own Instituto Nacional de Migración".

Pretty good deal for Mexico. Let the US handle their visas for them.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
So basically, all that one needs is a Valid Passport & Vaild Multiple entry US Visa, in order to enter Mexico...??
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by El Cochinito
They forgot to add "and in the interest of reducing expenses at our own Instituto Nacional de Migración".

Pretty good deal for Mexico. Let the US handle their visas for them.
Hahahahaha. True yet sad that they can't control their border, and now don't wanna handle visa applications.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:13 pm

Mexican tourist cards at Tijuana Airport

Does anyone know, if I cross via land from California to the TIJ airport to fly to Oaxaca, can I get my tourist card inside the airport (AND pay the fee), or must I do that right when I cross the border from San Ysidro? If so, will the shuttle van allow me the opportunity to do that? Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by Green Lake Guy
Does anyone know, if I cross via land from California to the TIJ airport to fly to Oaxaca, can I get my tourist card inside the airport (AND pay the fee), or must I do that right when I cross the border from San Ysidro? If so, will the shuttle van allow me the opportunity to do that? Thanks for the info!
You can get it at the border or from the airline at the airport. The TC is free and only needed for trips outside the border zone.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by alexb133
Hahahahaha. True yet sad that they can't control their border, and now don't wanna handle visa applications.
Long story short. As a country with a strong tourist vocation, Mexico would be naturally inclined to offer visa free travel to most nationalities.

However, due to our proximity to the US, our government is pressured by unnamed parties -not- to offer easy entry for nationals of many countries as they could in theory use us as a transit point to illegally enter the US.

Hence, now things are simpler, if you have a US Visa you naturally do not fit into that risk group and are free to enter Mexico without a Visa. Sounds logical to me.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Open Jaw
You can get it at the border or from the airline at the airport. The TC is free and only needed for trips outside the border zone.
The FMT (official Mexican Spanish abbreviation for what we refer to as a "tourist card") is a permit required of visitors staying longer than 72 hours (including the border zone) or traveling outside the US/Mexico border zone (regardless of length of stay). They are granted for up to a maximum of 180 days by Mexican Immigration.

There is most assuredly a fee for the FMT - it is approximately US$22 (depending on the current exchange rate) but the fee is included in the multitude of taxes and fees that your pay for international airline or cruise ship tickets. If you cross the land border you will need to pay the fee to obtain the FMT from Mexican Immigration.

You can wait until arriving at Tijuana's airport and get your FMT from the airline as previously posted. What is not clear to me is whether or not you've already paid for the FMT or not given that your flight is domestic and not international. So don't be too surprised if you have to pay at the airport.

Whatever you do don't lose the FMT and remember to turn it back in to the airline when leaving Mexico. If you lose the FMT you will need to replace it or face a possible fine.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
The FMT (official Mexican Spanish abbreviation for what we refer to as a "tourist card") is a permit required of visitors staying longer than 72 hours (including the border zone) or traveling outside the US/Mexico border zone (regardless of length of stay). They are granted for up to a maximum of 180 days by Mexican Immigration.

There is most assuredly a fee for the FMT - it is approximately US$22 (depending on the current exchange rate) but the fee is included in the multitude of taxes and fees that your pay for international airline or cruise ship tickets. If you cross the land border you will need to pay the fee to obtain the FMT from Mexican Immigration.

You can wait until arriving at Tijuana's airport and get your FMT from the airline as previously posted. What is not clear to me is whether or not you've already paid for the FMT or not given that your flight is domestic and not international. So don't be too surprised if you have to pay at the airport.

Whatever you do don't lose the FMT and remember to turn it back in to the airline when leaving Mexico. If you lose the FMT you will need to replace it or face a possible fine.
Thanks for clearing up the price for the FMT. Most of my Mexico trips begin and end in MEX so I never realized that the FMT is not free but included in my airline fare.

You are right that someone can stay in Mexico for up to 180 days but you must ask for it at the Immigration counter. I have done this many times. If you do not ask, however, they will give you 90 days. One time a female agent at MEX only gave me 10 days after I told her that I was only in the Mexican Republic for a week. I was shocked but I did not care because it was only short vacation.

After my friend had to pay an $80USD fine in cash for losing his FMT, I always make copies of it.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:45 am

There is most assuredly a fee for the FMT - it is approximately US$22 (depending on the current exchange rate) but the fee is included in the multitude of taxes and fees that your pay for international airline or cruise ship tickets.
It is worth mentioning that the fee is automatically levied when you buy a ticket for a flight to Mexico from abroad, regardless of nationality. As a Mexican national, you need not pay the fee, and you can usually get it reimbursed by the airline upon proof of citizenship.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:40 pm

Sometimes, the agent will give you 180 days in Mexico, even though you didn't ask for it. On the other hand, it's never guaranteed that they'll give you 180 days in the country even if you request it.

The number of days on your visa is more-or-less arbitrary and is at the whim of the immigration officer.

Originally Posted by Open Jaw
Thanks for clearing up the price for the FMT. Most of my Mexico trips begin and end in MEX so I never realized that the FMT is not free but included in my airline fare.

You are right that someone can stay in Mexico for up to 180 days but you must ask for it at the Immigration counter. I have done this many times. If you do not ask, however, they will give you 90 days. One time a female agent at MEX only gave me 10 days after I told her that I was only in the Mexican Republic for a week. I was shocked but I did not care because it was only short vacation.

After my friend had to pay an $80USD fine in cash for losing his FMT, I always make copies of it.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Specifically for TIJ as you enter the airport there is a large hall outside security. Then there is an immigration station on either side of the check-in area prior to entering the check-in area. Occasionally they are unmanned but even if you can get away with walking past that is a bad idea and would probably be caught by the check-in agent. Usually there is someone there but if they are on break or something you have to track one down. You get the blank FMT and fill it out and go to the airline ticket office window outside security opposite the check-in area to pay directly to the airline for it. It is not necessarily to show your ticket and you can use whatever airline ticket window has the shortest line without regard to the airline you are flying. I usually get the blank form from the immigration officer since there are usually few non-Mexicans and therefor no line, then fill it out in line at the airline ticket window. The airlines might have the blank form too, don't know never asked. Pay your $22, the airline certifies it paid and gives you a receipt and you return to the immigration station and the officer will entry stamp your passport if you are traveling on one, entry stamp the FMT and sign it and and put how many days it is good for which on his whim may be a few days or 6 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.