Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hawaii Properties

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards
Marriott Hawaii Properties

[I just joined this forum today, so please be gentle!

I am planning a second honeymoon to Hawaii betweed 2-16 Aug 2008. Ive stayed at the Mariott Waikii and Ko Olina. Can anyone provide me any useful suggestions in looking at Marriott properties on the Big Island, Kuai and Maui for a stay on points? Room views are nice, but it is more what the entire property offers, and its proximity to beach and sights that interest me. Does anyone know of any deals? How about the Ritz-Carlton on Maui (and using points)? Sorry for the ramble, but I'd like to make this trip as special as possible.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:46 am

Programs: HA Gold, Wn CP, US Silver, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circle*, HH silver,
We just returned from HI and stayed one week at Ko Olina on Oahu and 2 days at the Waikaloa on the Big Island. You've stayed at Ko Olina, so you already know what to expect, but we were very disapointed with the Waikaloa property. The rooms have been remodeled or updated, so they're decent, but the property itself is very old and the grounds shabby. I would not recommend it for a honeymoon experience.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA - Gold; MR - LT Silver
Hi Mike,

The brand new Mrs. WIbornFIB and I went to Maui on our honeymoon in July, and we had a blast there. We stayed at the Waliea Beach Club Marriott for 7 nights on points. It is in a good location to use points because you are right next to the Mall, and you are next to a lot of other resorts. The down sides are that you don't have any beach front, but if you walk maybe 500 feet either way you'll get to beach.

We originally booked the Ritz - Maui and got bumped because they were remodeling and I think they still are until the first of the year. Anyway, the Waliea Beach Club is very nice, make sure that you book with breakfast included or just don't eat breakfast at the resort if you want to save $$$. By the way the concierge is fantastic at the Beach Club Marriott. He gave us great suggestions and everything we did was fantastic.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I agree with Waikaloa - nice but not as nice as the other Marriott's in the islands (or the Hilton next door). I'd highly recommend Maui, or Kaui if you're looking for quieter (as in, no chances to jetski, parasail, etc.)
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:04 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I've stayed at The Waikoloa (pre-renovation) and The Kauai Marriot Resort and Beach Club (earlier this summer). We liked the Kauai Beach Club alot. The rooms themselves are of decent size and are comfortable, but they haven't been renovated in quite a while. If that matters to you, you won't like it their. The pool is large and very nice surrounded by 5 Jacuzzi's on one side. The hotel is on Kalapaki beach which is very nice for swimming, bodysurfing, and sun bathing. There are a few restaurant choices on property or adjacent to it though only one is actually operated by Marriott.

Overall, if you're looking for a quieter low-key location, with good hiking, nice beaches, and good snorkeling you will like Kauai. If you want nightlife and more action, Maui would be a much better choice.

--Jon
Old Sep 14, 2007, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
As far as Hawaii Marriotts go, I've done 1 week each at Kauai and Renaissance Wailea.

I believe Renaissance Wailea has since closed for renovations and is leaving the Marriott system entirely. (I haven't stayed close to the rumors...last I heard was that it was coming back as a Starwood - perhaps a timeshare property.) Bummer - I loved that property exactly the way it was.

Marriott Kauai is a fairly typical large Marriott beach resort. Nice place - I'd go back - and in general I loved the whole island of Kauai. I was there on an award, and received a great upgrade to a top-floor corner room with a full ocean view. Rooms are a bit dated, but this didn't detract from our stay. Still a very clean, high-quality hotel.

The Marriott Wailea (the regular property, not MVCI) and the Marriott Waikaloa are both converted Outriggers. Having stayed down the street from both of these (at Ren Wailea and Hilton Waikaloa), my perception from the exterior is that they don't fully live up to what we'd expect from the Marriott brand. Of course, I didn't see the rooms and I know both properties are throwing a bunch of money into upgrading the facilities, so maybe they are better. I'm skeptical: both of these props looked like they needed a lot of work to convert them into what we expect from a typical high-category Marriott.

We also had dinner in a Renaissance in Waikiki one night. Right down the street from Hilton Hawaiian Village. Until I walked past it, I wasn't even aware there was a Renaissance there. Dinner was pretty good - the building was a high-rise hotel, not so much a beach resort. I wonder if it's still a Renaissance...
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:19 pm

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton on Maui on points and loved it. I can't wait to go back post renovations. I would also endorse either Maui or Kaui. I'm biased to Maui for its fantastic restaurants.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:09 pm

Aah, this is a difficult one...we were at the Wailea Marriott last summer and as much as I love the location I have no interest in staying there again until they update the pools!! The resort is casual (rooms were recently updated, and some might consider them a bit sparse) and probably not as casually elegant as the JW Ko Olina, whose pool is also lacking. Marriott needs to do something about their pools! If you are interested in golf there is the Emerald, Gold & BLue course (I believe Blue was going private) that my dh enjoyed

We visited the Ritz in Maui (which I didn't know was being renovated), the grounds are lovely , the pool is very nice compared to the Marriott and my favorite part is the lounge chairs have towel covered cushions...(I think they may even spritz you w/evian water now and then, and I also saw them walking around the pool area w/canapes) making the place feel much more upscale then the Marriott.

I would stay away from Kaanapali for a second honeymoon, it is soooo crowded and not relaxing at all (unless of course you're bringing the kids).

My favorite island is Kauai, I haven't been to the Kauai Beach Club in almost 7 years but the pool was lovely (wow, I said something positive about Marriott pools) and it has a swimmable beach. You can do many day trips from there and if you were to take a helicopter ride, this is the island to do it, the coastline and many, many waterfalls are just beautiful. As for golf my dh's favorite is Poipu at the Hyatt, which also has a terrific restaurant Tidepools (perfect for a special dinner).

If you have a car (which I think is needed) you can find great restaurants on any of the Islands, my favorite restaurant is Merrimans on the Big Island and that is my second fav helicopter tour (the volcano is awesome).

I can go on and on but this post is way to long as it is !

BTW, I have read on this board that the Wailea Renaiaaance is slated to be knocked down to become a Starwood resort, but not a timeshare as Wailea does not permit them.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by stephfj
Aah, this is a difficult one...we were at the Wailea Marriott last summer and as much as I love the location I have no interest in staying there again until they update the pools!!
I thought they just re-did the pools??
Old Sep 15, 2007, 11:23 am

I was there August 2007 and they didn't even have a start date, if the pools are done I'm very glad to hear this ^. It was my understanding that they were also building a new pool in addition to refreshing the existing pools.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: DL, UAL, USAir
The Renaissance is becoming a Baccarrat hotel, run by Starwood.

Closed on the 6th. I am sad to see it go. Went there just over a year ago for my honeymoon. THe rooms were in dire need of repair, but it was a gorgeous property and far superior in location to the other Wailea hotels, I think.

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=33911
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by stephfj
I was there August 2007 and they didn't even have a start date, if the pools are done I'm very glad to hear this ^. It was my understanding that they were also building a new pool in addition to refreshing the existing pools.
Seems there may be confusion here.....stephfj, were you just there several weeks ago or a year ago? Because the Marriott Waikoloa HAS added a new pool, which was just finished around Jan 2007. I was there in Feb 2007. It is a salt water filtration infinity pool, closest to the hotel, in a crescent-type shape with attached jacuzzi.

And ps to the OP, I've stayed at the JW Ko Olina, Maui Marriott, Kauai Marriott and Marriott Waikoloa (as well as both the Hilton Waikoloa and Hilton Hawaiian Village).

Each Marriott property was different. I'd say the Kauai Marriott was most like a 'resort' feel....Waikoloa and Ko Olina are much more laid back but would be lovely for a second honeymoon. Maui Marriott....doubtful that you could even get a room as it has converted to all timeshare units. Have a great time wherever you end up.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
We were at the Waikoloa in March. The new pool is nice, but while we were there they started re-finishing the old one. We thought we had missed all the construction. The beach has a large berm, supposedly for wave protection. I thought that what the coral reef that mother nature put out there was for.

We used points for our honeymoon but in a different way. I purchased the gift certs and booked better rooms than what was available with points. We had a spa suite at the Ihilani which was really cool. We stayed in a cabana room at Kona which was nice, but not that nice.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA, MR, AA
We've stayed at Kauai Marriott 4 or 5 times. It's my favorite Marriott hawaii property - rooms are a little dated but will be refurbished in 2008. Great pool, great location and probably pretty easy to get with points if you book early.

Wailea Marriott - stayed here twice. Cat 7 so more points, but probably not too difficult to get if you do it early. I swear they've been renovating this place for 6 years, but think they're about done. Wailea is much more relaxed than Lahaina/Kaanapali side.

The Marriott Ocean Club on the Kaanapali side would be the most difficult to get with points in my opinion and is more family oriented.

Waikola Marriott -stayed here pre-construction. Cat 6 and probably also easy to get with points. Hotel is in a great location. We only stayed here for 3 nights, so not too much else to say since all has changed. King shops are very close however which is nice.

If you stay at Kauai Marriott the Kalapaki Beach hut has great breakfast and it's cheap. The Koi get fed at 9:00 AM daily and the big white swan is named Zeus. As you can see, I love this property and can't wait to go back!

Not sure where you're coming from, so I do not know if the number of stops/connections is a factor - just pointing that out. For me, i can get to OGG, HNL, or KOA without having to get off of the plane and LIH is one stop.

Have fun -you can't really make a wrong decision - it's Hawaii after all!
Old Sep 20, 2007, 6:06 pm

flyerwife, sorry I did mean August 2006 but as you'll see in my text I was refering to the Marriott in Wailea, Maui not the Waikoloa property on the Big Island.

Out of curiosity, I called the Wailea Marriott the other day for an update: the existing pools have all been refurbished, but they have not started construction on the new pool yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.