Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SkiAdcock's AMS Marriott Trip Reports: Updated September 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkiAdcock's AMS Marriott Trip Reports: Updated September 2013

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by funtotravel
Thanks for all the details on this hotel.

With the renovations do you know if there will still be washer/dryers available for personal use?

For a 2 night tourist stay, how does this location and hotel in general relate to the Hilton? I have the highest status for each brand so exec lounge access and other perks I'd have either chain I choose.
AFAIK the washer/dryers are still there.

I've stayed at both Marriott & Hilton. Marriott has a better location for a 2-night tourist stay.

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
AFAIK the washer/dryers are still there.

I've stayed at both Marriott & Hilton. Marriott has a better location for a 2-night tourist stay.

Cheers.
Thank you! I just booked the Marriott!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Me too. But just so folk know, construction is Nov-Jan. I know they're doing things in stages, so not sure when the new lounge will open. I'll check w/ the staff once things get started. Cheers.
Has anyone stayed recently and got an update on the new lounge? I won't be in Amsterdam until the end of the month. Is the old one closed? I really enjoyed this lounge on past visits and will miss it so I hope the new one will be better, minus the views.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

I was actually going to email the GM of the hotel & ask him how it was going. We chatted about the renovations for about 30 minutes when I was there last September.

It was supposed to start in November & last 90 days, ending about now. I'll see if he's got some pics he can send me & I'll add them to the link above where I have other pics of the property.

The lounge will be on the ground floor now & have a private outside garden; it will also be significantly larger.

The upstairs lounge, when the new one is finished, will be refurbed; turned back into guest rooms.

If you're there the end of the month, you might be the first one to report back!

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:18 am

Just arrived at the Marriott Amsterdam and the old lounge on the 9th floor is open as usual and still delightful. Part of the lobby is still under reconstruction and very noisy! Looks quite a building site!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Strawb
Just arrived at the Marriott Amsterdam and the old lounge on the 9th floor is open as usual and still delightful. Part of the lobby is still under reconstruction and very noisy! Looks quite a building site!
I emailed the GM a week ago & he said construction was ongoing, but that the ground floor is going to be fabulous when it's done. Guess as w/ all things construction it's taking longer than normal. Since guest rooms don't start for another 2 levels higher up, hopefully it's not interfering w/ sleep.

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:47 am

I emailed the GM a week ago & he said construction was ongoing, but that the ground floor is going to be fabulous when it's done. Guess as w/ all things construction it's taking longer than normal. Since guest rooms don't start for another 2 levels higher up, hopefully it's not interfering w/ sleep.

Cheers.
Sunday has been very quiet in the lobby despite work still being carried out. Had a sneak preview of the new lounge on the ground floor and it looks all stylish and modern and in complete contrast to the old lounge. The manager I spoke to said the opening date of March 1st had been delayed a week and the new anticipated opening date will be March 8th, subject to the refurbishment finishing on time. I will miss the old lounge with the view of Leidsplein for sure. When I get back to London I'll post some a couple of pictures of the new lounge I've taken on my camera phone.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:22 pm

Here they are. Apologies for the lack of quality but I did use my camera phone. Also includes pictures of part of the new lobby area which is completed. The other half is still under renovation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1697459...7623419091757/

Last edited by Strawb; Mar 2, 2010 at 5:30 pm
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Looks very nice, now we just have to hope that they open it on weekends!!!

I will miss the view too, it was nice sitting with a glass of wine on a summer evening watching the world go by at Liedseplein before dinner.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:36 am
Original Poster

I'll miss the view of the Leidesplein as well, but the old lounge was pretty small & got very crowded. The GM had told me last year that part of the plan for putting the executive lounge on the ground floor is that there would be an outdoor patio/garden for the warmer months that people could sit outside at w/ glass of wine or book. The lounge is usually open on weekends, so I'd be a bit surprised if they decided to close it.

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
Okay now I am really confused! My spouse and I will be in AMS this fall and I made a award stay at the Ren though maybe I should change to the MAR. Any suggestions as we will only be tourists coming from a meeting in Poland.
Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tatmtr7
Okay now I am really confused! My spouse and I will be in AMS this fall and I made a award stay at the Ren though maybe I should change to the MAR. Any suggestions as we will only be tourists coming from a meeting in Poland.
Thanks
Well both hotels are good, so it's not like you're going to go wrong w/ either. Both have recently been renovated. AFAIK both keep their lounges open on the weekends; with the recent renovation Marriott's exec lounge will be much larger than Ren. I think Marriott is closer to the museums, as most tourists do those & it's across from the Leidesplein which is a fun area; others like being closer to Dam Square/train station (DS also being fun & close to some stuff). I prefer Marriott; others prefer Ren. As mentioned, you won't go wrong with either.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:38 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
New lounge is open -- as of Saturday March 6th. As people mentioned it is downstairs on the main floor just past reception.

Breakfast -- 6 am to 10 am Monday to Friday
and on Saturday and Sunday 6:30 to 10:30AM

Cocktails Daily 5:30pm to 9:30pm

Still some kinks to iron out. Have not moved the internet terminals yet in the lounge.

Was comfy to wait for my room because of my 9AM early arrival.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Greetings from AMS Marriott!!

Have been here for 8 days for trade show. The new ground floor renovation is fabulous! The staff here has always been great; one of the main reasons I stay here. Think this is the 13th year in a row.

The new exec lounge is really big. Also has free wireless - you get a code from the biz center. Good for 24-hours. Can get one each day.

I've taken pictures of the new renovation & will upload them to my photo website tomorrow, & post link then. I'll also do a detailed update of everything you need to know & update post #1 tomorrow as well. I'm just too exhausted to do it tonight.

BTW - for those who say they stay at Ren cuz it's easy to get to Central Station from the airport. A heads up - just found out that there's a bus from Schiphol that stops across the street from the Marriott (#197) & vice versa re: getting to Schiphol. It's 4.30Euros. The concierge has a copy of the schedule. Am going to take it to the airport tomorrow. Will report back then. Of course I can't remember the last time I took a bus so it could be quite the experience!

Cheers.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Good luck with your "bus" experience and look forward to your pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.