Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Gulf Coast/FL Panhandle Properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gulf Coast/FL Panhandle Properties

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
New Property on the beach or across the street?

There is a Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach-West Destin showing up as opening in August 2014. Can anyone tell me if this is on the beach or across the street from the beach?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier, SPG Plat, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
Looks like it is on the beach google maps - have previously stayed at a holiday inn that was on the same part of Santa Rosa Blvd, but I am kind of surprised that it is only cat 5 if it is on the beach.

Last edited by kbh1234; Jul 10, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kbh1234
Anyone stayed at the FI in Destin? It looks like a new property - still not on the beach but maybe closer than the CY/RI?
This is a rennovated and rebranded Comfort Inn & Suites. Not beachfront, but directly across the street from the fairly lightly used Henderson Beach State Park, which is paid admission (probably $4 per car) compared to free county beaches. It's smack in the middle of a commercial strip. Fuddpucker's restaurant adjacent to it is a total tourist trap, but kids will probably like the gator exhibit.

Originally Posted by RDB68
There is a Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach-West Destin showing up as opening in August 2014. Can anyone tell me if this is on the beach or across the street from the beach?
I checked the parcel map on the county tax collector's web site. It's on the beach side of Santa Rosa Blvd, but it looks like there's a condo complex between it and the beach proper. It's also adjacent to a small county beach access park that's not too heavily used except on weekend summers. Picture from the county showed it when it was vacant sand, but if they've positioned the hotel right, some rooms should have a little bit of a Gulf view.

As long as I'm posting here, I'll note that the TownePlace Suites Fort Walton Beach-Eglin AFB looks like it's getting close to completion, but even though it's got a bayfront location, it really is more for the military side of town than the touristy stuff. (Same goes for the Fairfield Inn in Shalimar.)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
beachmouse, thanks for the info!

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:09 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Assuming my aching tooth doesn't cause me too much problems, I'll be heading down to Destin this weekend and will try to drive by the property and check out just where it really is.

If it is actually on the beach and still only a Cat. 5, this would be a very good place to use up some of those Cat. 1-5 Megabonus/CC certs. (Actually, if it is just off the beach, it still might be a very good place for those certs.)
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:24 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
So while down in the Destin/Fort Walton Beach area this past week, I did take a moment to drive down to see where the new FFI is.

It is on the same side of the road as the beach, so no crossing any roads to get to the beach. Basically, most of the hotels around there have their "long" side facing the beach, but this FFI is being built between two other hotels and so there isn't enough room to building it totally facing the beach. So only one side will face the beach and it is just a bit off the beach when compared to the other hotels, though it would probably still be considered a "beach" hotel.

If it stays a Cat. 5, then I could see this being a good deal (especially when using promo or CC certs.)
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:17 am

Thanks for the 'drive by update' hoope01. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Pensacola Beach Springhill Suites

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I wind up in the Panhandle once a quarter, and have stayed at the Pensacola SHSs the last few times. It is a pretty standard SHS - as the other poster noted it's not a resort - but it's very well run and clean.
We just returned from an off-season (November) stay at the Pensacola Beach Springhill Suites. While walking around, I noticed some differences between it and the usual (non-beach) SHS I have stayed at. Pensacola Beach has a lot more luggage carts than the typical SHS! It also seemed to have a lot more pool space than the typical SHS -- I think I saw two separate kiddie pools (1 ft deep) and two separate regular-depth pools.

The breakfast area is right next to the outdoor pools and there were some outdoor tables. It looked like the breakfast area becomes a sandwich shop in the afternoon/evening. There was a stocked bar (and cash register behind it), so I suspect they serve food and drinks at the pool area.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
The beach behind the hotel is pretty awesome in terms of family style Panhandle beach. If you're looking for that type of experience, this hotel is perfect. If you're looking for massages, spa treatments and gourmet meals, stay elsewhere.
That's a great description, CJKatl! The SHS format is a brilliant choice for a beach. Guests can eat breakfast & lunch on site, spend the day at the beach and/or pool, then go out to dinner nearby.... and bring their leftovers back to their room fridge, then microwave it for lunch the following day.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:12 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.