Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Rewards Visa in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Marriott Rewards credit card for Canadians?

Does anyone know of a credit card available to Canadian residents that allows you to accumulate Marriott Reward points?

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. Sorry if this has been covered off elsewhere, but I can't get the search function to work today...

EDITED TO ADD: Details of the newly launched Chase Marriott Rewards Platinum Visa can be found in this thread at this post:DETAILS FROM APPLICATION

Last edited by GregWTravels; Dec 3, 2006 at 1:41 pm
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:32 am

Diners Club Canada allows you to convert Club Rewards points to Marriott Rewards Points (2,250 DC points = 1,500 Rewards Points) AFAIK this is the only card in Canada to offer this.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Do points converted from Dinners Club count as points earned for the purposes of lifetime status?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:28 pm

There is now a Marriott Rewards Visa credit card for Canadians.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Interesting....Which bank? How do you apply?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by ussie44
Interesting....Which bank? How do you apply?
I just found out today, and all the details haven't been released. It hasn't yet been announced even on www.marriottrewards.com. I'll let everyone know when I find out more details.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Probably MBNA, Capital One or Citibank Canada, I'm guessing. But will be curious to see who it is at any rate.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting news.

Have been asking this question for a few years.Unfortunately for me,I was a Gold member for 3 consecutive years and have 0 stays to date in 2006.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC 25K, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Rewards_Guy
I just found out today, and all the details haven't been released. It hasn't yet been announced even on www.marriottrewards.com. I'll let everyone know when I find out more details.

this is very interesting .... as canadians we have too little to choose from when it comes to reward credit cards
Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by tcook052
Probably MBNA, Capital One or Citibank Canada, I'm guessing. But will be curious to see who it is at any rate.
I thought MBNA, Capital One and Citibank only issued Mastercards in Canada? If this is a visa, it'll be through TD, CIBC, Scotiabank... any other Visa issuing banks in Canada?

CIBC mentioned something about changes to their VISA cards soon... could this Marriott Rewards Visa be it?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
I thought MBNA, Capital One and Citibank only issued Mastercards in Canada? If this is a visa, it'll be through TD, CIBC, Scotiabank... any other Visa issuing banks in Canada?
RBC is Visa. So is Vancity/Citizens Bank, Laurentian and Desjardins. And Bank of America was offering an Alaska Airlines Visa in Canada but I believe it is now a Mastercard.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:09 pm

If they do it, I'll bet it's VISA as that's what they have in the US and UK now. I took the MC MNBA card out for Starwood when it came out and earned all the bonus points real fast ... great free card and it exposed me to some really nice SPG hotels in Italy last year, where Marriott has next to nothing.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Sent off an email to the good folks at Marriott Rewards customer service, and here's the answer I got:

Dear Mr. GregWTravels,

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards in reference to a Chase Visa card for Canadian residence.

We should be announcing a Chase Marriott Rewards Visa available to the residence of Canada with in the next couple of months. Please watch the mail for this announcement. It will also be posted on the Marriott website at Marriott.com.

Please feel free to email us for further updates in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

We look forward to be able to offer this service.

So, looks like they are planning to launch a Chase card before the end of the year. Yay, it's good to be Canadian again!
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:33 am

Thanks a lot. This gives me a really good reason to switch from the Air Canada Aeroplan card! (Ever tried to use AC points lately to get from X to Y without having to spend a night in Flin Flon? ) (No offense intended to residents of Flin Flon!)
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:57 pm

Just made an enquiry to Marriott re the Canadian Visa card. I was told there has been a short delay in introducing it but it should be available soon.

I was also told that the sign-up bonus will be 5000 points. That seems a bit chintzy when the US bonus is, if I recall correctly, 15,000 points. Anyone else heard this? Anyone have any ideas why this should be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.