Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Finally Figure out Poor Suite Upgrade Chance in US-based Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally Figure out Poor Suite Upgrade Chance in US-based Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HU G, 3U G, CZ G, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL Plat, IHG SRA, TK G, Hilton G
Cool Finally Figure out Poor Suite Upgrade Chance in US-based Marriott

I have a 100% suite upgrade experience with marriott in asia.However, in United States, I only get 40% of them . Today I talked to manager of Boston Copley Place, he told me that in most cases we group sell our suites to meetings/events so normally suite is un-upgradable to platinum suite simply because they are full. So it is hard to directly book a suite online since it always show sold out or not available. .... And most hotels have suites like 4 out of 200 or 2o out of 500.... thats why.
Actually, IHG RA might be the best one for suite-lover lol. But I still like marriott lol...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yi Yang
I have a 100% suite upgrade experience with marriott in asia.However, in United States, I only get 40% of them . Today I talked to manager of Boston Copley Place, he told me that in most cases we group sell our suites to meetings/events so normally suite is un-upgradable to platinum suite simply because they are full. So it is hard to directly book a suite online since it always show sold out or not available. .... And most hotels have suites like 4 out of 200 or 2o out of 500.... thats why.
Actually, IHG RA might be the best one for suite-lover lol. But I still like marriott lol...
This would be true for large properties that frequently are part of conventions, but typically there would be some periods when those hotels are fairly empty. The reason also wouldn't apply to many smaller Marriotts or those in locations that don't get a lot of convention traffic.

For some group contracts, the organizer gets some "free" suites to give to officers of the organization, convention plannners, etc.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 4, 2014 at 4:52 am Reason: typos
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Pretty simple. If you are in some joint for 1-2 nights you may slide into a suite. If you want it for 7 days plan to pay the daily upcharge.

This is where I've found MR program is not very good. Even using points when on vacation I have to pay the resort fee and if I want/need the suite/jr suite I end up payon 50-150 per night on top of using points. May as well book off-brand hotel and end up less cash out of pocket.

MR makes no promise of suites and even in Asia, a suite is far from a lock. Curious what hotels you stay at in Asia where you've been 100% upgraded? By upgrade I'm talking a suite, not simply a club level floor or city vs parking lot view (those IMO are not really upgrades).
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I have a 100% suite upgrade experience with marriott in asia.However, in United States, I only get 40% of them.
You're doing much better than most in the US, in over 300 nights with Marriott in the US I can count my suite upgrades on one hand.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
You're doing much better than most in the US, in over 300 nights with Marriott in the US I can count my suite upgrades on one hand.
I'm running 40-50% in the US... I guess it all about location, location, location...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Pretty simple. If you are in some joint for 1-2 nights you may slide into a suite. If you want it for 7 days plan to pay the daily upcharge.

This is where I've found MR program is not very good. Even using points when on vacation I have to pay the resort fee and if I want/need the suite/jr suite I end up payon 50-150 per night on top of using points. May as well book off-brand hotel and end up less cash out of pocket.

MR makes no promise of suites and even in Asia, a suite is far from a lock. Curious what hotels you stay at in Asia where you've been 100% upgraded? By upgrade I'm talking a suite, not simply a club level floor or city vs parking lot view (those IMO are not really upgrades).
Actually, Marriott does now promises a suite, if available, in Asia for stays of 3 days or less for Plat members. Longer stays are up to the hotel to decide. But, in reality, you do get upgraded to suites there very often. Many older US Marriotts don't even have suites and if they only have like 4 out of 200+ hotel rooms. And like the OP said, a lot of times these rooms are used more for meetings, etc. Think of a room with a Murphy bed, for example.

Here is the link (you have to be logged in first):
https://www.marriott.com/hotel-promo...ite-upgrade.mi

Here are the terms:

Complimentary suite upgrades are subject to availability for Platinum Elite members staying at participating hotels located in Asia Pacific.
Participating hotel brands in Asia Pacific include: JW Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts and Courtyard by Marriott® Hotels. Hotel locations in Asia Pacific include: Australia, China (including Hong Kong S.A.R.), Guam, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. In Japan and South Korea, suite upgrades may be limited and may be offered at the hotel's discretion.
Complimentary Suite Upgrade: Generally, based on availability at check-in; in some cases, availability is determined later in the day. Limited to a Member’s personal guestroom. Upgrades include most available suite types, except Presidential Suites, Chairman Suites and other signature suites. For stays greater than 3 nights, suite upgrades are subject to the hotel’s discretion.
Rewards Program Terms and Conditions apply.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
Actually, Marriott does now promises a suite, if available, in Asia for stays of 3 days or less for Plat members. Longer stays are up to the hotel to decide. But, in reality, you do get upgraded to suites there very often. Many older US Marriotts don't even have suites and if they only have like 4 out of 200+ hotel rooms. And like the OP said, a lot of times these rooms are used more for meetings, etc. Think of a room with a Murphy bed, for example.

Here are the terms:

Complimentary suite upgrades are subject to availability for Platinum Elite members staying at participating hotels located in Asia Pacific.
Participating hotel brands in Asia Pacific include: JW Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts and Courtyard by Marriott® Hotels. Hotel locations in Asia Pacific include: Australia, China (including Hong Kong S.A.R.), Guam, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. In Japan and South Korea, suite upgrades may be limited and may be offered at the hotel's discretion.
Complimentary Suite Upgrade: Generally, based on availability at check-in; in some cases, availability is determined later in the day. Limited to a Member’s personal guestroom. Upgrades include most available suite types, except Presidential Suites, Chairman Suites and other signature suites. For stays greater than 3 nights, suite upgrades are subject to the hotel’s discretion.
The significance of the wording (as opposed to the reality) does not appear materially different than in North America where suite upgrades, upon availability, are explicitly part of the program as opposed to formerly, when they were specifically excluded.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HU G, 3U G, CZ G, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL Plat, IHG SRA, TK G, Hilton G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This would be true for large properties that frequently are part of conventions, byt typically there would be some periods when those hotels are fairly empty. The reason also wouldn't apply to many smaller Marriotts or those in locations that don't get a lot of convention traffic.

For some group contracts, the organizer gets some "free" suites to gives to officers of the organization, convention plannners, etc.
Yeah but what kind of suites they may grab? Executive or Presidential or Signature?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Wink

I stayed in Marriott JW Chongqing, JW KUL, Marriott Shanghai City Centre, JW marriott Shanghai, Renaissance Yu garden @Shanghai, and a bunch of Shanghai marriott and renaissances. Also Beijing City Wall Marriott, JW marriott, Bangkokg JW, Bangkok Renaissance, Phuket JW, Koh Lak JW, Koh Samui ReN. Honkong JW. Hongkong MR Skycity.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by Delta3MM

Here are the terms:

I just wonder if the suite upgrade/ room upgrade inventory of plat members will be the same as the gold members?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GDaoV
I'm running 40-50% in the US... I guess it all about location, location, location...
In US I got upgraded at Renaissance Boston( Vice Presidential Suite), Marriott Coply Place and Miami Key West MR, Miami JW. Thats all I have. No thing @others inclunding Courtyard, Resindence Inn or anything else.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:17 pm

I stayed in Marriott JW Chongqing, JW KUL, Marriott Shanghai City Centre, JW marriott Shanghai, Renaissance Yu garden @Shanghai, and a bunch of Shanghai marriott and renaissances. Also Beijing City Wall Marriott, JW marriott, Bangkokg JW, Bangkok Renaissance, Phuket JW, Koh Lak JW, Koh Samui ReN. Honkong JW. Hongkong MR Skycity.
Upgrades in China for suite is not that hard to get.

Very surprised to see you post about getting suite upgrade at JW Phuket as it's been reported by many to be nearly impossible to get them to comp a suite.....
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Very surprised to see you post about getting suite upgrade at JW Phuket as it's been reported by many to be nearly impossible to get them to comp a suite.....
Uh.....Just make the comments when you make the reservation. the upgrade code is "RPUP" or whaever. let me check Marriott Quizlet
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

P6 platinum card member
U1 upgrade please

When you book the hotel you can input at the comments blank " P6 U1 to Suite"
Or you can just say you want a suite upgrade.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:25 pm

P6 platinum card member
U1 upgrade please

When you book the hotel you can input at the comments blank " P6 U1 to Suite"
Or you can just say you want a suite upgrade.
P6 does not equal auto upgrade.... not even close. Can ask all you want but some properties it's just not happenin'

Still doubting the PW Phuket upgrade to suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.