Search

Shortcut to Status?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Shortcut to Status?

Hi everyone.

I am writing this from a Marriott in Paris. I am a "Hilton person" (Platinum) but this hotel is in a better location so here I am. This is my first Marriott stay in 2005. In 2004 I only had 1 or 2 stays which is understandable as I am prone to Hiltons.

I stayed here 5 nights last week. This week I am staying 4. Next week I am staying another 4. At the end of these 3 stays and 13 nights I will have completed the requirements for Silver status, which as far as I can tell, is about as useful as a wad of used toilet paper.

It seems to me that there is always some sort of "fast track to gold" offer available for would-be Hilton frequent guests. They are sometimes as few as 4 stays. And while we Hilton regulars like to complain about the 'elite inflation' caused by these kinds of offers, they are nonetheless useful when you ARE in a position to become a regular guest, but you don't want to go through weeks of peon status while you're earning your stripes.

My irritation at my total lack of Marriott status grows daily, particularly as breakfast costs about a billion euros and all I want is a little free croissant and coffee from the lounge which of course I am not allowed into.

Any suggestions, Marriott experts?

Thanks much,

Truly
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:06 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
I was just researching the same thing and found mention of a Platinum Challenge, 18 nights in 90 days.. can anyone vouch for this?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but I probably will anyway.

So you're a loyal Hilton guest who doesn't like that their elite program is watered down with riff-raff. Now you're stuck in a Marriott for awhile and want free breakfast, so you're hoping to short-cut the rules and get them bent for YOU.

The best I can say is to call Marriott Rewards and see what they can do. They may upgrade you to gold or set up some kind of a status match, but rest assured that if your only Marriott business this year is a few nights in Paris, they won't extend the same courtesy ever again in the future.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OTOH -- Marriott Silver is relatively easy to get, and the difference from a points earning standpoint is not much. 20% for silver, 30% for platinum. Plus, you have access to elite offers and so on (I think). So, Silver is worth something.

I'm also a Hilton Diamond, mainly because Hilton treats their Diamonds very well internationally, which is where I redeem my points.

I'm MR plat for the second year now, and will easily make it again this year. I've never redeemed an award with Marriott, and from other threads it doesn't seem like Marriott goes the extra mile for you like Hilton does. Just rumors and speculation at this point, but I'd sure like to know. I have a choice now (new job location) between throwing my business to Marriott or Hilton -- I can get either for about the same price.

Any advice?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:53 pm

Well, I haven't had problems redeeming awards with either Hilton or Marriott. My experience is that both try their best to help you (although YMMV).

What I do is check award availability with Hilton, Marriott, and even Starwood (if they happen to have a property in the area) and select the best under the circumstances.

My only other comment is that it seems that the larger value awards (~200,000 points) are better with Marriott.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:07 pm

Programs: BD Silver, BA Silver, KLM Silver, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, MR Platinum
I e-mailed Marriott a few weeks ago about fat tracking to Plat staus (I'm Hilton Diamond as well) and was given the 18 nights in 90 days challenge. !3 down, 5 to go, should be there by next week.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Truly
Hi everyone.

I am writing this from a Marriott in Paris. I am a "Hilton person" (Platinum) but this hotel is in a better location so here I am. This is my first Marriott stay in 2005. In 2004 I only had 1 or 2 stays which is understandable as I am prone to Hiltons.

I stayed here 5 nights last week. This week I am staying 4. Next week I am staying another 4. At the end of these 3 stays and 13 nights I will have completed the requirements for Silver status, which as far as I can tell, is about as useful as a wad of used toilet paper.

It seems to me that there is always some sort of "fast track to gold" offer available for would-be Hilton frequent guests. They are sometimes as few as 4 stays. And while we Hilton regulars like to complain about the 'elite inflation' caused by these kinds of offers, they are nonetheless useful when you ARE in a position to become a regular guest, but you don't want to go through weeks of peon status while you're earning your stripes.

My irritation at my total lack of Marriott status grows daily, particularly as breakfast costs about a billion euros and all I want is a little free croissant and coffee from the lounge which of course I am not allowed into.

Any suggestions, Marriott experts?

Thanks much,

Truly
Have you inquire at the hotel how much it would cost to upgrade your room to concierge floor? Sometimes the upgrade fee is negotiable for a long term stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.